The I've Seen The Force Awakens Thread (spoilers OBV)

Driver

I've only vaguely glossed this thread because I don't want to see any spoilers before seeing the movie myself in a few hours, but the main non-spoilery complaint I've seen on social networks so far is that it feels too reminiscent of A New Hope.

I'll have to judge that for myself sometime this weekend, but I think that's kind of an unwarranted critique. Most of these Campbell-esque "Hero's Journey" narratives more or less follow the same arc. Young hero yearns for adventure instead of their lowly lives, something happens to propel them forward, they meet new allies and enemies, they lose something that ties them to their past, and they're given a new objective. It's not just A New Hope, it's in countless adventure stories dating back to Greek mythology and even the Bible.

I think the "it's a new New Hope" criticism is valid (if you were expecting a more original plot) because there is so much mirroring going on, but it's not high on my list of things I didn't like about TFA. The things that are chipping away at my love for this movie are mostly to do with pacing (found it relentless) and tone and characters that were either wasted, annoying, one-dimensional, too-perfect, or just did nothing for me

Still gathering my thoughts at the moment (I saw it in a theater with less than 20 people in it at 1140 GMT in the UK), but there's some stuff here that I'm almost too scared to see again because I don't want the experience to be less good. I am going to see it again ASAP, even though seeing in a theater will more people in it (which is what I want to experience now) will mean not-the-best seat

Just got back. Still processing a lot of what I saw.

It's not too similar to ANH but it does borrow a lot from each OT film. There is almost a nod to something in most of the scenes or locales. More than a nod actually. The plot borrows heavily if I'm honest. It's a good film. I loved Poe Dameron and Rey. I really liked Hux as well. Driver's Ren is well played by him but he is not as menacing as I was led to believe by the reviews. He's a very conflicted and angry bad guy. Like someone said: he was written that way. Finn is almost half comic relief and half point of view.

There's definitely not enough Luke for my tastes. Ford played Han Solo like he stepped off the Falcon yesterday. That banter with Chewie is just legendary.

There is absolutely no point at all in Captain Phasma. None whatsoever.

It's a very funny movie if I'm honest. The jokes are well done and well timed. I saw a lot of Simon Pegg in the humour. Whether the number of jokes are 'Star Wars' I don't know.

I really want to watch it again to take more in. There are still a lot of questions left unanswered at the end.

I didn't feel while watching that it was too much like ANH. When you go back and think about it, then yes it has similarities. But it's not like you are watching it thinking "oh god, I shoulda stayed home and watched Star Wars."

It's just a really, fun good movie. The 4 new main characters are all great, flat out. And what's really great is that although the plot borrows elements from Star Wars, the characters are nothing like characters from the OT. Poe is a hot shot pilot but nothing like Han. Rey really isn't much like Luke. Ren is nothing like Vader and they've never had a character to even compare to Finn. All four were great, and all 4 actors were great playing them.

Really nearly no complains about the movie. From start to finish it's just exciting and fun.

Just got back. I can absolutely see the ANH similarities, but I never thought that it was in my face. It felt like just the right amount of callbacks.

Still processing the whole thing, I'm going to see it again tomorrow afternoon.

Rey was really great and I liked Finn way more then I thought I would too. The movie was funny but not TOO funny. Again, it felt like the humor level was at just the right amount.

THE Death though.. I'm not surprised but I'm still gutted. :(

Some other thoughts. The Knights of Ren.. They were mentioned a couple of times and it's interesting that they only showed up in that weird force flash back/ premenition thing. I suspect we'll see them again. They mentioned that Luke had been training a new class of Jedi, but I'm wondering now if they were all students that Ren was eventually able to sway.

I thought the way the Starkiller Base charged up was really cool.

BB8 is adorable.

Harrison Ford was great in this. Grumpy old Harrison Ford was kept to a minimum. There were lots of moments where I thought to myself "This isn't old Harrison Ford, this IS HAN SOLO."

I kind of suspected that Rey was the real Jedi and not Finn. But I'm glad it happened that way.

Also, everybody thinking Rey was going to be Han and Leia daughter, but instead it's Kylo Ren! I did not see that coming. (though it's still possible for Rey to be their daughter, or even Lukes daughter... but I really hope that she is not related to anybody we know.)

The creatures that Han was smuggling just before he caught up to the Falcon.. Those are the only things that seemed a little silly to me. For all the talk about practical effects wherever possible, those things were as in your face CGI as anything in the prequels. And I don't know how it really helped the plot. But minor gripes.

Also was expecting to see MORE of Phasma, but I can appreciate why they kept it brief.

Another thing that stood out to me. NO Disney logos at the beginning. I was really pleasantly surprised when the lights went down and it just said "Lucasfilm" and went straight into it.

Sad R2 and Sad Chewbacca were both heartbreaking. :( Almost more then the reasons for them being that way.

I dont think there was any point to the red arm, no. Just normal wear and tear? Though 3po did bring it up casually.

Also Snoke is interesting to me. I don't think he's anywhere near as large as that hologram would make you believe. I think Andy Serkis said he was supposed to be like 8 ft or something. BUT he looked like he had some serious battle damage. So I'm wondering if maybe he got into a fight or two with Luke in the past, and maybe that's why he's so fixated on him.

Loved it. I don't have to watch it again or think about it, it's my favorite sw film to date. I see the criticism that it borrowed a lot from the OT, but I just felt like this was kind of like a reintroduction to star wars. JJ nailed this film.

Just came back from it. More emotions packed in 2 hours than all of the PT combined. My first "cover my mouth" scene was when Chewie got shot and let out that yell. Like a bear or really big dog that just got hurt. How they got that sound is equally amazing and horrifying. Then THE big death scene. Saw it coming the second Han starting walking on that bridge. And "Ben!" When it happened, THIS felt like my child hood being ripped more than any horrible acting and writing from the PT. But it a raw and emotional good way. The scene accomplished its purpose.

The great, like all others before me in this thread, agreed this was the Daisy Ridley/Rey show followed by Ford's Han Solo. Without a doubt their movie and both nailed it! The 1,000 year old wise bar keep with the glasses. Is she dead? If not, MORE of her!

The meh, Captain Phasma instantly recognized her voice from GoT. But nothing more than a different suit to sell toys (the one thing Abrams and Co inherited from GL - along with C3PO's red arm). More meh, Carrie Fisher and her Leia. I'll have to see this a couple more times to gage. I'm torn, either she was limited by the script and screen time or her own abilities. Or she's exactly what Abrams' wanted. Again, will have to watch a couple more times.

The who knows? Snoke? Who is he? Is he a tiny evil midget or Luke or some other evil being we don't know? Stay tuned, I guess.

Kylo/Ben. Is he dead? He's definitely more scarred and beaten and getting closer to what he wants to be. My question is, how did he learn about Vader and all his nastiness? Did Han and Leia tell him stories of the crazy grandpa while growing up? Did he learn about him at his local library or get taught about him during his Middle School years? Meh...

Finally, a silent Luke in classic Jedi robes. Gimmie EP VIII NOW!

I am sad though that the last real Han and Luke scenes together were are and forever on Endor before Luke gives himself up. Just ONE scene of them together would have been nice. Oh well.

My fourth favorite. Beats the PT, doesn't touch the OT.

I'm okay with that. It provided everything I wanted.

I have some nitpicks, including the things Han was transporting, but at the same time most of my bigger ones actually seem like things that could still be answered. Like is Rey just naturally gifted enough to use the Force that strongly and to beat Ren, or was she trained when she was a child but doesn't remember?

I have some nitpicks, including the things Han was transporting, but at the same time most of my bigger ones actually seem like things that could still be answered. Like is Rey just naturally gifted enough to use the Force that strongly and to beat Ren, or was she trained when she was a child but doesn't remember?

I had the same issue, some people have pointed out that Chewie had already injured Kylo pretty significantly and Rey has had experience using her staff, which we already saw she can hold her own at. But she did seem to be pretty powerful with the force without any training.

I loved it. Will need a few more showings before I process everything.

I adore Poe Dameron. He is everything I wanted.

The death left me gutted. I was not expecting that. And I had the most visceral reaction to "BEN!" (In a good way.) Wow, just tear this Legends loving fan's heart out. THIS is what Legacy of the Force should have been.

Also: She is TOTALLY Rey Skywalker. I'm writing a post about it this weekend. :p

Saw it last night and thought it was fantastic! Great humour and banter between Rey and Finn, both play their characters so well.

Han and Chewie fitted in nicely, maybe only criticism would be all the coincidences that occur to get our heroes to where they need to be, but that's being really picky.

But 'that' scene was expected by the time it arrived, but still massively emotional after growing up with these characters since I was a child.

All in all - loved it! :-)

[quote name="Mara Jade Skywalker" post="2183234" timestamp="1450428393"

Also: She is TOTALLY Rey Skywalker. I'm writing a post about it this weekend. :p

I would have disagreed early on, especially her interrogation scenes with Ren. I was almost sure he was going to call her sis. But you put 2 and 2 together about how good a pilot she is and how good she was at fixing things....though that was EU Anakin Solo's thing as well. That was not a long lost daughter hug Leia gave her. That was definitely not a my neice look Luke gave her.

Guest El Chalupacabra

Saw the movie, and was left stupefied.

The good:

Visually, I think it just may be the most beautiful Star Wars movie to date.

Very much has the OT feel.

Rey, Fin, Poe, Kylo Ren feel like analogues to their "OT counterparts" but also feel unique and new. BB8: you either love him or not, but I loved him in this. He is like R2 but unique also.

Very fun film, jokes were timed well, and IMHO a WORTHY sequel to the OT.

Rey steals the show.

Han stays Han!

Kylo Ren really pulls off a WORTHY successor to the Darth Vader-style villain: Not better than, but WORTHY. I had my doubts at first, but Adam Driver does a good job, I thought.

The death was expected going in, but still well done and jarring. And there is no 20 year debate of did or didn't said individual survive. Pretty clear cut.

Chewie is AWESOME in this.

On a scale of 1 to 10, maybe an 8.5. Still doesn't beat ANH or TESB, probably ties with ROTJ.

The not so good:

Starkiller base plot point too close to Endor Mission. How many times is Ford going to do a Force 10 From Navarone style mission?

Kind of hard to believe the Falcon was stolen.

Captain Phasma truly IS the new Boba Fett: alleged badass that is pretty much useless

Not enough LUKE

My fan speculation that did/did not come to pass and other reactions:

http://nightly.net/topic/78346-some-theories-i-have-on-kylo-ren/page-2

http://nightly.net/topic/78366-ren-vader-dynamic-potential-major-spoilerstheories/page-2

So, I got it half right: Ren IS a Skywalker, but they did the super obvious EU rip off thing and made him Leia/Han's son, then name him Ben on top of it. Millions of EU fan voices cried out, and silenced, I tell ya!

Starkiller base: super, duper Death Star. Again, basically Sun Crusher EU concept that was stolen, except instead of a ship, we have a whole planet.

I NOW think Rey is a long lost daughter of Luke, and she is unaware she is a Skywalker! We may get get a Cousin VS Cousin showdown, just not quite the way I thought.

SNOKE: Interesting that he is basically the Emperor role, but there is a role reversal of sorts: instead of Vader being the one who is wounded and damaged and the Emperor controls Vader because of it, seems Snoke had some serious battle damage and manipulates Ren to do the things Snoke no longer can do. Makes more sense than Emperor Sidious, who achieved ultimate dark side power as well as control over the galaxy keeping Vader around as his successor.

Funny that they'd name him Ben. Leia didn't meet Kenobi and Han hardly had a deep emotional connection to Obi-wan. Why would either of them choose that name for their son? Maybe Like got naming rights?

Doubtful that Rey is a Skywalker. I'm betting the new female lead in VIII may be one, but there's no reason to think there has to be a female Skywalker in the galaxy far, far away. What happened to the idea of Rey being a Kenobi?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.