Star Trek Beyond trailer

captainbleh

Guest El Chalupacabra

Spock: Fear of death is illogical.

Wow, even by this reboot's low standards, that is some DUMB sophomoric philosophizing going on right there. Spock needs to watch Inside Out sometime.

New one

Still don't know what to make of it, but wish the soul-searching / navel-gazing stuff wasn't so in yer face

(Pegg as Scotty is still ****)

Agreed, but, hey! This is (Fast and the) Star Trek (furious). Get with the program.

NuKirk: Saves Earth twice and comes back from the dead, yet at age 35, continues to whine, still has daddy issues, can't figure out why he's in Starfleet, and tries to live up to a father he never knew. Makes sense to me. They totally destroyed the Kirk character.

Spock/Uhura: Yep, still revolting. Just checking.

What's Rey doing in this film, and why does she look like Chiana from Farscape?

Buh-bye Abramsprise. Wish I could say I was sorry to see your ugly, albatross-looking ass go. If the last trailer didn't already confirm it, this one pretty much does. And

it pretty much also confirms the USS Franklin, that actually looks pretty cool, even if it looks like a cross between the NX-01 from Star Trek Enterprise and something that is ripped straight out of FASA.

But at least Star Trek is still dumbed down enough to go make another $450+ million.

I just hope the dumb isn't contagious....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXpPweAooeE

Even if the fact the trailer tells us nothing and doesn't reassure me of anything, the fact that Nicolas Meyer is involved, and rumors that this Star Trek will be set in the Prime universe, does a little bit.

NuKirk: Saves Earth twice and comes back from the dead, yet at age 35, continues to whine, still has daddy issues, can't figure out why he's in Starfleet, and tries to live up to a father he never knew. Makes sense to me. They totally destroyed the Kirk character.

Seriously! You know how old Shatner was when he got the role of Kirk? He was 35. Same age Chris Pine is today. We're three movies in. He should be seasoned, confident, and at least approaching Kirk by now.

Guest El Chalupacabra

That's right, Poe. Totally agree with ya!

If we are to assume that NuKirk has been captain since the last movie, that is 3 years into his 5 year mission, PLUS the time as captain between the end of Star Trek 2009 and the beginning of STID, which I guess is at least a year. And then, there is the year in between the capture of Khan, and the recommissioning of the Enterprise at the very end of STID. So, minimum 5 years at the rank of Captain.

Guest El Chalupacabra

Driver, the name of the new ship I guess is technically a rumor, but if you do a little googling, you will see a few other Star Trek based forums that have found the name. But I personally found it out here....

I know, total nerdfest there! But whatever.

Basically it's a derelict ship the crew finds after the Enterprise is destroyed, and is presumed to be older, built sometime between the show Enterprise and Star Trek 2009.

Oh, and here is a discussion on the bridge, which looks a little like the Klingon BOP in Star Trek IV

Haha-- I feel dumb. Of course there's in depth spoiler sites for Trek. I just lost so much interest I never went looking!

I have been watching old TNG episodes on Netflix and some of them are still so good that it's reminded me how big of a Trekkie I used to be, and how wrong the new movies are.

It's also very transparent that the destruction of the Enterprise and making the crew so small is a direct reaction to GOTG.

Guest El Chalupacabra

Yeah, actually the last couple weeks I rewatched Star Trek 2009 and I also have been rewatching TNG on Bluray, and think the exact same thing. The problems I have with the reboot have never been so glaring.

When Star Trek 2009 came out, it wasn't perfect, but I was sort of blown away by the freshness and boldness of the direction it went, as well as the FX, and liked it a lot. STID was the first crack in that opinion. I hate STID. As time goes on, both movies get worse and worse for me. This new one coming out I may or may not even bother with, at least until netflix, depending on word of mouth.

But it can only go up from STID!

Guest El Chalupacabra

I really want to give this movie a chance to redeem the JJverse for STID, but really, the only thing I find myself really curious about for Star Trek Beyond is if the Enterprise is destroyed, what ship they end up with at the end of the movie and I feel like it would be a hassle to sit through 2 hours just to find that out! I honestly don't care that much about the plot in between because I feel it will end pretty predictably.

Guest El Chalupacabra

That's really a given for me, too.

I mean let's see. What Star Trek do I want to see? The one written by the guy who wrote Star Trek 2,4, and 6? Or the one co-written by the guy who wrote Shaun of the Dead (albeit a good movie, it's not Star Trek), and directed by the same guy who did Fast and Furious? HMMMMM.

Back to Pegg - in general, is it a good idea for fans to write for the official productions? Fans have a distorted view of what makes the property popular and enjoyable. I can only imagine what TFA would be like if someone from this board wrote the story for Episode VII. I'd expect something like two hours of Luke flailing around with his lazersword, training hot young studs and studettes, while flying an X-wing with the force and courting a red-headed assassin with a heart of gold. Would that be a good idea?

That is so close to the worst of fan fantasies, so to your point, its not good to have a fan write for official productions.

I only liked the first reboot movie as much as I did because it held great promise for future movies. That hope is now dead.

Hard pass

This is what I've always said. When the first reboot came out I defended it. I love Trek, but after VOY and ENT and Nemesis it had gotten VERY stale and boring. The idea to get a little flashier and younger wasn't a bad one-- it needed to be re-energized. The movie was so great at that I overlooked its flaws. But given a fresh take with a franchise that they could do anything with-- they chose to try and remake TWOK, which Nemesis already proved you couldn't do.

I never got the idea in the first place. I look at the crew and wonder why they thought the best way to renew Trek is to make the whole senior crew a bunch of Wesley Crushers who have no business running a ship with yet ANOTHER time traveling storyline.

What they made was something that could generate ticket sales based on the name and characters. There's a guy named Kirk in charge, but he acts nothing like the character that he's actually supposed to be (even beyond the irreplaceable delivery of Shatner). Karl Urban (and to a lesser extent Bruce Greenwood) was the only one who really seemed to get it and walked in with a take on his character that was his own, yet clearly built on DeForest Kelley. If everyone had performed up to his level, then we'd have something interesting on our hands.

Anyway, they made their boatload of cash, which I suppose is what matters. Good for them. But outside of a ton of nodding references, there's almost nothing in there that actually made Trek a legendary franchise in the first place. Personally, I'd rather re-watch Insurrection.

Karl Urban (and to a lesser extent Bruce Greenwood) was the only one who really seemed to get it and walked in with a take on his character that was his own, yet clearly built on DeForest Kelley. If everyone had performed up to his level, then we'd have something interesting on our hands.

100% this.

Karl Urban's portrayal is solid.

As a viewer, I'd prefer a Greenwood-led movie or show.

Guest El Chalupacabra

I only liked the first reboot movie as much as I did because it held great promise for future movies. That hope is now dead.

Hard pass

This is what I've always said. When the first reboot came out I defended it. I love Trek, but after VOY and ENT and Nemesis it had gotten VERY stale and boring. The idea to get a little flashier and younger wasn't a bad one-- it needed to be re-energized. The movie was so great at that I overlooked its flaws. But given a fresh take with a franchise that they could do anything with-- they chose to try and remake TWOK, which Nemesis already proved you couldn't do.

Agree up to "the movie was great." Trek 2009 wasn't great. I'd call it good enough to warrant a sequel. Which they blew the chance miserably.

Oddly, for me, Nemesis gets better with age and rewatchings, while Trek 2009 gets worse. That is the thing about JJ movies in general (Mi, cloverfield, super 8, hell even ep 7....I have Ep 7 now on BR, and have yet to open the damn thing to rewatch it---I can't find the motivation to!): they are good, sometimes great movies first few times around, but give them a little time to go by and the rewatch ability and emotional connection factors just plummet. I have zero emotional investment in the JJverse. In fact, I have more emotional investment in Star Trek Voyager and Enterprise, which is saying a LOT, because those were pretty mediocre Star Trek, and TV in general.

I am hoping Star Trek Beyond changes that, or at least redeems the JJverse after STID. But if this one doesn't I am done with the JJverse. I just hope the upcoming 2017 TV series follows the Meyer style, and doesn't use the JJverse formula.

2009 doesn't hold up, you're right. It's pretty trite actually, and over time, the problems I have don't go away and the flashiness is familiar so it doesn't distract me as much. At the time though, it was what Trek needed.

I tried rewatching Nemesis the other night and thought it was still awful. After watching Relics, Gambit, Unification, BOBW, Tapestry, and Lower Decks recently the movie wasn't even close to the same quality.

Guest El Chalupacabra

2009 doesn't hold up, you're right. It's pretty trite actually, and over time, the problems I have don't go away and the flashiness is familiar so it doesn't distract me as much. At the time though, it was what Trek needed.

Well, if you mean by a blockbuster that made tons of money, and if Star Trek was to survive as a franchise, then yeah, I agree. Mission accomplished. We probably wouldn't be seeing the new online series if Star Trek 2009, and to be honest, Star Trek Into Darkness hadn't made so much cash.

But I am speaking as a fan of the series, since the early 1980s, when I criticize the Abramsverse. It's just too much of a generic sci fi for my liking. I will say that there are elements I like about Star Trek Beyond trailer 2, though. It is basically what STID should have been: if you are going to reboot a franchise, then bring something new to the table. The Swarm, or whatever they are called, is pretty unique. Probably the most unique enemy since the Borg, or the Dominion.

I tried rewatching Nemesis the other night and thought it was still awful. After watching Relics, Gambit, Unification, BOBW, Tapestry, and Lower Decks recently the movie wasn't even close to the same quality.

Oh, I am not arguing Nemesis is the best of TNG. Far from it. I was very disappointed with it when I saw it in the theater. Really, the all TNG films disappointed me on some level, besides First Contact. I am just saying two things:
1) I would rather rewatch Nemesis than STID, and a lesser extent Star Trek 2009,
2) Nemesis is less bad to me now, than it was when I first saw it. It is definitely a "C-" film, when you compare it to previous entries of TNG seasons 3-6, with so many missed opportunities. I know it's setting the bar low, but Nemesis was a lot better than Insurrection, though.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.