Star Wars is Racist

Good God a Bear

I think he's pissed off that Disney decided to remove him from all aspects of the process. He probably figured, I'll sell it to Disney, but they'll still allow my input and use my ideas. Then when they didn't, he probably secretly hoped it bombed.

He's apologized for his comments:

https://www.yahoo.com/celebrity/news/george-lucas-says-sold-star-200700960.html

I love The Force Awakens but there is some merit in what George says. The movie IS alot like Star Wars. You can't deny that. How much that bothers you probably determines how much you like the movie. The planets are basically pedestrian, whether this is a problem is up for debate. The planets in the OT were pretty basic too. In a perfect world I would have like to have seen a little more differences in the planets. There are other desolate seeming places than a desert. Like maybe Rey could have been on some decayed urban landscape with destruction from the war all over it, hell maybe even Coruscant destroyed by the war and nearly abandoned.

Like I said I love the movie, but it's not perfect, no movie is. Most of what George says is fair about the movie (never should have mentioned white slavers, obviously). Plus its natural to think that your ideas are better than someone elses. In fact every Star Wars fan thinks that. LOL

Too little, too late.

Unperson him.

George who? Never heard of him.

Nah. Not quite. His work in the 70s is too big for that. There is good in him.

It's funny just how much Lucas's most famous creation turned out to be such a perfect metaphor for the man himself: "more machine than man now ..."

Lucas, like an EU fan, doesn't get one simple thing. You can't take ownership of a pop culture phenomena.

Once something becomes a cornerstone of pop culture it ceases to belong to anyone, and belongs to everyone. He is actually annoyed that Disney made a movie for fans, instead of doing HIS ideas.

The PT was made for George Lucas by George Lucas. TFA was made for everyone.

Lucas, like an EU fan, doesn't get one simple thing. You can't take ownership of a pop culture phenomena.

Once something becomes a cornerstone of pop culture it ceases to belong to anyone, and belongs to everyone. He is actually annoyed that Disney made a movie for fans, instead of doing HIS ideas.

Using a broad brush there. I was an EU fan, but I could care less that they aren't canon anymore.

Are you saying GL isn't allowed a critique of a movie he said he liked?

Absolute bollocks.

You don't even own a minute percentage of Star Wars despite your fandom.

I refer to The People Vs George Lucas. It was his, and his alone. And he was the only one who could decide how the story went. No matter how much people felt burned by what he did, be it the SEs or the Prequels... it was his story to tell and his Art to abuse. You are only a punter. If you don't like it then you can walk. But you didn't did you?

You're still here praising what is basically fan worship of GL's own work. Think about it man you are more than intelligent enough.

This is not an attack. Just the truth. If it was any other subject you would have walked a long time ago and never given it another thought. You wouldn't shop at the same shop again if you got burned. You keep shopping here because you care. But that doesn't give you ownership in any sense of the fashion.

Using a broad brush there. I was an EU fan, but I could care less that they aren't canon anymore.

Of course not-- he's totally entitled to not like the movie. There seem to be conflicting reports, but it comes down to him saying many times that he wanted to tell the story his way. Which is fine-- he did invent it.

But he's said, as a shot, that TFA was made for fans.

He said during the PT, and freshly after it, that he KNOWS people wanted things a certain way, but he didn't care and did his own thing. And a lot of people didn't think his thing was very good. And now, he's sour grapes cause people like a Star Wars he had nothing to really do with. So he starts talking about how people who like the movie are being tricked.

My EU comment was mostly aimed at fans who say if you don't like the books, you're not a real fan, or that the movie doesn't count-- that level of fan ownership that makes them act superior. Lucas is doing that.

Absolute bollocks.

You don't even own a minute percentage of Star Wars despite your fandom.

I refer to The People Vs George Lucas. It was his, and his alone. And he was the only one who could decide how the story went. No matter how much people felt burned by what he did, be it the SEs or the Prequels... it was his story to tell and his Art to abuse. You are only a punter. If you don't like it then you can walk. But you didn't did you?

You're still here praising what is basically fan worship of GL's own work. Think about it man you are more than intelligent enough.

This is not an attack. Just the truth. If it was any other subject you would have walked a long time ago and never given it another thought. You wouldn't shop at the same shop again if you got burned. You keep shopping here because you care. But that doesn't give you ownership in any sense of the fashion.

I don't mean legally own, obviously. Now, if you see above, don't I mean that I personally as a fan have a right to say what should or shouldn't be done.

I purely mean that Lucas lost sight of the fact that he made something that impacted millions of people. Star Wars became such an insane part of pop culture. The people of the world, fans, and regular movie-goers fell in love with it and gave it the life it had beyond just being a few movies. He benefitted from that.

If I were in his shoes, and I were to make MORE Star Wars, I think I'd want to not only keep those people happy in a business sense, but give them what they were clamoring for because they deserve it-- because without them the movie could have bombed.

But he's sticking to his guns and saying HIS way or the highway. Had his way been more universally praised, it wouldn't be an issue. But it wasn't.

I completely agree with Lucas's criticisms of the film. The lack of imagination on every level very much made me miss his input. Eventually, the series will merge into every other big budget movie series and lose its magic.

What I wish is that Lucas had found himself a protege in the 90s and worked hand-in-hand with him to create the Prequels. And now he could hand it over to the new guy who would continue to run the franchise in a continuous fashion as the new creative lead. A second voice would probably have also eliminated several of the Prequel's rough edges. Lucas failed to pass the torch and his creative vision/approach, is a part of the past. So now he's stuck watching people who only think they know what makes Star Wars work do their best impression.

As it stands now, Star Wars is pretty much destined to become just another movie franchise as the years go by. It'll usually be made quite competently, but that's the main thing we'll have to say about it.

I completely agree with Lucas's criticisms of the film. The lack of imagination on every level very much made me miss his input. Eventually, the series will merge into every other big budget movie series and lose its magic.

What I wish is that Lucas had found himself a protege in the 90s and worked hand-in-hand with him to create the Prequels. And now he could hand it over to the new guy who would continue to run the franchise in a continuous fashion as the new creative lead. A second voice would probably have also eliminated several of the Prequel's rough edges. Lucas failed to pass the torch and his creative vision/approach, is a part of the past. So now he's stuck watching people who only think they know what makes Star Wars work do their best impression.

As it stands now, Star Wars is pretty much destined to become just another movie franchise as the years go by. It'll usually be made quite competently, but that's the main thing we'll have to say about it.

The prequels weren't something he went into wanting to do everything himself. He sought out help, but almost all said no to him. Now he probably should have looked outside of his trusted group of friends. He decided to do the directing himself and end up hiring a bunch of people that didn't challenge or say no to him.

I love George and respect the hell out of him and really want to know what his treatments were like.

But I am so glad he had nothing to do with TFA.

(Which was HIS CHOICE, btw. Once Disney decided not to use his treatment he realized he couldn't be involved because of the control he likes and wants.)

Also, Seth, most EU fans don't think that way. You're thinking of the Bring Back Legends folk. :p

'Rough edges'?? What trilogy did you watch?

I enjoyed the Prequels. There really isn't another set of movies like them out there and not even the Original Trilogy could match the level of thought and creativity that went into them. You iron out the most obvious flaws and they'd probably be a whole lot more popular and acknowledged for their accomplishments.

As I said, TFA's weaknesses are Lucas's strengths. If nothing else, the Prequels existed with a high degree of imagination thrown into every scene. It also had a plot that used a lot of the same beats, but came at it from a unique enough angle that it wasn't such an obvious repeat.

Furthermore, many other TFA weaknesses also had to do with running away from the Prequels. As a matter of fact, I've seen a lot of people acknowledge TFA's problems, but defend it by saying they had to go super safe and stick with the original formula to appease fans after the Prequels.

Is it any wonder that the independent artist that Lucas has always been would have issues with that sort of approach? Or that he'd have regrets for his essentially selling out his legacy to people who have so far made his personal vehicle of imagination smaller and less interesting?

Because the main way to get what you want is to harm the people who control it.

Yes..for obsessed fans who live only for the intellectual property of an individual or company.

Imagine their psychological state if SW suddenly disappeared.

Lucas bowed out because he knew he had lost his audience, and like Driver said he's hurt by how well TFA has done without him.

It baffles me how much sympathy people have for a guy who basically said he doesn't care what the fans want, even though those same fans made him a billionaire.

That's artists for you. Art is never wrong. If you don't appreciate an artist's work, you're wrong. Lucas created an incredible story setting, and should be thanked and appreciated for doing that for us. But naturally he can't appreciate it the way we do.

I'm sorry, but your last sentence makes Naboo=Dagobah seem like freaking Einstein and you've played it before. Disagreeing with someone doesn't mean that you think they aren't allowed to do something. End of story. Your insistence that it does is depressing.

'Rough edges'?? What trilogy did you watch?

I enjoyed the Prequels. There really isn't another set of movies like them out there and not even the Original Trilogy could match the level of thought and creativity that went into them. You iron out the most obvious flaws and they'd probably be a whole lot more popular and acknowledged for their accomplishments.

As I said, TFA's weaknesses are Lucas's strengths. If nothing else, the Prequels existed with a high degree of imagination thrown into every scene. It also had a plot that used a lot of the same beats, but came at it from a unique enough angle that it wasn't such an obvious repeat.

Furthermore, many other TFA weaknesses also had to do with running away from the Prequels. As a matter of fact, I've seen a lot of people acknowledge TFA's problems, but defend it by saying they had to go super safe and stick with the original formula to appease fans after the Prequels.

Is it any wonder that the independent artist that Lucas has always been would have issues with that sort of approach? Or that he'd have regrets for his essentially selling out his legacy to people who have so far made his personal vehicle of imagination smaller and less interesting?

Not trolling-- but genuinely curious, but how old were you when the PT came out?

That's artists for you. Art is never wrong. If you don't appreciate an artist's work, you're wrong. Lucas created an incredible story setting, and should be thanked and appreciated for doing that for us. But naturally he can't appreciate it the way we do.

This us true. Lucas isn't alone here. Some of my favorite songs have been trashed by the very artists who created them. Those artists are genuinely baffled by how "that song" became so popular when in their minds they did much better work on other stuff that no one cared about.

I'm sorry, but your last sentence makes Naboo=Dagobah seem like freaking Einstein and you've played it before. Disagreeing with someone doesn't mean that you think they aren't allowed to do something. End of story. Your insistence that it does is depressing.

Cosign.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.