The I've Seen The Force Awakens Thread (spoilers OBV)

Driver

One thing I was thinking is that Ren really needs to step it up in Episode 8 from a story perspective. Think about it, I don't think it's a far leap to think that Episode IX will feature a Ren vs Rey dual near the climax. Here is the problem as of now, Rey has already beaten him. It can't be "Rey, you must face Kylo Ren again!" "Yeah, sure I kicked his ass last time, no biggie."

Ren needs to seem unbeatable. That needs to happen in Episode VIII. Maybe something like we see him throughout the movie just super strong leading The First Order, but he always remembers Han's words that Snoke will crush him once he is no longer needed. Kylo decides to turn tables and figures he doesn't need Snoke anymore and kills him first, taking complete control of The First Order.

Then during the climax he gets the chance vs Rey to redeem himself and he destroys her. It's not even a close fight, Rey is overmatched. However before he can finish her off Luke arrives. Ren faces Luke and after a long dual he kills Luke. Rey manages to escape.

Something like this would really set Ren up for IX. Ofcourse there are plenty of other ways to accomplish that. But really we need to see Ren become much, much more powerful in Episode VIII in order for Episode IX to work right.

I love how Uncle Chewie, especially after how protective of the kids he was portrayed as being in the EU, had no compunction over taking a shot at Kylo Ben.

Also didn't mention it-- but I love Ren's slapping at this own wounds to let the pain fuel him.

I love how Uncle Chewie, especially after how protective of the kids he waspirtayed as being in the EU, had no compunction over taking a shot at Kylo Ben.

YES. Hell hath no fury like a Wookiee scorned. I also loved the look on his face after Han hollers "BEN!" and after Kylo takes off his mask. He's super emotional, and it's like he knows what's about to happen.

Also didn't mention it-- but I love Ren's slapping a this own wounds to let the pain fuel him.

I loved this, too. It was almost as if he was trying to make himself angry enough to be the guy he thinks he wants to be.

I keep seeing people bitch that the Force is strong with the Skywalker family but it was completely wasted in Leia other than sensing a couple things because she never uses it. But who's to say she doesn't use it as a General? A lot of General-ing things involve hunches and instinct.

A few things about Rey I noticed last night at my second viewing.

During her force vision, towards the end, someone calls to her. You can just hear a 'Rey' unless I'm terribly mistaken. I thought it sounded like Luke's voice.

Secondly... when Kylo is fishing round in her head when she's in the interrogation room. One of the things he says is along the lines of: "You struggle to sleep at night. I see the Ocean and the Island too". Was she dreaming of Luke's location?? It certainly fits the description!!

This made me think. This is probably the most far-fetched theory but here goes. Did Luke turn R2 back on? Do you think he reached out and brought him back online to reveal his location? I say this because if he has been trying to communicate with Rey I don't think it's beyond the realms of possibility. We don't know how strong Luke is with the force now but if he is able to reach out with the force across the galaxy to Rey... just maybe.

Another bit that lead me to this was when Rey saw Luke in the vision. The bit from the trailer where he was kneeling next to R2 and reaching out with his metal hand. Was that when he gave R2 the map? Did he instruct R2 to go in to hibernation to protect this information? Was it always part of his plan to be found when he wanted to be found??

Feel free to tell me I'm going crazy :)

Guest El Chalupacabra

I was wondering - do you think he could of taken him out but restrained himself because of who Kylo is and just wanted to injure him, or do you think he didn't care and just wanted to take him down because of what he did to Han? Probably more the latter.

I think Chewie was trying to kill Kylo Ren. If it had been anyone else, he would have succeeded, but I think Ren was able to absorb enough of the shot through the force to keep it from being fatal.

Also didn't mention it-- but I love Ren's slapping a this own wounds to let the pain fuel him.

I loved this, too. It was almost as if he was trying to make himself angry enough to be the guy he thinks he wants to be.

So did I. I like how Kylo Ren needs to keep reminding himself to "beware of the light side of the force." Again, a total inversion of what jedi do. I don't think we have ever seen a Sith or dark sider specifically say that, at least on screen. It's just always assumed that once you are evil, you are evil 100% of the time. We knew Vader (in ROTJ) was conflicted, but we never hear Palpatine actually caution him of the "danger" of the light side. We see sith lords egg people on to tap into the power of the dark side, or not to be "weak," but in Ren's case, it's like he is actually scared of "falling to the light side" in the same way jedi fear falling to the dark side, and I don't think it is just because he is scared to face what evil he has done (that is certainly part of it, but not the only reason). It's like he has true fear of the light side, sort of like Dracula fearing a crucifix.

I keep seeing people bitch that the Force is strong with the Skywalker family but it was completely wasted in Leia other than sensing a couple things because she never uses it. But who's to say she doesn't use it as a General? A lot of General-ing things involve hunches and instinct.

Excellent point. Not only hunches, but like Mace Windu was supposedly capable of doing, she could possibly use the force to see vulnerabilities in her opponents in a split second, or use the force to see several possible future outcomes, and choose the best option.

A few things about Rey I noticed last night at my second viewing.

During her force vision, towards the end, someone calls to her. You can just hear a 'Rey' unless I'm terribly mistaken. I thought it sounded like Luke's voice.

Secondly... when Kylo is fishing round in her head when she's in the interrogation room. One of the things he says is along the lines of: "You struggle to sleep at night. I see the Ocean and the Island too". Was she dreaming of Luke's location?? It certainly fits the description!!

This made me think. This is probably the most far-fetched theory but here goes. Did Luke turn R2 back on? Do you think he reached out and brought him back online to reveal his location? I say this because if he has been trying to communicate with Rey I don't think it's beyond the realms of possibility. We don't know how strong Luke is with the force now but if he is able to reach out with the force across the galaxy to Rey... just maybe.

Another bit that lead me to this was when Rey saw Luke in the vision. The bit from the trailer where he was kneeling next to R2 and reaching out with his metal hand. Was that when he gave R2 the map? Did he instruct R2 to go in to hibernation to protect this information? Was it always part of his plan to be found when he wanted to be found??

Feel free to tell me I'm going crazy :)

I think those are good points. I don't see anything that would prevent Luke from being able to do that. Anakin could sense his mother was in trouble from light years away. I've been of the opinion that in ROTS, Anakin's visions of Padme dying were sent to him by Palpatine to manipulate him. Leia sensed Luke was in trouble at Bespin, and also Han's death. Luke sensed his friends were in pain in Cloud City from Dagobah. If he can sense that far away as a mere padawan-level jedi, it doesn't seem far fetched at all for him to be able to reactivate R2 from hibernation mode, as a jedi master. And if he can do that, I can buy him contacting Rey, too.

I'm down with the Rey being a Skywalker idea, but it also seems just as plausible to me that she was a young (non-Skywalker) kid in the early stages of Jedi training when all hell broke loose. In that context her "family" would have been the group of new Jedi, and "they" aren't coming back, but there is still one -- Luke.

Also, if Luke left her there, then presumably the village elder dude who was killed at the beginning was keeping an eye on her from afar?

Somebody might have already made these points - sorry if so.

It's obvious The Force is trying to guide her to Luke, but that doesn't have to mean she is Luke's daughter. In fact in movies alot of times the "child they never had" relationship can be alot more interesting and bittersweet than an actual parent-child relationship.

Just a few fleeting thoughts:

How would you guys feel about Lando making an appearance in episode eight for Han's sake? Maybe he teams up with Chewie, honors his friend, or tries to turn his son back, or avenge him and plays a part in an attempt to capture/kill ihis son? Billie Dee!

So many people are hating on CG Snoke in here, myself included, although I don't feel super negative about it. He's only in like three minutes of the movie, so he's not that much of a factor really, so the damage is minimal.

Poe and Finn. Rey and Finn. BB8 and Poe, Rey, Finn. These are the relationships that are forged and shown in this movie. JJ accomplished this in like ten minutes of screen time. He did what George Lucas couldn't accomplish in three prequel movies. That just shows that JJ listened to fan criticisms, took them seriously, and worked his ass off on this movie. He did an amazing job. Take that six month family vacation now, you've definitely earned it. I sir would like to buy you a drink, if I were afforded the opportunity. Thank you!

I think Lando could be in the movie but it's tricky. I probably wouldn't want a cameo, because it was just distract from what was going on in the movie. However I also don't want him to have like a huge role. So they kinda need to find a small but needed role in the movie for Lando.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.