The I've Seen The Force Awakens Thread (spoilers OBV)

Driver

Guest El Chalupacabra

Oh, I'm not forgetting those lines from the trailer. :)

Those two unanswered questions are answered in the film. The Republic secretly supports the Resistance (mentioned in the crawl and Hux's speech). The Republic can't fight against the First Order because of the peace treaty, which is called the Galactic Concordance. (Revealed in other sources.)

The Hosnian System (mentioned in the Resistance scenes) was destroyed. It was the capital of the Republic (mentioned by Hux in his speech). The Republic chose the Hosnian system because they didn't want to reestablish on Coruscant.

Thanks for that info. So this is a completely new system, then.

I am surprised JJ Abrams didn't blow up Coruscant. That would have been more ballsy, and impactful. We know Coruscant from the other films. Maybe JJ didn't want it taken the wrong way as a direct dis on the Prequels. Or, maybe there are some legal issues involved with the prequels or EU novels?

Yeah-- as always EFF THE EU.

It should have been Coruscant for visual continuity.

And I don't love THE FORCE GUIDES EVENTS as an excuse for coincidences. I didn't like it in the OT either.

As for the Resistance and its Relation to the Republic, I thought it was pretty clear from the crawl. It was what most of us assumed.

The Alliance restablished the Republic. The Resistance was a Republic backed paramilitary underground force working inside First Order territory.

Like the Allied Forces in WW2 backing the French Resistance.

Guest El Chalupacabra

Yeah-- as always EFF THE EU.

It should have been Coruscant for visual continuity.

Agreed. Hosnian Prime (?) even looked like Coruscant. So, it might as well have been Coruscant.....unless the First Order still holds it.

And I don't love THE FORCE GUIDES EVENTS as an excuse for coincidences. I didn't like it in the OT either.

Nor do I, but it is Star Wars. Simplistic, linear plots and motivations for all ages, I guess!

As for the Resistance and its Relation to the Republic, I thought it was pretty clear from the crawl. It was what most of us assumed.

The Alliance restablished the Republic. The Resistance was a Republic backed paramilitary underground force working inside First Order territory.

Like the Allied Forces in WW2 backing the French Resistance.

I missed that part. Thanks for pointing that out. Makes much more sense now. So basically, divided galaxy. Republic, and First Order (what's left of the Empire), with the resistance attempting to overthrow the First Order in its own territory. Seems so obvious now, I don't know why I didn't get that!

Episode VII

THE FORCE AWAKENS

Luke Skywalker has vanished. In his absence, the sinister FIRST ORDER has risen from the ashes of the Empire and will not rest until Skywalker, the last Jedi, has been destroyed.

With the support of the REPUBLIC, General Leia Organa leads a brave RESISTANCE. She is desperate to find her brother Luke and gain his help in restoring peace and justice to the galaxy.

Leia has sent her most daring pilot on a secret mission to Jakku, where an old ally has discovered a clue to Luke’s whereabouts….

Read More: Read the Full ‘Star Wars: The Force Awakens’ Opening Crawl | http://screencrush.com/star-wars-the-force-awakens-opening-crawl/?trackback=tsmclip

Guest El Chalupacabra

But if the Hosnian system is the new capital, that was basically an act of war declared. That kinda got glossed over if you ask me.

It was kind of glossed over, just like

Han's death!

From a general writing standpoint I agree with you 100% But this is woven into the DNA of the story. To strike this as a mark against any of the movies would be like marking against a sports movie because an inferior team won the big game at the end. Its the story we're watching

Guest El Chalupacabra

Agreed, SD!

It can seem too convenient, and I get what Driver is saying, and it literally is a bit of a hand of God thing, but it has been written that way since ANH.

Defying physics I can accept, the Force bringing people together I can accept... To an extent.

I really really really really struggle with how Rey steals the Falcon then ten minutes later runs into its former owner who wasn't specifically looking for it, who also happens to be the key to getting her to the Resistance and also is probably her uncle.

Again, one line-- ONE line from Han could fix it. "Soon as you fired the Falcon up it set off a tracking device I left on board."

Again, one line-- ONE line from Han could fix it. "Soon as you fired the Falcon up it set off a tracking device I left on board."

Pssst... again, I am pretty sure he said something to that extent when they were looking for a "ship that wan't marked" to take off.

Will see it again tomorrow and confirm.

:eek:

I think he said that ships were easy to spot in the system and that if they spotted the Falcon so could the Order.

Not that they were specifically looking for the Falcon.

Since Han was obviously miffed at losing his boat, I didn't interpret it as an active search so much as:

CHINCHILLA: Rowrreagggghghhh ("YT-1300 just spotted taking off from Jakku!" *OR* "Holy ****, skin-daddy, the Millennium Falcon's tracking beacon just went off!")

HAM SALAD: Let's check it out, fuzzball!

*zips on over to intercept*

Of course, the above exchange all happens off screen in my head, but from what I did see, I definitely got the idea that there was a passive -- maybe mostly given up -- search for his old ship, and that they got a "YT-1300 Sighted!" report or some sort of beacon on it began, uh, beaconing when the ship powered up.

I get that it's not 100% clear, and that it takes a lot of inferring on my part, but it works for me, and I like how it puts my imagination to work. I also don't know why it's OK with me when Star Wars requires me to make leaps like that (in fact, Star Wars is at its worst when it explains stuff too clearly, IMO), while I'd absolutely criticize another film for it.

I mean, at the end of ANH, Han is going to take his reward and pay off his debts, yet he still owes Jabba in ESB with no explanation. Why didn't he make the payment? Why is he still running afoul of bounty hunters? Other (thankfully, non-canonical) stories have filled in the blanks here, but as a person who only views the films, you have to piece it together yourself, and for some reason, it's OK -- not just "The writers forgot or were lazy and wanted to create more challenges for Han."

Personally, I'm more bothered by the Imperials simply deactivating the MFs hyperdrive on Bespin instead of just locking the entire ship down, when they know there's this terrorist superdroid out there that can hack, activate, or deactivate virtually anything just by putting one of his penises into it.

:eek:

Gollum looked less cgi than Snoke

Yeah, Snoke looked exceptionally sub-par compared to the other creatures. Maybe adding the fuzz and wiggle of being a hologram called out the CG more than expected.

Yes. As good as this film looked overall, there were definitely questionable moments of CGI. I know it's too early to talk Special Editions, but I definitely won't have a problem if some of the CGI gets cleaned up down the road.

Especially hope Snoke looks better in future installments, and far more importantly, that he becomes at least halfway as interesting as Kylo.

I knew there'd be some CGI aliens-- but given how hard JJ was talking about a return to practical effects, I was surprised that two big speaking roles were all CG.

It surprised me in the prequels, and even more so here-- but I don't know why they don't do more of a mix for creatures. Falling Skies, a mid-budget TNT show has some great aliens that are practical masks/suits that are given a digital tweaking and make over to add blinks and facial expressions. It's so much better than all cgi.

I didn't have a problem with Maz-- just surprised she wasn't more practical. I thought the performance and voice were great and very Star Wars. A Yoda for us without being Yoda.

But yeah, Snoke was both poor quality and an uninspired design.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.