The I've Seen The Force Awakens Thread (spoilers OBV)

Driver

27 questions answered by TFA novel:

http://mashable.com/2015/12/29/force-awakens-novel/#KS9d5TnEQPq2

#4 Sounds like the PT all over again.

#6 The First Order needed to fire the weapon so that the Resistance could "reveal themselves?"

#9. Rey hears a voice telling her someone is coming back for her? Conversely for #23, that's probably Snoke talking to her at this point.

#10 It would've been cool to see this, mirroring Obi Wan in ANH.

#14 Snoke is PT Palpatine all over again.

#21 Interesting development. Killing Han had the opposite effect Kylo was looking for.

I'm down with the Rey being a Skywalker idea, but it also seems just as plausible to me that she was a young (non-Skywalker) kid in the early stages of Jedi training when all hell broke loose. In that context her "family" would have been the group of new Jedi, and "they" aren't coming back, but there is still one -- Luke.

Also, if Luke left her there, then presumably the village elder dude who was killed at the beginning was keeping an eye on her from afar?

Somebody might have already made these points - sorry if so.

My thoughts exactly on seeing TFA the first time. Notice how she says her "family" will come back for her not "my parents". On my second viewing I couldn't help but think Luke must be her father, or that's what we are supposed to think. Maybe Luke is her father, from a certain point of view? The Jedi are her family.

I'm down with the Rey being a Skywalker idea, but it also seems just as plausible to me that she was a young (non-Skywalker) kid in the early stages of Jedi training when all hell broke loose. In that context her "family" would have been the group of new Jedi, and "they" aren't coming back, but there is still one -- Luke.

Also, if Luke left her there, then presumably the village elder dude who was killed at the beginning was keeping an eye on her from afar?

My thoughts exactly on seeing TFA the first time. Notice how she says her "family" will come back for her not "my parents". On my second viewing I couldn't help but think Luke must be her father, or that's what we are supposed to think. Maybe Luke is her father, from a certain point of view? The Jedi are her family.

I really like that idea, but if she were in training, wouldn't she know he's not a myth?

The exceptional:

Maz Kanata. I love everything about this character. She is new, refreshing, and brilliantly executed. I hope she plays a bigger role, but I doubt it.

I love a intriguing bad guys. I am all in on this Snoke character and The Knights of Ren.

The great:

The casting was brilliant. Rey and Poe knock it out of the park and steal every scene they are in.

There is the perfect amount of nostalgia. Fortunately, there aren't any wink wink moments (at least that I noticed), but the nostalgia either advanced the plot or subtle like my personal favorite, the mouse droid.

The good:

A lot of criticism has been directed at the movie because it too closely mirrors the OT and Rey's quick acquisition of torce (besting Kylo, flying the Falcoln, etc). I am sure fans will try to justify all of this through EU and mental gymnastics, but it was so well executed it doesn't matter. For example, I think most people guessed Han was going to eat it, but it was done exquisitly.

The meh:

I really don't care too much about the mystery about Rey's background. The gravestone by Luke is kinda intriguing I suppose, but that's it. It doesn't bother me if she is Luke's daughter, because like I said earlier, it is all about execution. E8 could make this non-twist awesome, but as of now I kinda wish they let Rey just be her own thing. What's wrong with that?

The ugly:

Forget what I said about the retread of ideas when it comes to the Starkiller Base. There were plenty of opportunities to end this in the same place without this. TFA is at its best when it did it's own thing and took a break from the playbook--I wish Abrams did this here.

Overall I give it a 7.5/ 10. It was clunky in parts (likely due to Disney trying to satisfy everyone) and there were times I felt I was in a toy commercial, but due to strong performances from top to bottom, a few exceptional parts, and overall a tight, cohesive film, I thought this was a good movie. This movie got me excited for Rogue One. I thought TFA was at its best when it was trying to be its own movie, not just another piece in SW films, and I now have high expectations that Rogue One will be its own movie that just happens to tale place in the SW universe.

Guest HantheMann

The ugly:

Forget what I said about the retread of ideas when it comes to the Starkiller Base. There were plenty of opportunities to end this in the same place without this. TFA is at its best when it did it's own thing and took a break from the playbook--I wish Abrams did this here.

Interestingly, isn't Rogue One going to about a bunch of Rebels trying to steal the Death Star plans? Seems like only TPM and ESB are the only movies that are able to avoid those death stars. :yes:

I actually don't mind the Starkiller Base. If I was running a galactic empire I would certainly love to have a weapon that would keep the various planetary systems in line through threat of annihilation. To me, the Starkiller Base is just a new improvement on what any Empire needs to rule the galaxy.

Now, if blowing up another super weapons makes its way into Episode VIII or IX, I think we all will storm the barricades at Disney. :devil:

YESS

All those Rey-alone-by-herself sequences were the highlight of the film for me but that was kind of the best of the best (I dunnaknow ... maybe her eating that weird mouldy bread and putting that helmet on was a close second). Maybe the TIE Fighter cockpit conversation between Poe and Finn (which had a real this-nes to it, for me) is the only other runner-up playing on that emotional level the way I experienced the film.

One thing I also find funny is that with the prequels and midichlorians and all that stuff people complained that The Force lost it's mystery and mysticism. Well now we have Rey getting her powers "too easy" whereas Luke went slower with it and people think it doesn't "make sense". Well The Force is just acting in a mysterious and mystical and unquantifiable way. This is a good thing.

One thing I also find funny is that with the prequels and midichlorians and all that stuff people complained that The Force lost it's mystery and mysticism. Well now we have Rey getting her powers "too easy" whereas Luke went slower with it and people think it doesn't "make sense". Well The Force is just acting in a mysterious and mystical and unquantifiable way. This is a good thing.

exactly. I think the people who don't like it feel that way because it's not how it went for Luke.

I really like that idea, but if she were in training, wouldn't she know he's not a myth?

Memory tampering? She has some memories of him which she interprets as "myths". Maybe in her mind, the person she knows as part of her "family" is different to the Luke Skywalker. Those who hide her might also reinforce that impression.

As to the gravestone. On second viewing I turned to my daughter and said "that's a gravestone." Then I couldn't get it out of my head that it was somewhat significant. Maybe it's just set decoration :)

I noticed that as well today. I was going to ask if it was just because of the sun flare.

I saw it for the second time today. Played much better for me. Helps when you have the IMAX screen and awesome sound. And you don't have to pee really bad.

I liked Rey the first time I saw it but the second time I liked her anymore. She has to be Luke's daughter. If the episodes are all about the Skywalker family as they have said then it has to be. No way the only next generation Skywalker is going to be the douche bag Kylo. Sorry, he didn't grow on me. Hoping it gets better with the next movie and his continued training.

I don't see why everyone is bitching about Fisher's performance. I thought she did alright. Not award worthy but still thought it was okay. It didn't piss me off.

The second time I noticed that, while there are some similarities to ANH, it's not as much of a re-hash as I thought.

The ending pisses me off even more. Not the ending story wise but the 'freeze in place while we fly around you' shot. Seriously, that could have been cut and it could have ended with the looks Luke and Rey give each other.

With all the talk about Rey being the Mary Sue, no one has brought up the fact that with each successive film Leia is going in the opposite direction. She was once the the standard-bearer of the film heroine. The godmother of Ripley, Sarah Connor, etc. But by the time we get to TFA, all she does is stand around being sad.

With all the talk about Rey being the Mary Sue, no one has brought up the fact that with each successive film Leia is going in the opposite direction. She was once the the standard-bearer of the film heroine. The godmother of Ripley, Sarah Connor, etc. But by the time we get to TFA, all she does is stand around being sad.

Leia's the boss. Think of her as the M of this trilogy.

I enjoyed Carrie Fisher's performance a lot more the second time. I was able to get past her stilted General persona and look into her eyes. The Leia we all know and love is still there. When she tells Han to "Stop!"

"Doing what?"

"Anything" Lol. And when she senses Han's death. :heart::(

Most criticism about her performance is more about her look. She got old! So did Han. Nobody criticized his grizzled appearance and everyone just chuckled as he hobbled around with his blaster. He also got to do a lot more fun stuff.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.