Star Wars - 3 Days Out

Stevil

I wanted to record how I'm feeling today because the sense of anticipation is reaching fever pitch. I can't believe that I'm going to see a new Star Wars movie in just a few days. I'm very excited but not without a sense of trepidation. I know so very little about this film. I can't compare it to the ones I've seen before at release and I was too young to see the OT at the cinemas. I keep trying to re-assure myself that it's going to be great. I mean it has to be doesn't it? It's Star Wars.

Star Wars has meant so much to me since I was little and having 'New' Star Wars to watch is just absolutely thrilling. I don't get this excited about anything else really, I go a bit mad over the football (soccer) but in a different way. I'd say I'm equally as passionate about both but they both give me different sensations and feelings.

OK so most people know I like the prequels. Personal preference and all that. So anything better than those means it has to be good right? My bar is already pretty low so I'm going to love it?? The weird thing is I didn't have the same sense of anticipation about the Prequels. I was really stoked for them but this time round it feels like it's reaching a new height. This time I'm very nervous as well. It was like they couldn't be bad last time (although I wasn't expecting them to come close to the OT). Now, the prequels are serving as something of a cautionary tale. Maybe not in terms of quality or content but in terms of the reaction.

Now I'm pretty sure there are certain sections already sharpening their knives for this one. That's the way of the world. There are some people who love to build things up to knock them down. But how bad can the reaction be? Disney/Marvel seems to get away with murder. Each new film is bigger and better than the one before. They make some pretty good movies but the five star ratings they get some times seem a little too high for me. Would a Marvel 5 Star be good enough for Star Wars? I'm not sure it would. Star Wars is just bigger in my opinion and probably has to tick more boxes. Obviously there is the microscope I've talked about before and the incessant over-analysis. You only have to look at the reaction to the trailer for this one to see at what level people will dissect Star Wars. I try to think about permeatations and I often wonder about how this one will get received. I can't help but worry that no matter how good it is it can't please everyone. And by please, I mean enough for people to give it a collective thumbs up.

But something else sticks in my mind right now as well. Something just feels so right this time around. I don't know if it's the timing, the new direction (Disney/Abrahms), a collective need for better Star Wars or just the stars are in the right alignment. But something keeps tugging at me and saying this could be brilliant as well. It feels like people want it more and more people want it to succeed. I can't put my finger on it exactly but there seems to be more people rooting for this one than the last ones.

My hope is that they pull it off and make not just a great film but a great Star Wars film which is even harder to do. I applaud those who took up the mantle because the size of the task is massive and they will get told in no uncertain terms if they fail. I hope this becomes a real moment where people leave the cinema thinking "wow". Not just that post-film "wow" either. I mean the one that lasts for ages and ages. I hope they go some way to restore Star Wars to it's previous glory. I hope this is the start of something amazing... again.

Stevil, that was a beautiful proposal speech but it's a movie...you just have to watch it not marry it. ;)

No, I'm glad you're pumped about it.

I think my feelings are the polar opposite of yours. My expectations for the PT were high, yours were low. I didn't like them, you did. As a result, my expectations for this one are a little on the low side, yours seem a little high. I'm...cautiously excited, while you have a good feeling about the whole thing.

My expectations aren't that high (haven't bought any tickets yet) and the experience of revisiting and reflecting on all things Star Wars because it's. almost. here. is a bit strange, especially being annoyed by all of the marketing going on and realizing that my parents must have been annoyed by it in OT times (whilst I lapped it up)

I've struggled to write about this because it combines so many different things: what I think about the OT (as a 41 year old); what I think about the prequels; what I think about contemporary blockbusters / my current relationship with movies (I haven't become infatuated with a movie for a long time); being aware that it is impossible for me to see the world (inc. movies) in the way that younger people do, and not wanting to fall in to some sort of nostalgia or (movie) fashion trap where I end up arguing against a perception of something that it is impossible for me to fully understand (I can only relate to it).

I want to TFA to be a great / classic movie that introduces a new set of heroes that lots of people (not just young people) can really connect with (combination of the top two options), but I think it is more likely to be just another good-but-not-great movie for me (option #3) and I might be a little frustrated / disappointed with that. But that is way above something that sucks, and I think anyone who hates TFA because it falls short of their (reasonable) expectations is going to struggle to justify an "it sucks".

I expect to end up feeling the same way about TFA as I do about Star Trek (2009). I usually watch most of it when it's on TV, but there's something I find unsatisfying about it that I find hard to describe (Pong got close with "uneven... that looks great... a lot of fun... lacking any sort of compelling narrative and depth..."). I think some parts of it and some of the performances / castings are incredible, but it just makes the bits I don't like even more annoying.

But maybe my dislike of some aspects of it is just me showing my age / not really knowing what teenagers and twenty-somethings expect from movies these days (not the same thing as me now and possibly not the same thing as me when I was their age). I found being underwhelmed / bored by the first Avengers movie (only saw it a year ago) quite surprising, and that sort of difference of opinion (majority of reviews were extremely positive) intrigues me: what wasn't I seeing?

That said (and I'm just using this post to thrash / think this out), I don't think any unevenness in TFA will matter as long as there's enough of what I really want (and I've seen enough to know it will be visually satisfying). I think ANH is an uneven film too (with the middle / escape-from-the-Death-Star act being a bit weak), but the amount of (fiery) death / sacrifice in the final act (and things like the charred remains of Luke's family) affected me when I first saw it and it still affects me now.

If TFA manages to affect me in that way / make me care (Star Trek did in places, but not enough to make me think that it was a bit shallow / superficial overall) and establishes a good foundation for the next SW movie (which could be a classic or as unambitious as Into Darkness, eek), then I really ought to be satisfied.

With respect Bleh.

I just read you do something very similar to what I did in another thread...

I posted my thoughts to try and make sense of my feelings about this new movies. Just I did it yesterday!!

2 Days Out...

So the World premiere was last night and today I have the realisation that people have seen the film and I haven't. Obviously this was always going to be the case but I'm intrigued to hear their reactions. I remain spoiler free but I did read a few comments/tweets on the BBC website that were very positive. Not really a good barometer though. I'll have to make my own mind up.

I'm still toying with the idea of dressing up to go and watch the movie. On one hand, I really should get some wear out of my Jedi outfit and Force FX Lightsaber. On the other, I'm kind of thinking I'll look a tool if the film isn't that good. The temptation to dress up to embarrass my 14 year old daughter (who is also coming with us) is tantalising though :)

I had an interesting conversation last night with a couple of my gamer friend s who were adamant that the Star Wars Trailers had shown too much and were giving the plot away. Naturally, I was in shock, so I asked them to explain the plot of the movie to me. The words "conjecture" and "extrapolation" were used when they vcouldn't relaly back up their arguments.

Today I'm still excited. But I think writing down my thoughts yesterday has really helped me come to terms with my expectations. It's hard because I think Star Wars means so much to a lot of people but I also believe it means different things to people as well. I really want to click on more things to find out more reaction and that temptation is overwhelming. But I must stay pure!! Only two more sleeps...

1 Day Out...

This time tomorrow I'll be in the Theatre. Actually. Watching. It.

Some critics reviews were posted today and I indulged on some none-spoiler ones. Mostly good reviews. Some gave it 4 stars instead of 5. The film seems to be on the nostalgia trail which is en vogue these days with the remakes and stuff. But a lot are comparing it to ANH. Obviously you have to skip past the obligatory prequel obituary in every review before you can read what they think of the film. Not sure why we have to keep banging on about the failings of those but hey ho. Obviously I can't compare their reviews yet because I haven't seen the movie but it was strange because I almost got a sense from each review whether the reviewer was actually worth their salt or not? Anyway, I don't put a lot of stock in movie critics opinions as I like to form my own. They're just fun to read sometimes.

Excitement today has been really high. I went to a meeting at work and got to discuss it with some colleagues I only see once a month so the conversations were fresh. Made a change form the usual "Are you all sorted for Christmas" bollocks.

I am very excited to see this movie, but don't have tickets yet. No, I did not pre-order, and I have not checked to see what is available. I swear I am excited, though. I guess I have convinced myself that there is no way that I will be able to see this within the first week. But, I'll need to check.

I think it isn't as exciting this time around for guys like us who were late teens/twenties for the prequel trilogy. We busted our proverbial nut on the excitement in 99-05.

I didn't really remember it was premiering until today. I haven't seen any news or spoilers other than what has been in the movie trailers.

But 10 minutes ago I logged on the the local movie theater website and tickets to the 1am show in 3D were still available. Woo hoo! Check out how fanboy I am right now. Not dressing up though. In fact I'm pretty sure I'll be wearing pajama pants and slippers.

But I'll be there!

Probably gonna need coffee tomorrow when the alarm goes off at 630.

My expectations aren't that high (haven't bought any tickets yet) and the experience of revisiting and reflecting on all things Star Wars because it's. almost. here. is a bit strange, especially being annoyed by all of the marketing going on and realizing that my parents must have been annoyed by it in OT times (whilst I lapped it up)

Nailed it! Yes, I am still going tomorrow morning, but totally agree on the bloated add campaign. 40 percent of the commercials, miscellaneous products in stores, toys, and some odd seven commercials. Too merch! Star Wars Episode VII: Buy our sh*t Btw...PLEASE be awesome; take me back and give me that feeling the first time I watched Star wars. I was hooked ever sense and I don't even hate the prequels. They give a different generation a creation story, something the elders already knew and together they enjoy the conclusion. It's kind of like how life plays out.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.