Star Trek Beyond trailer

captainbleh

The artist is Sean Hargreaves, "senior concept designer" and "visual effects art director" on Star Trek Beyond. They aren't official pictures, but what appears in the film is based on those rather than the other way round (he's also shared his concept art for Yorktown and the Franklin) - link (Facebook)

I mostly like the concept art, but I think the proportions are wrong where the pylons join the rear of the secondary hull. I think the profile one looks really good (I don't mind the vertical neck) because I can't see that part.

Guest El Chalupacabra

The artist is Sean Hargreaves, "senior concept designer" and "visual effects art director" on Star Trek Beyond. They aren't official pictures, but what appears in the film is based on those rather than the other way round (he's also shared his concept art for Yorktown and the Franklin) - link (Facebook)

I mostly like the concept art, but I think the proportions are wrong where the pylons join the rear of the secondary hull. I think the profile one looks really good (I don't mind the vertical neck) because I can't see that part.

Thanks for that info!

I seriously have a problem with the side view. Those pylons look just awful.

Sad to see Beyond doing poorly at the box office. I really didn't care for Into Darkness and Star Trek '09 was just okay, but this one is pretty great. I felt fully invested in the characters, loved the shout outs to TOS and Enterprise and even got choked up in a couple of scenes referencing Leonard Nimoy's Spock.
I hope they don't bring back Robert Orci to write the next one. Simon Pegg gets Star Trek. The suits though probably don't care and will go back to what made them the most money. I kind of feel Into Darkness is what soured the box office for Beyond. The marketing didn't help either.

Guest El Chalupacabra

Sad to see Beyond doing poorly at the box office. I really didn't care for Into Darkness and Star Trek '09 was just okay, but this one is pretty great. I felt fully invested in the characters, loved the shout outs to TOS and Enterprise and even got choked up in a couple of scenes referencing Leonard Nimoy's Spock.

I

hope they don't bring back Robert Orci to write the next one. Simon Pegg gets Star Trek. The suits though probably don't care and will go back to what made them the most money. I kind of feel Into Darkness is what soured the box office for Beyond for a lot of people staying away. The marketing didn't help either.

As of today, worldwide, the movie has made $199,789,916, so it has officially made back the money it cost to make it, but that doesn't include marketing, which I read somewhere was almost as much as it cost to make it. Also, it under-performs Star Trek 2009 by about $60 million, and STID by about $30 million. So I am a little dismayed by it, too. But considering it was sandwiched between a Star Wars film 7 months before, and 6 months after, not to mention a slew of comic book movies, and too many other blockbusters to list, I think that is what hurt STB the most. We are lucky it did as well as it has, considering. Perhaps DVD/BR sales will help it turn a profit.

We know there will be a Star Trek 14, so at least that isn't in danger, but that movie could be the last. I would be surprised if Orci is put in charge of the next one. If anything, I think they may bring Abrams back, or someone else if they feel Lin didn't perform to their expectations, but they would be fools to not let Pegg be involved. Certainly, the budget will likely be cut. Which really, wouldn't be a bad thing. It could force them to do more character development, and bring some soul that the reboot films have lacked. STB is a great start in that direction, and hopefully the next film will continue it.

It might help too if the studio picked a better release date for the next one. Jason Bourne came out a week after Beyond and then Suicide Squad was coming up quick too. Maybe go back to the fall where there are less blockbusters competing.

Also, that first trailer was a disaster and it took them forever to put out the second one. Suicide Squad did an amazing marketing campaign which really helped it against all the negative reviews. Beyond was the opposite great reviews which the general public didn't seem to care about. It will be interesting to see how much of a drop off Suicide Squad will have for it's second week. It's already breaking Monday and Tuesday records for August, so maybe it's critic proof.

Guest El Chalupacabra

I don't think Jason Bourne, Part 5000 hurt Star Trek too much, but I do think Suicide Squad definitely did. But I agree, a better date should be chosen. Traditionally, Star Trek used to be released in either early June, or late November/Early December. Now that Star Wars seems to be releasing around Christmas time, might be good to go back to early June, depending on the competition?

As of today, worldwide, the movie has made $199,789,916, so it has officially made back the money it cost to make it

Unfortunately not. The rule of thumb is 2x your budget to break even. Which is about $370 million, still not counting marketing. Even if that number's inflated a bit thanks to Trek having the opportunity for a few offsets not available to other films, that's rough. It still has China (Into Darkness made $57 million there), so it's not completely dead, but it's got a ways to go before it even approaches profitability.

If this were a normal film, I'd be downright dismissive of a sequel possibility. Even a budget cut will be complicated considering all the expiring contracts.

Jason Bourne came out a week after Beyond and then Suicide Squad was coming up quick too.

Yeah, Bourne really hurt Trek and itself by squeezing into that weekend.

• 3 weeks later...

Okay, finally got around to seeing this after it got reasonably good reviews. And I've got to say, I can't understand why. They still seem to have Kirk oddly backwards. He's like, "Star Trekking is soooooo borrrrring. Y'know what I need? A sweet promotion and a desk job".

<sigh>

Kirk 101 guys. You can't move his butt out of that captain's chair with a crowbar. That's ultimately Kirk's entire character arc throughout the Shatner movies. He loves being the captain of the Enterprise, thinks it's his calling in life, and is absolutely lost when not in command of his crew. It's there from the minute he steps on-board the Enterprise in TMP and starts his dick measuring with Decker, and he's still having trouble with letting go in Generations, wanting to take over the Enterprise B the minute there's an emergency and giving Picard career advise consisting of "Don't ever let them take away your ship."

Anyway, missed opportunities to actually do something with Spock. Walking away from Uhura out of a sense of obligation to his people following their near extermination is interesting stuff and could form the moral center for a whole movie with interesting Holocaust survivor undertones. What obligations does a survivor have to his people? What sacrifices must he ask of loved ones in order to fulfill those obligations? These are some weighty issues that would fit right in with the Star Trek of old. It would have made for a wonderful temporary exit for Spock as he joined New Vulcan and found his place to set up the next movie.

Well, can't have actual deep thoughts in a Star Trek movie. Let's instead have Uhura and Krall argue about whether caring about other people is a strength or a weakness. Because that sort of warmed-over drivel is as heavy as we're allowed to get I suppose. Oh, and just to undercut even that, we'll have his friend go off on his own to potentially make a sacrifice for their shared plan.

Spock's crisis can be relegated to banter between him and McCoy. And the next movie will have more of Kirk, you guessed it, dealing with his daddy issues. I know you just wanted more of that.

And Krall in general. Sorry, but he's just another angry destructo guy whose plan I still don't get. At least Nero had a pretty specific reason for going mad considering his planet was destroyed, but Krall's beef just seems to be that he doesn't get to shoot people anymore. Yeah, not really feeling the sympathy for the moral dilemma on this one. He's just a mad dog that needs to be put down. And for some reason Kirk didn't just shoot him when he's standing their with the doomsday weapon (that does something). He's got a stun setting, doesn't he?

General complaints: How did Krall know the Enterprise had what he was looking for? Apparently he can't find it when it's inside his camp, but he knows exactly where it is on the Enterprise so that he can set a trap. Did he forget where he parked his old ship? How do you hide what the other people already know about? So, Starfleet is accepting cadets with absolutely no educational background or social experience? Speaking of which, Jaylah is oddly intact for a person who has been out on her own for who knows how long and had developed so many sweet technical skills, trap building, and fighting prowess. Awfully convenient that the only five members of the crew to escape capture were bridge officers, don't ya think? They'll never see radio waves coming? Really? Thanks for the disappointing technobabble. These starships are awfully durable when it comes to ramming things. Bones and Spock were together during the climax strictly through the power of the screenwriting and bad captaining.

All in all, I think this is a prime example of a movie that needed a budget cut of $60 million. There was way too much emphasis on the effects and showing off cool production values. Someone was WAY too proud of Yorktown (still a weird name for a starbase). The big action sequences had some cool ideas, but got boring due to their length, disorienting darkness, and a general sense of "What the hell am I even looking at?" Tone it down guys. If you must have a starship surfing an exploding wave of enemy ships, do me a favor and build up to that and don't keep the action sequence going for another 10 minutes.

I'll give a little credit for the crew being a little closer-knit than in previous movies. But, overall, I don't see how this is all that much of an improvement. It's still shallow, effects-driven muck.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.