The I've Seen The Force Awakens Thread (spoilers OBV)

Driver

Really, ONE LINE could have fixed it. Han could have said they were in the system looking for his old ship and had tracked it that far. I could have bought just the one coincidence that it was one of the few ships on the planet available to Rey. I might have bought those odds. But the way it played out was just too handy.

Didn't Han mention something about how easy it was to track the Falcon once it took off, which was why they needed an unmarked ship? I don't remember if he said they were actively looking for it, but he was clear it was super easy to find, I thought...

I generally agree with your review, though.

Especially Kylo being how Anakin shoulda been, etc...

The score took me out of the movie a few times because I couldn't hear any music. There are some places where it makes sense to not have it, but there were others that just seemed strange to me. I started listening to the soundtrack earlier and, like Metropolis said, it seems much better on that than it did in the movie, though there still aren't many themes that strike me as particularly memorable. Of course, it is also incredibly difficult to live up to the iconic themes and hooks from the OT.

I would definitely agree that it's the most disappointing score of the series. We finally busted out TPM for our daughter this week, and for all of its flaws, the score is wonderful. It IS Star Wars. This was meh.

The thing about a new Star Wars movie is its always surreal the first time you see it. You're not sure its really Star Wars yet. I'm still absorbing it.

Carrie Fisher was kind of disappointing. Has she not really acted in a number of years? Harrison Ford was great, but he gets regular work. Something about her tone was just off. It was like I see Princess Leia, but she doesn't feel like Princess Leia. It felt like Princess Leia on Xanax. Mark Hamill didn't even say a word and demonstrated more emotion than she did.

More thoughts later, phone is dying and I need to get this last heathen chil in bed.

I'm kind of shocked about the love for Kylo. I thought he was an emo brat just like Anakin (although with much better acting). I'm really hoping they develop him further in VIII. Right now he pales in comparison to Vader. Not even the same ballpark. I get he is untrained but he just played as one of those kids you just want to smack in the back of the head.

Overall I liked the movie. It felt like a Star Wars movie. Love the scene between Han and Leia. Saw the death from a mile away.

It was way too similar to ANH with plot. But I think it was done that way on purpose. Sort of like, 'Here you go fanboys. You got what you want. Now we're going to tell the real story.'

I hated the last shot. The whole 'freeze and hold your pose while we fly around' drove me insane.

Carrie Fisher was kind of disappointing. Has she not really acted in a number of years? Harrison Ford was great, but he gets regular work. Something about her tone was just off. It was like I see Princess Leia, but she doesn't feel like Princess Leia. It felt like Princess Leia on Xanax. Mark Hamill didn't even say a word and demonstrated more emotion than she did.

30 years and daily death sticks will do that to ya.

Maybe this is too generous or maybe I'm rationalizing, but viewed her as an extremely weary person, which, given that she's essentially still fighting after decades and had the disappointment of a child becoming supremely ****ing evil, kind of made sense to me.

:eek:

OK so here's the good the bad and the ugly...

Politics:

OK so politics is boring right? Too much of it in the prequels and all that. Well there wasn't enough in TFA. We can all agree that at least we knew the state of the galaxy in the OT. It wasn't thrust in our face but we understood who was in charge and why there was a rebellion. In TFA I'm really confused. Where did The First Order come from? It's not major but it would be nice to have an idea. During the movie TFO mentions the Republic so we know we're back to republic status. But this becomes another problem. Because although they are fighting the Republic. Why do we have a Resistance? Surely the Resistance and the Republic are one and the same? Why are they a separate entity? Also, the choice of name "Resistance" is not normally associated with a defence force of some kind and normally they are somehow an uprising against oppression. The First Order is more of a resistance than this new rebellion. I can only surmise that the Republic have chosen not to lift a finger to defend themselves against TFO so Leia and pals formed a resistance? I don't know. Can anyone explain?

Evocation:

This film borrows heavily. There are so many co-incidences. I got the Tarkin/Vader Vibe from Ren/Hux. We had "ANOTHER DEATH STAR!!!" (See LEGO Star Wars for reference). I got ROTJ feelings when Rey and Han visited Maz Kanata. That place just reminded me of Jabba's palace. Even the walk to find the lightsaber reminded me of Leia going to rescue Han. We had the placing of the bombs a-la Han and Chewie on Endor. Poe's trip inside the Starkiller Base was reminiscent of Wedge and Lando entering the superstructure of Death Star 2. Scenes inside Starkiller base reminded me of ANH when they were trying to break Leia out of the detention block. They even joked about a trash compactor!! Maz Kanata was the new Yoda. Placing vital information inside a Droid rings a bell as well. The best was when the flashback sequence from Rey's Force Vision took her to the walkway on Cloud City, That was a truly stunning scene.

Finn:

Oh dear. Now I like Finn and I've already stated that he was 50% comic relief and 50% point of view. But the narrative wasn't strong enough to support his flip. In fact it made it less believable. We learn from Hux and Finn that the troopers are taken when young and conditioned all their lives to serve the First Order. Now I can see the crisis of confidence. What they were asked to do, killing the innocent villagers was plain wrong and I could see it causing conflict. But to suddenly develop a personality? That I find harder to believe. I can't see it being all jokes and fun with TFO. It was suddenly a big flip to go from Stormtrooper to class clown. Then we had him wielding a lightsaber in one of JJ's cunning deceptions and not managing to lose a limb or disembowel himself. As mentioned above, he didn't do so well. But I think Driver called it about someone just picking up a 'Saber and becoming adept. The fact he managed to last more than a few seconds against Kylo Ren was poor. The guy can suspend blaster fire in mid air with a thought but can't dispatch a novice like Finn?

The structure of the scenes lead you to believe that dear Finn has assisted the Resistance by supplying them with information about Starkiller Base. Leia asks them to tell them all he can. Then he's in the briefing room and a big image appears of the base. He's able to explain components of the base and give them an 'in' to take the base down. But then we learn he worked in SANITATION. So, Toilet Trooper suddenly has access to classified schematics and has knowledge of the inner workings of the superweapon? Sure the Resistance could have gotten their pictures from Bothan Spies again but that's not explained. But I find it really hard to piece this all together and make it believable with the way the scenes were shot and the little information we were given. Which brings me on to...

JJ:

God love him. I think he's brought us a fantastic Star Wars installment and I really enjoy his films for the most part. But the guy is the perfect example of the end justifying the means. Driver explains it better than me. But his style is almost to carry you on to the next scene before you can think about what just happened or more importantly why. His films have created plot devices in the past just to justify the next step. I don't think there is anything majorly glaring about this film but there are bits that I've mentioned above that are just glossed over. Driver gave the prime example with Han and Chewie showing up to capture the Falcon. It didn't matter how or why they got there... just that they did. That scene with the pirates was all Simon Pegg though. From the juxtaposition to the dialogue to the humour. I believe he's had JJ's ear and been 'advising' him about how to make Star wars. I felt transported out of Star Wars and in to another movie.

Lawrence Kasdan:

So... I don't get the love. I'm sorry. The screenplay wasn't that great. It hardly offered anything new and the plot was thin at best. Yet he's being heralded as the guy who's come in to save Star Wars and was the main creative force behind ESB. Didn't he co-write ROTJ as well? You know... officially the worst one until 1999? (yet, perversely, my favourite :) ). One line really sticks out to me where Snoke says "There has been an awakening... the Dark and the light...". What does this mean? We know Rey is the Light but where was the rest of it? It can't be Ren because he's already been around and is established as Dark. Snoke also says this to Ren and this would imply it's not him. So where is the rest of it?

Rey:

Rey was adorable. I liked the way she had almost a child-like quality to her. She smiled and was fun and it gave a lot of weight to the moments when she was alone, parentless and struggling for food on Jakku. From the trailers I expected something different. I expected maybe a harder more tough young woman. But she had a certain vulnerability to her that just made her so much more real. Like all the new actors she was brilliant and probably the stand-out performance by an inch. I wouldn't be surprised if she wins some awards for this performance. There was a continuing "I don't need rescuing" theme. In fact, she does probably more rescuing than anyone else. Girl Power and all that!! I was proud for her to be the new main character and I hope she becomes an inspiration to my daughters. I was initially a little bit worried when she started to learn to be a Jedi all by herself with no tuition. Especially the mind trick thing. But I had a conversation last night that made a lot of sense. Maybe she learned a lot from looking inside Kylo Ren's mind. Maybe it was becoming apparent to her what the force is capable of and she used this knowledge and her feelings to guide her. Certainly food for thought. Her fight with Kylo at the end was clever as well. She fought like a novice at the beginning and Ren was just toying with her like a cat with a mouse. It was clear he had an agenda with her and wanted to subdue her so she could be turned. It was only when he mentioned the force that she remembered she could get inside his head and beat him back. I'm looking forward to a lot more Rey :)

Captain Phasma:

Shoehorn anyone? I did say it was a made up role! She was so prominent in the trailers and the build up to the film. But I have to say what was the point of her at all? She was worse than Boba Fett because at least Fett had a purpose as a bounty hunter. Phasma just seemed to walk around and be a bit bossy. I feel really sorry for Gwen Christie as she's such a talented actress. I'd really like to see her used more in the next one if she survived the planetary superweapon blowing up.

Maz Kanata:

Conversely I loved this character. I though Lupita did an amazing job and my daughter commmented on her after the movie as she thought she really stuck out. She was the Yoda replacement but the CG and motion capture acting were brilliant. Lupita's voice acting was spot on. She added a sense of intrigue and magic to the otherwise human led cast.

Supreme Leader Snoke:

I thought he was brilliant. The real embodyment of evil behind Kylo Ren's conflicted and angry antagonist. They did a good job of making Snoke the real villain. I felt like he was actually in the room the first time I saw him. I think it was only when he disappeared after the second conversation that I realised he was a hologram. Technology has moved along! I'd love to know more about him. The sense of intrigue was built up really well. There's a part of me that hopes he's really that big! I'm not a big Serkis fan but I could really appreciate his quality in this. That voice!!

Conclusion:

I thought this was a good Star Wars installment. I am still trying to process a lot of it as others have mentioned. Was it all smoke and mirrors? Time will tell. The movie is not the new "Best One" by any stretch but it's certainly better than the prequels. I'm not a big musical score guy, but even I noticed it felt subdued and not as effective. I think of moments like the establishing shot of Mos Eisley from ANH and the way the music kicks in and I don't remember any bits like that. The pacing was deliberately fast and I can understand that the tempo needed to be set for the coming films. But it did take a little something away. I think I prefer George Lucas's storytelling and pacing. The screen wipes were sorely missed. It helped with the scene setting when moving from one location to another. There were a lot of good points in the film and a handful of great moments. I'm off to see it again later this afternoon so I'm quite intrigued to see how it fares on second viewing.

Predictions:

OK so I'm firmly in the Rey is a Skywalker camp. There was something about that last scene and Luke's eyes. His eyes seemed to be the same as Daisy Ridleys. And his hair seemed a bit deliberate too. Maybe the colour? It seemed darker in this than in the previous films. I also predict that Kylo Ren will be 'More Machine than Man' in the next installment. Something about his injuries and his Vader-worship makes me think he will get the old cyborg treatment. I think to him it will be like getting a tattoo or some kind of badge of honour to feel what it was like to BE Vader. I don't think Finn will become a Jedi but I do have a feeling that Poe Dameron is force sensitive. It's just the way he flies it's instinctive. C-3PO's red arm, I think, is important. I think it may be where Leia keeps her lightsaber as she doesn't carry one. Anyone for Leia somersaulting around like Yoda in the next one?

And Finally:

Greg Grunberg is the new Porkins.

Yeah Greg being Porkins was awesome.

Nobody responded to my question of why Poe's considered part of a "Big 3" instead of it just being a Big 2 but I think the reason is ANH had a Big 3 and people need that for this movie.

About coincidences ... don't mistake fate for coincidence. Lucas once said that Destiny will be satisfied. Luke didn't want to embrace destiny so his Aunt and Uncle had to bite it. If Ani in TPM had refused his destiny then something would have happened to his mother to force it. Fortunately he embraced his destiny.

JJ is clearly doing that here. From a writer's POV is that great story construction? No. It's cheating. But I believe this is an intentional choice harkening back to the originals.

Food for thought. What was Palpy's single biggest mistake in the time between ROTS and ANH? Not devoting the resources to hunting down and destroying OB1 and Yoda. He knew they were alive. He knew how much damage just 2 Force sensitive agents could do to a massive established government. And he knew they could and would recruit more.

It looks like New Palpy learned from this error and that's why there is such commitment to finding Luke.

That had been bothering me for awhile, wondering how it would fit in with everything else once we knew he was playing Kylo Ren. Do we know that is definitely Driver or could it just be someone who looks a lot like him (possibly on purpose)?

Guest El Chalupacabra

Right now he pales in comparison to Vader. Not even the same ballpark.

I think that is the the whole point of Kylo Ren, and he even KNOWS he pales in comparison to Vader. Even Rey picked up on that and taunted him, which makes his frustration all the more.

Re: Driver's question about Han and Leia knowing who Rey is:

I'm pretty sure Han knows. There's a few looks he gives Rey, like she's familiar to him. Then of course there's Maz's line, "who's the girl?", and the next time we see Maz she's giving Rey the old lightsaber. I imagine Maz didn't say anything to her about Luke being her father because it wasn't her place to do so. (Man, I wish we'd seen Han and Maz's conversation. Damn you, JJ!)

Also, Leia only sees Rey at the end, but the look she gives her, and the hug, and the "May the Force be with you," screams familial to me. I had a very close relationship with my aunt, and she thought of me as a daughter, so I could see Leia feeling the same way. Also, Leia wouldn't tell Rey the truth because it's not her place. Although, I also believe Rey figured out the truth for herself. (Which is why I was hoping for Luke to push the lightsaber back at her and then they hug. Can't have dialogue during a final Star Wars scene, but some coda would have been nice. Again, damn you JJ and your mystery box. I bet you're really happy about us asking questions for the next year and a half!)

Forgot to mention, regarding the score, it was underwhelming to me, too. But after listening to the soundtrack I appreciate it a lot more. There's lots of musical cues and motifs harkening back to previous films. I love the use of Princess Leia's theme when the Resistance is first mentioned, and Han and Leia's theme, and the little bits we heard of Luke and Leia's theme (which NEEDS to play during their eventual reunion). The final track is especially excellent, as well as Rey's theme. I find myself humming it a lot. Also, the music when Starkiller Base was used reminded me of the Immolation Scene, and the first Snoke scene reminded me of Palpatine's Teachings.

The score took me out of the movie a few times because I couldn't hear any music. There are some places where it makes sense to not have it, but there were others that just seemed strange to me. I started listening to the soundtrack earlier and, like Metropolis said, it seems much better on that than it did in the movie, though there still aren't many themes that strike me as particularly memorable. Of course, it is also incredibly difficult to live up to the iconic themes and hooks from the OT.

Funny thing is when I saw TFA the second time I noticed the music at first and then lost it again. It does disappear. The Soundtrack is good, but outside of one new theme it really is a blend of OT and even PT themes. There are no real standout tracks, but to get lost in the mix is odd for a Star Wars movie.

Guest El Chalupacabra

As for whether or not Rey is a Skywalker... it is certainly telegraphed pretty hard. The fact that her visions were all moments from Luke's life is pretty on the nose. In fact, they were so on the nose I'd say it's TOO obvious... but then again, I'm the one that argued against people saying Palpatine and Sidious weren't the same by pointing out the pan to him at the end of TPM when Yoda is talking about the Sith. Sometimes a cigar is a cigar.

So if she is s Skywalker, I wouldn't be shocked. But I also wouldn't be surprised if she wasn't.

The one thing that makes it not work for me-- WHY was she ditched? She's not too far apart in age from Kylo Ben and the reason Luke went into hiding is because Kylo killed off his Jedi. Kylo didn't do this as a little kid. At the absolute most he did this maybe 5 years before the movie. Rey was left on Jakku at a much younger age than that.

Why would she be ditched before there was a credible threat to Jedi?

What are you basing the age difference between Rey and Ren on? Adam Driver is 32 and Daisy Ridley is 23. TFA is "roughly" 30 years after ROTJ, give or take. Who is to say that Ren wasn't born within a year after ROTJ, and was 20 when he turned, when Rey was between 6 and 10 when placd into hiding on Jakku? Thats a plausible age gap to me.

Rey was supposed to be 5 or so when she arrived on Jakku (according to Daisy Ridley). According to the novelization, she's 19 during TFA. And I'm assuming she arrived on Jakku right after Kylo went back, which means he'd have to be older - at least a teenager. Right? Unless he just provided information to Snoke? Visual dictionary doesn't have an age on Kylo, but in that flashback scene he's pretty tall, which leads me to believe he was a teenager. He definitely looks older than 19 to me.

That math supports it better than I realized. Perhaps Luke forsaw trouble and had her sent away right before Ren's attack.

I think we posted at the same time-- but I also said that Rey's vision were moments from Luke's life. That is the biggest clue of all. Like I said, I'm not disputing she's Luke's kid-- just wouldn't be shocked if it was a JJ Abrams curveball.

Why not reveal it? Assuming there will be a time jump between 7 and 8, is Luke going to train her and NOT tell her?

Also-- evidence against, Han and Leia would surely know who she is. Even if they didn't recognize her, enough of her story falls into place before their eyes. Even the intent was for them to be keeping a secret I think JJ would have shown us that with more pensive looks.

Well, maybe Luke DOES reveal her heritage in Episode 8 with an "I am your father moment?" We literally only saw a few seconds of their meeting at the end.

As for Han and Leia, I think they both recognized her,but didn't feel it was the time, or their place to say anything. Given that Han even went as far as offering her a "job" and how Leia hugged her after Han died, I think they both knew who Rey was.

If Rey is Luke's daughter, there was a serious reason she was placed on Jakku, and I am guessing it was because they didn't want her to be corrupted like, or by, Kylo Ren. He even offers to train her, remember? This is a dangerous time to be laying down family secrets : reveal it too quickly, she may snap and fall to the dark side....much like LUKE. It was only after Luke had the proper training to resist the Dark Side, and AFTER Vader force their hand and revealed who he was, that Yoda and Obi Wan revealed the truth. So, maybe that is Han and Leia's motivation for not saying anything? They already lost their son to the Dark Side, so imagine how they would feel if they tell Rey who she is, she can't handle it emotionally at the time, and then turns to the Dark Side on them?

I didn't like Snoke. At all. Nothing about him stood out from being different from Palpatine. I'd have much rather the First Order have some old grizzled Imperial in charge. There was no need to have him be a dark sider. I think it would have been more interesting if, since Luke destroyed the Sith, that Kylo Ren was basically doing it all on his own and trained himself.

Well, then you would basically have Thrawn, Driver! And I know how much you loved that. And even Thrawn had to go find himself an insane jedi clone tainted by the dark side to pull things off. Really, the WEAKEST character of TFA was General Hux. I know they were going for that Tarkin-style character, but he just wasn't that interesting. I think they could have used Max Von Sydow instead for THAT role!

Not to mention, it is EXPLICITLY said that the First Order is like the Empire, and the Sith before them: run by the Dark Side. It is the Dark Side that is the enemy: the Sith, The Empire, and the First Order just happen to all be the means of the times for the Dark Side. It doesn't matter what label is used, it is all the Dark Side, and it is always there, like Yin and Yang. And if that is all true, then you need an Emperor-Style villain to channel the dark side.

I happened to like Snoke (just not the name!). Like with the OT, we knew nothing about Palpatine until ROTJ, so I am sure we will get more info on Snoke in later episodes. I think it will be revealed that like Yoda did with the Emperor (or maybe more accurately like Obiwan did with Vader), Luke tried to stop Snoke, but failed to stop him completely. But Snoke looks obviously scared and battle damaged. He is clearly powerful, but maybe after being defeated by Luke physically, Luke and got complacent. Meanwhile Snoke realized he couldn't take Luke head on, so he turned Kylo Ren, and had him do the work Snoke wasn't capable of doing. Sort of an inverse of the Palpatine\Vader dynamic.

This is what intrigues me about Snoke, stupid name notwithstanding. I think it is likely we will have a final showdown. Snoke resembles the original McQuarrie pictures of the Emperor: a tall alien, and Luke was supposed to confront him in a subterranean hellish cave. I really hope we get a bit of General Luke Skywalker from "The Star Wars," rough draft/now graphic novel, and Luke is there to confront Snoke, alongside Rey and Finn. Maybe Luke dies doing it, like Qui Gon, leaving Rey to deliver the final death blow to Snoke and the First Order. Maybe Rey must confront Ren, while Luke confronts Snoke? Who knows at this point.

The other thing that really gave me trouble, is the HUGE handy coincidence that Han Solo just happened to be in the system where his old ship was currently living after it was stolen from him years ago, AND it just so happened to be the ship that Rey stole AND they just happened to bump into each other.
I, too, was bothered by the serendipity of it all. Especially the Millenium Falcon just happening to be on Jakku, where Rey lives, and where Max Von Sydow happened to be, which brought the First Order to Jakku in the first place. But the fact that the Falcon was stolen (like Han would let that happen in the first place), and the fact he finds it coincidentally, did bother me. But, that fits with ANH, and TPM, really. Like Obi Wan said "there's no such thing as luck." Maybe it was the force guiding events.

a lot of unanswered questions

As far as your problem with the unanswered questions, Driver, I also share your frustration.
The unanswered questions that frustrated me most were;
1. What exactly is the relationship between the Republic and the Resistance? Is the Resistance a break away faction from the Republic that is still allied to it? Is it just the name of the military branch of the Republic? Was it an Army that was raised in response to the First Order, sort of like the Grand Army of the Republic (clone army)?
2. What planet was it that got nuked by the Starkiller Base? It looked like Coruscant. General Hux blathered on about destroying the Republic Senate, so I assume that is where the Senate is, right? Seemed like Coruscant to me.
But, I suspect that leaving things unanswered was done for a couple reasons. First, the OT had unanswered questions, like "who was Luke's Father," "what were the Clone Wars," etc. The idea of giving some info, but not enough and having some mystery, makes it interesting. When you think about it, the PT explained every minute detail, even midichlorians. So I am thinking Abrams wanted to go back to the mystery aspect. Second, I know that there is a huge market for novels and comics that they plan to tap, so things like C3P0's red arm, who Max Von Sydow is, etc may be explained there. Third, there surely will be a plethora of CGI series and spin off movies. I am sure after Star Wars Rebels is done, we may get a series based between ROTJ and TFA, and I hope they tap Dave Filoni for that.

Guest Domina Crystalli

You guys are forgetting the one time Luke talks in all of this - that one trailer. The "the Force runs strong in my family" monolouge. Now, he could be talking about Kylo Ben (thanks, Tank!)... but when have we ever seen that lightsaber choose someone other than a Skywalker?

(That insight comes to you from Emi)

I don't think both Rey and the Falcon being on Jakku is a coincidence. I think they were hidden together. If Rey thinks the Falcon is just garbage, why would she have followed it's changing hands so closely? I don't give a rat's ass about my neighbor's near-constant sale of his old lemon trucks.

Oh, I'm not forgetting those lines from the trailer. :)

Those two unanswered questions are answered in the film. The Republic secretly supports the Resistance (mentioned in the crawl and Hux's speech). The Republic can't fight against the First Order because of the peace treaty, which is called the Galactic Concordance. (Revealed in other sources.)

The Hosnian System (mentioned in the Resistance scenes) was destroyed. It was the capital of the Republic (mentioned by Hux in his speech). The Republic chose the Hosnian system because they didn't want to reestablish on Coruscant.

(That insight comes to you from Emi)

I don't think both Rey and the Falcon being on Jakku is a coincidence. I think they were hidden together. If Rey thinks the Falcon is just garbage, why would she have followed it's changing hands so closely? I don't give a rat's ass about my neighbor's near-constant sale of his old lemon trucks.

That thinking flies in the face of what is presented on screen. Han and Rey explain that the Falcon was stolen by someone who stole it from someone who stole it from someone who stole it from Han. If its not coincidence, why explain that it is?

Oh, I'm not forgetting those lines from the trailer. :)

Those two unanswered questions are answered in the film. The Republic secretly supports the Resistance (mentioned in the crawl and Hux's speech). The Republic can't fight against the First Order because of the peace treaty, which is called the Galactic Concordance. (Revealed in other sources.)

The Hosnian System (mentioned in the Resistance scenes) was destroyed. It was the capital of the Republic (mentioned by Hux in his speech). The Republic chose the Hosnian system because they didn't want to reestablish on Coruscant.

Is that in Aftermath?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.