Star Trek Beyond trailer

captainbleh

I don't know what to make of that.

It has the Guardians of the Galaxy vibe the producers claimed they were looking for.

Simon Pegg wrote it (or at least co-wrote it) from what I've heard. He's a decent storyteller, I think. It may be a good story with a weird trailer. There's more than one original series Star Trek episode with the crew stranded on a planet, or separated from the Enterprise. STB looks like it is taking cues from those stories. Maybe they're fighting a new version of Vaal? If nuKirk doesn't talk a computer to death in this one, I'm not going to see it!

Back to Pegg - in general, is it a good idea for fans to write for the official productions? Fans have a distorted view of what makes the property popular and enjoyable. I can only imagine what TFA would be like if someone from this board wrote the story for Episode VII. I'd expect something like two hours of Luke flailing around with his lazersword, training hot young studs and studettes, while flying an X-wing with the force and courting a red-headed assassin with a heart of gold. Would that be a good idea?

It has the Guardians of the Galaxy vibe the producers claimed they were looking for.

You know what else has a GotG vibe? Guardians of the Galaxy

It may be a good story with a weird trailer.

Here's hoping. I found ST:ID incredibly disappointing, so I'm very quick to write this off. It probably will be terrible, but it's hard to be sure from one trailer... or is it?

:eek:

The first one was deeply flawed but ok. The second wasn't very good at all.

Aside from that I think they've assembled a great cast an I'd like to see them in a Trek movie that was full on good.

Anyone else get a species 471 vibe from those alien space ship thingies??

The good: trashing the Enterprise-- I DESPISE this version of the ship. Hopefully they get an "A" of their own and it doesn't look like a bloated guppy and has a fraction of the poriginal movie refit design's style.

The bad: everything else.

It looks like a generic action scifi movie made to cash in on GOTG and Paramount was lucky enough to own the Star Trek name to slap onto it.

So far we have no idea what the scenes with talking in them will sound like. Maybe there'll be a whole series of ten-minute ponderous pontifications about the meaning and purpose of life, plus an extended space-congress sequence discussing the feasibility of interstellar mortgage interest tax breaks or whatever, and they just didn't want to ruin those super-cerebral delights in trailer #1. I'm sure there're two or twelve more of these things to come over the next eight months.

Personally, I love the idea of them taking a break from the tone of the last two films, having some capital-F Fun, and trying something different with the visuals. Speed. Verve. PIZZAZZ. Something guaranteed to make us olds gripe.

And I'm willing to grant (co-?)writer Pegg some leeway. But if the finished product turns out to have zero brains, then we burn it down.

I'd much rather see some stuff that is more connected to TOS in feel than another Enterprise destruction, but Into Darkness bored me, so this is probably Netflix at best.

Guest El Chalupacabra

And this is what happens when you go from JJ Abrams to a director of the Fast and Furious "franchise" GOOD GAWD this looks awful!

Agreed. Really, I didn't even get a Guardians of the Galaxy vibe... I just got the generic 'splosions blockbuster Fast and Furious-style vibe.

The good: trashing the Enterprise-- I DESPISE this version of the ship. Hopefully they get an "A" of their own and it doesn't look like a bloated guppy and has a fraction of the poriginal movie refit design's style.

The bad: everything else.

It looks like a generic action scifi movie made to cash in on GOTG and Paramount was lucky enough to own the Star Trek name to slap onto it.

Agreed, though the Enterprise has grown on me. I don't mind it so much now, but when I first saw it it was like holy Sh**.

I'm Beyond done with this series. Space diplomacy? **** that ****, IT"S SABAOTAGE Y'ALL!

No, more like...Sabataage!

Guest El Chalupacabra

yeah supposed to be a call back, I am sure.

Having Beastie Boys in Star Trek is about as jarring as having Along the Watchtower in Battlestar Galactica.

I am disappointed with how bad this movie looks, but really, after STID, I didn't expect much to begin with. That movie pretty much confirmed Star Trek was finally dead and buried. If the upcoming 2017 Star Trek TV show is anything like this steaming pile, I won't be watching.

• 5 months later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.