Star Wars is Racist

Good God a Bear

Guest El Chalupacabra

Just my 2 cents (as if anyone cares), while I can understand George Lucas having some regret and wishing Disney used at least some of his ideas for the sequel trilogy and he has a right to voice if he doesn't like what was done, I think it is incredibly douchey to go on Charlie Rose, and air his dirty laundry like that. The guy made some $4 Billion off selling his franchise, the one that was stalled and literally dead in the water. There was no telling when he would make more, if ever. It was even worse to make a white slavery analogy. I'm not saying it was necessarily racist nor am I really a Disney fan, but that was a totally out of touch and ignorant thing to say, not to mention self centered, after the kind of money he made of the deal. He sold his franchise, and didn't bitch on the way to the bank, so he needs to just live with his decision. To bad mouth Disney just because they declined to take his ideas is just low class.

I love George and respect the hell out of him and really want to know what his treatments were like.

But I am so glad he had nothing to do with TFA.

Feel the exact same way. I would love to see what he came up with (though we won't know until after the trilogy is done, probably).

(Which was HIS CHOICE, btw. Once Disney decided not to use his treatment he realized he couldn't be involved because of the control he likes and wants.)

See, I think George Lucas is much like Rick Berman was to Star Trek. GL forever gets credit for creating Star Wars, but he didn't do it single-handedly. He was the idea man, but it was others who made the OT so good. The PT, where GL had total control, proves GL needed help, but refused to admit it.

Rick Berman was sort of the same way. Sure you can blame network TV as well, but there was also the TNG movies. Star Trek's heyday was TNG-DS9, but by Voyager, and certainly by Enterprise, it was just watered down, formulaic, tone deaf to the fans, and fans left in droves, leaving only the die hard fans.

Also, Seth, most EU fans don't think that way. You're thinking of the Bring Back Legends folk. :p
Another Star Trek Analogy is that the Bring Back Legends Star Wars fans are much like the Star Trek fans who want a return to the Prime universe. In both cases, because the movies have been so successful, that will never, ever happen. I have a certain empathy for EU fans, even if I didn't like much of the EU myself, because I went through what they did, with Star Trek.
But that said, I think Star Wars is a case where abandoning EU was the right move, whereas for Star Trek, while it may have made more money, I think the Star Trek franchise took a wrong turn after STID.

Lucas, like an EU fan, doesn't get one simple thing. You can't take ownership of a pop culture phenomena.

Once something becomes a cornerstone of pop culture it ceases to belong to anyone, and belongs to everyone. He is actually annoyed that Disney made a movie for fans, instead of doing HIS ideas.

The PT was made for George Lucas by George Lucas. TFA was made for everyone.

Using a broad brush there. I was an EU fan, but I could care less that they aren't canon anymore.

Are you saying GL isn't allowed a critique of a movie he said he liked?

I'm sorry, but your last sentence makes Naboo=Dagobah seem like freaking Einstein and you've played it before. Disagreeing with someone doesn't mean that you think they aren't allowed to do something. End of story. Your insistence that it does is depressing.
Like I said before, GL was always in a no win situation if said he didn't like the movie. It would only fuel the people who have taken any opportunity to rail on him. He said he liked the movie, but now that he has critiques of it, people rush to take shots even though his gripes are the same as a lot odoesn'te have brought up. That he is the creator of the series makes him both more sensitive to the material and a target if he doesn't conform to what the majority says they think.

People's minds have been made up about GL. So there is no changing that because it would conflict with people's opinions. It is said over and over that ESB is the best Star Wars movie, "GL didn't direct it". Yet ROTJ, a movie GL didn't direct, gets panned for Ewoks and other things. "Ewoks were GL's idea!" And nothing in ESB was? Of course not. It doesn't fit the argument.

From his White Slavers comment, to his opinin of the movie, and an article I read about the first line of the movie being a shot at GL, Lucas is a target. In small part for his Special Editions and mostly because of the prequels. So can he not have opinion? That's rhetorical at this point because no he can't;

GL: The movie was similar to the original.

Star Wars fan: Prequels!

GL: I wanted to go back and make the OT visually up to date.

Fans: Prequels!

GL: The sky is blue.

Dude, people read into TPM that Lucas was already defending himself against stupid reviews. People read into anything they want, especially with Star Wars.

And nothing you said addresses my post at all and in fact proves you wrong. He can say whatever he wants, you just don't want people to have the freedom to disagree or call him on any of it.

Dude, people read into TPM that Lucas was already defending himself against stupid reviews. People read into anything they want, especially with Star Wars.

And nothing you said addresses my post at all and in fact proves you wrong. He can say whatever he wants, you just don't want people to have the freedom to disagree or call him on any of it.

I guess I'm guilty of generalizing as well. I quoted Driver's post without commenting on his specific point about Lucas and the fans. I was talking to the broader scope of Lucas hate that has popped up this past week. People going after him for the sake of going after him.

As for Driver's point I only partially agree. There is part of me that doesn't get why Lucas wouldn't release an original THX version of the OT. As for the other part, I don't want to be that fan who expects something from an intellectual property I have no part of.

I think the ire he's drawing this week is because he made a really off color (literally) remark about Star Wars and Disney after taking an ungodly amount of money from them. He has his cake and is complaining about it too.

Add in that most people like TFA more than the PT and he's painted a target on himself.

GL: The movie was similar to the original.

Star Wars fan: Prequels!

GL: I wanted to go back and make the OT visually up to date.

GL: The sky is blue.

True, but it's not just the prequels. Not by a longshot (remember something about crystals and skulls?). I can't think of a quality movie the guy has had a major hand in making since The Last Crusade, but he still acts like his opinions on quality matter more than some random person posting on social media. Watching him is sad like watching Ali take all those head shots during the last 3.5 years of his career while still proclaiming himself "The Greatest."

I can't ignore George gave us Star Wars in the first place-- and I'll celebrate that dude. But he went creatively bankrupt, surrounded himself by yes-men, and became a complete hypocrite about the preservation of an artist's work. (Look up his stance on colorizing movies in the 80s).

The dude became the Empire.

It was mostly going against Ted Turner for colorizing stuff.

But the words he used were that once films entered into the mainstream and became a part of our collective history, altering them was a detriment to film history.

SEE THE IRONY?

It was mostly going against Ted Turner for colorizing stuff.

But the words he used were that once films entered into the mainstream and became a part of our collective history, altering them was a detriment to film history.

SEE THE IRONY?

Man those Turner colorized classics looked like they were done by preschoolers. Though the contrast between the additions to ANH pail to the ones in the other 2.

I'm surprised that Disney and Fox haven't negotiated a deal yet to release the theatrical editions and violate the rewriting of history.

The special editions would actually probably be fairly popular with certain people if they were one option instead of the only option.

You make some fair points. I just wanted to add that anybody reading a shot at Lucas in the first line of the movie are the kind of people who think every tweet from someone they know is a subtweet about them. It's ridiculous.

In the Jurassic World bluray extras, during an interview with Spielberg and Colin Trevorrow, they mention a scene that was cut from the film whereby the Indominus Rex was going to destroy a life-sized animatronic of a T-Rex that was part of the park's Main Street attractions. Even though it would have looked awesome on film, they were adamant that they didn't want this scene to be a commentary on them believing CGI had fully taken over and all old school special effects were out. They were really actually concerned this would be pinned on them as a representation of their beliefs (which they were against, they are not all for CGI for everything). Trevorrow later also mentions he was worried that the Mosasaurus leaping out of the water and eating the shark was a shot at Speilberg and was worried how Spielberg would react to that scene.

So these guys really do think about these things.

Kathleen Kennedy was ragging on Frank Marshall (her husband) at The Force Awakens premiere and taunting him by saying TFA was going to make more money than Jurassic World. Later on Frank Marshall came over and crashed Lucas's interview by saying Jurassic World was the best.

It was kind of hilarious.

I thought the funniest part of that was Lucas's response, "I'll crush you like a bug", and how social media then proceeded to assume the two had it in for each other.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.