Alright, who else here is voting for THE DONALD?

Carrie Mathison

^ RE: your * ^

Most Sanders supporters I know are early to mid 20's have-nots, who have a long list of things that they feel they are entitled to and are just waiting to obtain it without working for it.

I'm not a Bernie hater, I think the guy has good intentions, but doesn't really grasp 1) the fallout from his proposed policies and 2) the fact that there's no way 97% of it won't happen, as Pong said. But you just described the biggest Bernie supporters I know. Only they're early 30s and sort of immature for their age. So it still makes perfect sense.

Without the regular, super long reports from CM about every candidate and every primary, this doesn't even feel like a real election season.

I just read a FB post from a guy I've known forever who said he prefers bin Laden over Trump, because "at least bin Laden had some honor" whatever that means.

Look, I'm not going to argue that Trump is a good, or even acceptable candidate... but I'm pretty sure his goal isn't the destruction of the United States and other "despots," and the eventual establishment of a caliphate.

Oh happy day. Watching people lose their ****ing minds as Trump keeps winning is a glorious thing.

Without the regular, super long reports from CM about every candidate and every primary, this doesn't even feel like a real election season.

:(

I've posted as much as I can. It's been pretty busy the past few months at work so I haven't had a lot of time.

Are you being serious or are you just making fun of me?

:)

Well, I actually have some time right now, but unfortunately I don't have a ton to say at the moment. The win yesterday for Sanders in MI was highly unexpected, but the math is difficult for him- even if he wins every contest from here on, unless he wins by larger margins, Clinton will win the nomination. I think the Dem primary has been more instructive in the sense that it's revealed some weak points in Clinton's campaign- for example, she is going to have a tough time dealing with trade, especially against someone like Trump, and I don't expect her message to really resonate in the Midwest.

The GOP side is a sh-tshow of course, but the pieces are sorta falling into place. Rubio was embarrassed yesterday, but that's not too surprising since he was never really ready for prime time. Cruz will win a few more states since he has a lock on the Jesus vote, but it'll be tough to get the establishment to support him, since they personally hate the guy. That and Cruz's best states are behind him- he doesn't have any particular appeal in OH or FL. If somehow Trump loses one (for example, say Kasich plays spoiler in OH), it'll just delay the process. Up after OH and FL is NY, which has 95 delegates and I expect Trump to perform there in a similar fashion to MA, which he won by 31 points. On that note, Trump has put together an interesting coalition, I call it- the Jimmy Carter coalition. In that, like Carter in '76, he's doing well in the northeast and the south and worse in the West. I think this is because his brash style and anti-trade message play well in the industrial North, and his nationalism plays well in the South. The west is naturally going to be less sympathetic to both.

I guess the big question is whether Cruz can realistically stop Trump at this point, and I'm not sure. Even a brokered convention seems unlikely if Trump wins OH/FL. One thing that's been annoying me is how everyone can't understand how Trump managed to sustain his campaign, and how he keeps winning, as if he's got some magic trick or secret code ring or whatever. It's not terribly complicated, but the problem is neither the Republican establishment (nor liberals for that matter) understood where his popularity came from.. they didn't understand it last year and to some degree, they still don't understand it now. But it was never that mystifying that me, nor was it to other people intelligently writing about the topic (some links of which I've posted in this thread).. Trump could've been stopped a long time ago if people were a little more in tune with how a lot of middle Americans feel right now. If Dems want to beat Trump (assuming he gets the nomination), they need to learn some hard lessons from this primary. There are some attacks that not only do not hurt Trump, but actually make him stronger. How people continually don't get this is, like I said, mystifying.

Along those lines, I also think Dems have to be careful what they wish for in Trump winning. I know some Dems are hoping for a Trump win, since presumably he'll be the easier candidate to beat in the general election. I think that's extremely foolish. Someone like Cruz would be easy, since he doesn't have any issues that appeal to moderates/independents, he's unlikable and also just sorta creepy. Trump is more charismatic than Clinton and can also run to Clinton's left on a lot of issues that she's vulnerable on. So in that sense, a Trump/Clinton election could be highly unpredictable and could lead to several states (on both sides) flipping. It could actually be a realigning election, which we've actually been due for now (the last one being in 1964), so it was bound to happen sooner or later.

:(

I've posted as much as I can. It's been pretty busy the past few months at work so I haven't had a lot of time.

Are you being serious or are you just making fun of me?

Serious. I miss your posts.

I know a lot of more conservative voters in the "anyone but Trump" camp who are strongly supporting Kasich in Ohio. Oddly, all of the liberals I know post non-stop about how they hate Trump, but they also want Kasich to lose.

I agree with the assessment that if Trump wins OH and FL, it's over. I don't see much chance of Trump losing Florida, so it really comes down to Ohio, and Kasich is the only possible spoiler there.

I'll probably end up voting for Kasich, because I think he's the best of the current choices and Trump is already almost guaranteed a win. Plus I want to do anything I can to continue the insanity of this election.

Rubio had almost no turn out for a rally in a giant stadium. I saw a post on FB where someone in my family who lives in Florida lamented that if Rubio had fulfilled some of campaign promises and not been a shirker (his absentee record is amazing) that he would have more support in the Florida primary. This relative feels they have to support Cruz because Trump's comments about race bother him. Even Trump's black contingent is willing to overlook racist comments and KKK history/backing because they feel everyone is racist and Trump's is at least out in the open (based on Michigan interviewee's I heard on NPR - but what do a I know and how do you explain people who are Hispanic and Black supporting Trump?).

At least if you vote Kasich, Fozzie, you're not throwing your vote away like I did in Texas voting in the primary for Bernie. Texas is weird. I'm listed Democrat on my voter registration so I was bound into chosing only Democrats otherwise I'd have gone Kasich. I am glad I did not register as Independent - they don't get to vote in primaries. My ballot was funny. It listed Webb and O'Malley and one other unmemorable one as options to chose too even though they'd dropped out by then.

My Rubio-supporting "NeverTrump" friend is coming around to Trump; mostly because she feels Rubio has zero chance without pulling the rug out from under Trump, which, in theory, would cause many of Trump's supporters to stay home in November... and because she hates Cruz as an "inflexible, grandstanding ideologue."

She'd rather vote for Hillary Clinton than Ted Cruz, but would hold her nose and vote for Trump to keep Clinton out of the White House.

Wow, Cruz must be truly awful. Plus, he eats boogers on stage.

From Camille Paglia (emphasis mine):

From my perspective as a fervent supporter of the ruggedly honest and principled Bernie Sanders, Trump with his pragmatic real-life record is a far more palatable national figure than Ted Cruz, whose unctuous, vainglorious professions of Christian piety don’t pass the smell test. Trump is a blunt, no-crap mensch, while Cruz is a ham actor, doling out fake compassion like chopped liver. Cruz’s lugubrious, weirdly womanish face, with its prim, tight smile and mawkishly appealing puppy-dog eyebrows, is like a waxen mask, always on the verge of melting. This guy doesn’t know who the hell he is—and the White House is no place for him and us to find out.

omfg best description of Cruz ever.

That is hilariously accurate.

It was cringe-inducing to see Cruz's daughter snub him. Also, his wife clearly hates the typical GOP voter. Somehow, the average conservative relates less to Cruz than Donald F***ing Trump.

I've stayed out of these threads because I didn't have anything to add, but I really just can't believe it. Donald Trump is going to get the nomination if the scenario stays the same. I think it's too late for the GOP to do anything about it now, they waited too long.

I don't think that the GOP could have done anything at any point. Maybe given him the establishment blessing to begin with? But that takes someone saying "hey, I know my party hates me, so if I endorse Donald Trump maybe the hatred they feel for me will rub off." Nobody does that.

The Democrats formed Trump. They talked about him, mocked him, attacked him and at least on my Facebook feed are increasingly calling for his murder. The GOP doesn't have enough manpower to fight that kind of advertising for Trump. I'm half tempted to vote for him just because I hate the anti-Trump forces so much right now.

at least on my Facebook feed are increasingly calling for his murder.

Holy shit.

My social media feeds have literally been almost nothing but anti-Trump Hysteria, Berniegasms, and Hillary Disdain for months, but at least nobody has called for anybody else's murder. That is awful.

I always think of Hilkary as a person a moderate GOPer would vote for. Take her name and historical background away and she really will keep things as they've been since Bush. To be honest minus gay marriage and a shitty VA issue, Obama has been centrist and moderate too. The current crop of voters are just indicative of how stupid America has gotten as they fall for hyperbolic media manufactured scams.

Lets just close the borders and inbreed now.

Lets just close the borders and inbreed now.

Gawd. The borders are a prime example of stupidly politicized issues.

Unless you are one of those ultra progressive/libertarian twats who doesn't believe in borders period, a combination of securing the border while simultaneously making legal immigration faster and less painful (with allowances for people seeking asylum/fleeing disaster ofc) -- WITHOUT going all nutty and trying to ship out tons of people who just took advantage of the porous border in order to make a living -- is something I think most reasonable people could agree on, but we have this false dichotomy of "THROW ALL DEM BROWN TERRORAPISTS OUT RAR!" vs. "LETS NOT DO ANYTHING OR AT LEAST ACT LIKE WE ARE NOT DOING ANYTHING LEST WE OFFEND PPL WHO OVERWHELMINGLY VOTE DEMOCRAT!"

Meanwhile, I can't even tell you what Obama has done on the border -- good? bad? mixed? While Republicans (with some exceptions) only seem to use the issue as a means of attacking one another for not sufficiently hating illegal immigrants.

So ****ing dumb.

I can't get my head off the upsides of Trump winning...

-- garbage people will be easily identifiable

-- the GOP and the DEMS will find a new level of bipartisan action as they work together in congress to block anything Trump tries to pass

-- the rest of the world will get the validation that we're a joke with the biggest guns

-- our political system and base intelligence level of our citizens are proven to be an utter ****show

Not the end of the world, and exactly the sort of things needed to justify overhauling this country

The response to Trump in the years after his presidency would be crazy

SJWs Will Elect Trump

What happened tonight in Chicago is why we need Trump, as obnoxious as he is, to keep going. I am not a Trump supporter, and I reject much of his rhetoric. But he has a right to give a speech, even an obnoxious speech, without it being interrupted by demonstrators. All of us do. Trump is revealing how impossible it is to have a normal democracy with the activist left, who think their crying need for “safe spaces” gives them the right to silence their opponents.
No. This political correctness needs to be opposed, and it needs to be opposed with force. I don’t know why the police couldn’t handle this situation, but they had better be on it in the future, because many Americans will not stand for this. What those protesters have done tonight is create a lot more Trump voters out of people who are sick and tired of privileged leftists using thug tactics to silence their opponents.
[...]
Don’t y’all understand that people like you only feed the Trump beast?

Did you write that, Foz?

:eek:

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.