The I've Seen The Force Awakens Thread (spoilers OBV)

Driver

I'm also calling it: Ren dies in Episode 9. Snoke kills him. Ren's storyline is a drug abuse story. He's been tempted, he's turned his back on his family, and that's what kills him.

I'm willing to take that bet. I see Ben / Kylo as being almost the polar opposite of Anakin. Anakin was torn by his loyalty to his family, but it caused him to betray them and turn to the dark side. Ben is torn by his betrayal to his family, and it'll cause him to repent and turn to the light.

Loved it! Probably the best in the series, though obviously lacking the cultural impact of the original. In retrospect, the fact I expected it to be an homage of bantha poodoo smeared on mirrors by a mentally deficient manchild really helped -- managed to go in 100% unspoiled, and was genuinely surprised a time or two.

Loved the designs, the heft of the action (thanks, practical effects), thought all the new characters were all very good, was not painful or forced seeing old favorites (and omg Han's death sooooo sad), and best of all, it raised more questions thank it answered. For the first time since ESB, I left a Star Wars movie annoyed that I have to wait for the next one. Feels good man.

Only major critique was yet another superweapon -- when it was displayed against the original Death Star, I thought to myself "Oh look: a bigger, blacker dick!" and had to stifle laughter during this Very Serious Planning Moment. Score was very bland, and too many nods and parallels to ANH. Minor gripe is the complete and utter incompetence of most of the bad guys -- but that's been a defining feature since the beginning, so perhaps it is unfair.

Anyway, overall super-awesome, and will see again!

Guest El Chalupacabra

True, we haven't seen anyone else try to do it, but we have seen a situation where Vader was torturing someone to get information that it seems like Ren could just pluck out of her mind.

I'm also calling it: Ren dies in Episode 9. Snoke kills him. Ren's storyline is a drug abuse story. He's been tempted, he's turned his back on his family, and that's what kills him.

True, but we don't know exactly what went on when Vader interrogated Leia. And in TESB, Vader was torturing to bring Luke to cloud city so pain was the point.

I'm listening to the Soundtrack right now and I must say that it pretty good. Not as booming as any of the themes for the PT, but effective nonetheless. I'm wondering if it the way it was mixed. I'm going to see it again in an hour so I'll see if I notice it more.

Ep. 8 prediction.....Snoke is taller than Yoda, but shorter than Luke.

I saw this posted at a different site: "Listen to the track titled Snoke on TFA soundtrack. Then listen to Palpatine's Teachings on the Revenge of the Sith soundtrack. They are exactly the same. Palpatine's Teachings is where Palpatine told Anakin the story of Darth Plagueis. I've played both tracks at the same time, and cannot tell the difference between the two."

Can you tell us if this is true? Do those two tracks sound the same? This person's theory was that since they do this means Snokes = Darth Plagueis.

I heard that when I listened to that track. Just got out of the movie again and I'm going to go one step further. Is Snoke Palpatine? His figure looks like it has the same hair.

For those who went in unspoiled, was it worth it? Did avoiding spoilers make it more enjoyable, or more confusing?

People I've spoken with who have seen the film are still trying to figure out names, places, and events. They've "seen" the film, but haven't figured out what was what and who was who yet. Can't figure that kind of confusion makes a film more enjoyable.

Pav I'd recommend seeing it without spoiling yourself.

I get what people are saying though because apart from Starkiller Base and Jakku you don't know really where you are. I had to look on IMDB to see who Max Von Sydow's character was. It was hinted he was someone from yesteryear but alas I don't think he was!!

Oh, I'm spoiled rotten, Stevil. It's too late for me. Hell, I'm just glad some other people finally caught up with me! I just consider my first viewing to be my second viewing of it. Lots of fans will see it more than once. They'll probably find it far more enjoyable the second go than the first one.

For those who went in unspoiled, was it worth it? Did avoiding spoilers make it more enjoyable, or more confusing?

People I've spoken with who have seen the film are still trying to figure out names, places, and events. They've "seen" the film, but haven't figured out what was what and who was who yet. Can't figure that kind of confusion makes a film more enjoyable.

A film should be able to stand alone. An audience should not have to have read other media or paid attention to spoilers to understand what was going on with names, places, and especially the events happening in the film. If these things are not clear, then the film failed in some respects.

It was interesting to see it relatively unspoiled, but I don't know if seeing the trailers and knowing the names of the major characters counts as unspoiled

I hadn't seen a movie in a theater for 15 years prior to this and had got used to watching movies on TV and being able to look up details up on the internet if I needed to, so only getting one chance to take everything in took a bit of getting used to. I didn't remember all of it, such as any details about the smugglers on Solo's freighter, or the names of the planets that got destroyed, or the names of any locations apart from Jakku and Starkiller Base now that I've thought about it

It didn't lead to confusion and it didn't make the film less enjoyable, but I think it's a consequence of having far too much stuff in this movie, and that made it less enjoyable for me in other ways (still unpacking that). I'll remember more stuff if I see it again (think I will, but haven't decided when), but I'd rather there was less stuff to remember in the first place

I keep seeing people miss this, so posting it here:

Artoo only "woke up" once he saw Rey. He only gave them the missing part of the map once Rey arrived.

Luke programmed him to that. Why? It's not hard to figure out. He wasn't "hiding," he was waiting, too.

Not convinced it was Rey's presence that stimulated R2. Pretty sure that it was BB-8. He had the info on Luke's location.

Anyway, since when does anyone program R2-D2?

Artoo didn't wake up because he saw BB-8. Remember Artoo woke up the second time BB-8 comes to him after the Starkilker battle. That scene doesn't clearly show that he ever saw Rey.

My guess is that Artoo has entered the modern world and had wi-fi installed. I think he somehow finally acquired the missing pieces of the map. If he had known Rey, it would have been her as a little girl. Not saying its not possible, its just a lot to assume.

BB-8 recognized Poe's jacket. Pretty sure Artoo could recognize a voice. Also, remember the vision: Luke gave Artoo something.

Why would Rey dream of an island where Luke is if she's not a Skywalker? Why would the lightsaber call to her? Why would Daisy Ridley look exactly like a combination of Shmi and Padme? Why would they use the musical cue when Luke returned to the moisture farm (his call to action) when Rey calls the lightsaber to her hand?

I realize people want me to be wrong because they think I'm pathetic, but the clues aren't made up. *shrug*

Just to clarify ... it wasn't stated that Ren killed all the other Jedi, just that he "tore it all down"

Maybe he turned all or most of the rest?

I don't know why it bothered you Fozzie that Rey is so powerful with no training. Movies and tv shows always follow the best of the best. Breaking Bad would have sucked if Walter was the 37th best meth cook. The most interesting stories are about the best of the best.

Because, fr better or worse, Anakin wasn't as powerful as her (without training) and he was the messianic character flog the saga. If there are characters that are significantly more powerful than him, that shits on everything that came before.

Why would Rey dream of an island where Luke is if she's not a Skywalker?

Because the force gave her that vision?

Why would the lightsaber call to her?

Because the force has decided she's the next person needed to fight the darkness?

Why would Daisy Ridley look exactly like a combination of Shmi and Padme?

Because Daisy Ridley was the best actress for the character, and she happens to look like Pernilla August and Natalie Portman vaguely.

Why would they use the musical cue when Luke returned to the moisture farm (his call to action) when Rey calls the lightsaber to her hand?

It's a call to adventure in both cases.

I realize people want me to be wrong because they think I'm pathetic, but the clues aren't made up. *shrug*

I don't think you're pathetic. I think you misread cues and clues because you have an agenda.

A film should be able to stand alone. An audience should not have to have read other media or paid attention to spoilers to understand what was going on with names, places, and especially the events happening in the film. If these things are not clear, then the film failed in some respects.

This.

Really? I think the movie was so straight forward there really wasn't much to understand. Who are they confused about? This is kinda shocking to me that anyone would confused by this movie.

Really? I think the movie was so straight forward there really wasn't much to understand. Who are they confused about? This is kinda shocking to me that anyone would confused by this movie.

From what I've gathered, character names are not clear to some viewers. "Stormtrooper guy" "Junker girl" "Vader guy" "The General" are the references made in place of using their names. The only memorable place names are Starkiller Base and Jakku. Everything else is a blur, apparently.

I mean Finn is given his name super clearly by Poe in the TIE fighter, Poe then clearly gives his name back. Finn then clearly states it again on the Falcon to Rey, who then very clearly gives it back. I could potentially see Kylo and Hux's names not being 100% clear. Hux's name isn't really important. I mean Tarkin's name is said once by Leia in Star Wars, right? Also, same thing with planet names. I'm fairly certain that Tatooine isn't even mentioned by name in Star Wars and I doubt if most people would have known the name of Yavin coming out of the movie the first time.

Basically, I think the one fair complaint may be Kylo's name. Although Max Von Sydow does say it in the opening segment of the movie fairly clearly.

But if they didn't get the good guy character names, I think that's on your friends. They are all introduced very clearly.

BB-8 recognized Poe's jacket. Pretty sure Artoo could recognize a voice. Also, remember the vision: Luke gave Artoo something.

Why would Rey dream of an island where Luke is if she's not a Skywalker? Why would the lightsaber call to her? Why would Daisy Ridley look exactly like a combination of Shmi and Padme? Why would they use the musical cue when Luke returned to the moisture farm (his call to action) when Rey calls the lightsaber to her hand?

I'm not saying you're wrong I'm just saying that what you guys are saying is a lot to assume. Especially seeing as Artoo only sees Rey once 3PO takes him to the meeting room. My take comes from the fact that 3PO tells Leia and BB-8 that it was doubtful Artoo would have the rest of the map in his backup systems. The viola! Artoo suddenly has the rest of the map.

Unless I missed something wasn't the only image of Luke in the flashback where he puts his hand on Artoo's dome?

Also, can we talk about what an awesome couple Rey and Finn are going to eventually be? Boyega and Ridley had crazy good chemistry.

No, Finn is in the friend zone.
But this is a more progressive Star Wars. Not only did we have a black stormtrooper, we had 2 female stormtroopers as well. Why not an interracial relationship?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.