The I've Seen The Force Awakens Thread (spoilers OBV)

Driver

You know what's most disappointing about TFA? They got rid of the EU. They hired "experts" in Star Wars lore, including that guy from Shaun of the Dead who is highly critical of the PT. They got rid of Lucas; threw out his outlines and ideas. Abrams talked a great game about practical effects. And so after all this, all those great minds were able to come up with was a rehash of ANH with terrible CGI.

Either way, when I say the intent with Kylo is to give is what we wanted from Anakin, what I mean is-- we see a character who is so internally conflicted between being good or evil that it destroys him.

You speak as though Anakin never showed conflict about his decisions. He wrestled with his choice to abandon his mission on Naboo and save Shmi.

After slaughtering the Tusken Raiders, he slipped back and forth between between his anger and his guilt.

He let himself be goaded into killing Dooku. He immediately states that he shouldn't have done it, but lets himself be talked into believing it was the right thing to do.

He stared into space, had a wet dream and told Padme in a monotoned voice, "I have to go"

After killing the Tuskens he said he liked fixing thinhgs, hated sand and he threw a cup.

After killing Dooku he literally mumbled. "I shouldn't have done that."

If you really don't see the difference between Hayden Christenson mumble-scowling his way through terrible dialog and Adam Driver delivering actual nuance and emotion while behind a mask, I don't think we can actually debate the point.

Yes, everything you pointed out was an example of where Anakin was supposed to be conflicted-- but they were poorly written and horribly executed and never once cared for a single second. That may have been the intent, but it didn't work.

Lucas constantly breaks the #1 rule of screenwriting, he tells us instead of showing us. Anakin doesn't really make us feel bad for him. He TELLS us why he's conflicted and he scowls and acts like my 10 year old when I take away his 3DS.

Kylo Ren I bought because it was an actual performance, he showed real emotion-- the scenes gave us time to see how he felt-- he never just flat out told us. It was actual acting, not a digitally pieced together reciting of memorized bad lines.

You know what's most disappointing about TFA? They got rid of the EU. They hired "experts" in Star Wars lore, including that guy from Shaun of the Dead who is highly critical of the PT. They got rid of Lucas; threw out his outlines and ideas. Abrams talked a great game about practical effects. And so after all this, all those great minds were able to come up with was a rehash of ANH with terrible CGI.

I think they got more than they miss and ditching Lucas was the best thing to do.

Guest madddox

They BOTH had to go if we wanted anything good.

Pretty much.

Star Wars was going to have to evolve past GL at some point or another, it's too amazing of a sandbox to not get to play in just because of one guy and his stubborness. I will always appreciate GL for what he's done, but it was time to move on.

TFA is not a perfect movie, but it's a really great Star Wars movie. There's something wonderful about that.

An important point about Kylo: he was injured. The film makes a point to show how powerful Chewie's bowcaster is for a reason. A healthy, fully trained Kylo is going to be a lot more powerful.

Also, he might take more after Leia and just be powerful in the Force mentally, not physically. That's why he blames his father for being weak.

Guest madddox

An important point about Kylo: he was injured. The film makes a point to show how powerful Chewie's bowcaster is for a reason. A healthy, fully trained Kylo is going to be a lot more powerful.

Also, he might take more after Leia and just be powerful in the Force mentally, not physically. That's why he blames his father for being weak.

To add to the fact that he was injured and also pretty cocky and arrogant about his abilities (watch the Finn fight again, he's angry at him and clearly playing with him so he can show him up), I feel that while Kylo has more formal training in the force than both Finn and Rey put together, his potential level is not as high as Rey who has no formal training, but seems like she's far more gifted. Keeping in mind he was injured (from Chewie and Finn), angry, surprised, and a host of other emotions considering he just murdered his father, it's no wonder he "lost" the fight to Rey who had just learnt how to tap into the force and was most likely flowing with confidence after nearly facing death a few moments earlier. You could even argue she may have shown some raw anger as a result of not being able to fully control what she had tapped into. But after watching it twice I just can't see how people are misinterpreting this fight as Rey completely owning Kylo. Considering we had just met these characters, this was an amazing fight full of emotion. It's one of the highlight scenes of the movie for me, every note hit pretty much perfect.

Yes, it was the most memorable and powerful scene in the movie for me (I want to see it again, but I want it to be as good second time around too)

I loved all of Rey & Kylo's scenes, but the moment when Rey realizes she can survive this encounter and starts fighting back was something I just wasn't expecting this movie to deliver

Nothing special? Yeah, right

I wanna see Rey talk shit to Ren next fight. "I totally owned you last time, bitch. Sure you don't wanna go hide under Snoke's skirt?"

It's an interesting switch to see the bad guy get his ASS KICKED in the opening movie of one of these trilogies. (Maul was a one shot and took one with him)

Something that kind of sprung up in my mind this past weekend: What if Ben / Kylo is playing the long con?

It would kind of play into the idea of him being so emotionally distraught and conflicted. For some reason or another, he's chosen to go "deep undercover" and play along with Snoke as a Sith fanboy and finally rid the galaxy of that last remnant of the dark side. Perhaps that was the intention at first, but he's gone too far. Killing his dad wasn't entirely unlike Snape having to kill Dumbledore, as it was something that had to be done in order for the whole plan to work out.

I'll have to see it again before I can say it was emotional or not. But I saw it coming so, no, it wasn't emotional for me. I also had a bladder that was about to explode at the time so that could have something to do with it as well.

Something that kind of sprung up in my mind this past weekend: What if Ben / Kylo is playing the long con?

It would kind of play into the idea of him being so emotionally distraught and conflicted. For some reason or another, he's chosen to go "deep undercover" and play along with Snoke as a Sith fanboy and finally rid the galaxy of that last remnant of the dark side. Perhaps that was the intention at first, but he's gone too far. Killing his dad wasn't entirely unlike Snape having to kill Dumbledore, as it was something that had to be done in order for the whole plan to work out.

No

Yeah, I don't think that's possible at all. For one, there was a reason to have to kill Dumbledore, not so with Han. Snoke wasn't planning Han's murder, Han wasn't the one person who stood in Snoke's way. The only reason to kill Han was for Kylo to completely turn his back on his past. Other than that, it doesn't make sense.

Plus, Star Wars is always pretty clear cut. The ends don't justify the means, unless you're evil.

Speaking of Kylo's tantrums, I really love the moment where he's tearing up the room and the 2 storm troopers decide to go the other way. THAT is subtle comedy in line with the OT rather than fart jokes and Jar Jar tasering his tongue on an energy beam. Rock on.

That was actually a pretty funny scene. Unfortunately, we still got more of the other comedy that's not. Like when Han and Finn are in the station looking for Rey, as Finn talks to Han, Han spots her climbing the walls opposite them. He starts doing the head bob pointing toward her. Finn, rather than looking over at what Han is pointing at, just keeps yapping away continuously asking over and over, why are you doing that? Why are you shaking your head like that? Right, because if I'm talking to someone and they start looking behind me while pointing, I just keep asking why are they doing that rather than looking behind me to see what they see.

Also, going back to the Stormtroopers. What was up with them flying around every time they got shot? Did the First Order recruit from Cirque du Soleil? During the shoot outs whenever any of them was hit they'd whirl around and trapeze a few times before falling to the ground. Another thing that kept taking me out of the movie.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.