Alright, who else here is voting for THE DONALD?

Carrie Mathison

That's the point I'm trying to make. You can't generalize Sanders supports just like you can't generalize Trump supporters.

Well, you can... but you'd be wrong.

If my grandfather were alive, I know he'd be a bigtime Bernie supporter, 'cause Bernie's rhetoric is all about not screwing the worker/middle class over, and that kind of left-wing populism really appealed to gramps -- who, btw, was not lazy or entitled or narcissistic, had no student loan debt, owned his own home, received full Social Security benefits, and (as far as I know) didn't live on Adderall, gluten-free marijuana, non-GMO kale smoothies.

:shrug:

As far as Trump goes, I would never vote for him or go to one of his rallies, but from write-ups in the media, it sounds like his rallies are 50% standup political/current events comedy, and 40% talking about trade and bringing back manufacturing jobs, with stuff about the border wall or "something is up with Islam" thrown in as applause lines, but not a prime focus.

So I guess racists just find rambling, Queens-flavored blue-collar political comedy about bringing back jobs irresistible!

:eek:

Well, you can... but you'd be wrong.

If my grandfather were alive, I know he'd be a bigtime Bernie supporter, 'cause Bernie's rhetoric is all about not screwing the worker/middle class over, and that kind of left-wing populism really appealed to gramps -- who, btw, was not lazy or entitled or narcissistic, had no student loan debt, owned his own home, received full Social Security benefits, and (as far as I know) didn't live on Adderall, gluten-free marijuana, non-GMO kale smoothies.

:shrug:

As far as Trump goes, I would never vote for him or go to one of his rallies, but from write-ups in the media, it sounds like his rallies are 50% standup political/current events comedy, and 40% talking about trade and bringing back manufacturing jobs, with stuff about the border wall or "something is up with Islam" thrown in as applause lines, but not a prime focus.

So I guess racists just find rambling, Queens-flavored blue-collar political comedy about bringing back jobs irresistible!

So ... they're what left and right respectively were back in 1945 - 1960, thereabouts?

Guys like your grandfather elected Roosevelt in the US and Attlee in the UK. Trump and his supporters would have been more Eisenhower and Churchill.

And we're freaking out about Sanders and (especially) Trump? Seems to me we can't have guys like that back in office fast enough. Better they than the religious right and the SJWs any day.

Holy ****, news just cut to Sarah Palin at a Trump Rally in Florida, cackling about how we don't have time for the "punk ass thuggery" of the protesters.

Not trying to be mean, not trying to be funny, I know her husband is in intensive care right now, yada yada -- but she honestly sounds like she's on an a megadose of amphetamines. Whoa.

Do you honestly believe that you have to be a racist to vote for Trump? Are you that conformed to PC bull****? If so, then wow.

Can't speak in this individual case, but yes there are a lot -- LOT -- of people who think the only possible reason somebody could vote for Trump is because they are racist. It's hysterical -- kind of like the whole "only lazy, jealous people who want free stuff could vote for Bernie" on meth.

Of course Trump has attracted a lot of supporters who harbor racial animus, just as Bernie has attracted a lot of lazy millennials; that is undeniable. But only a partisan simp could see the entire dynamic in such black-and-white terms.

I can't imagine someone who isn't racist voting for Trump. How could a non-racist justify that, even in their own mind?

No, they're stupid. I've seen them. NOT voting is also an option.

LOL

Not the first time I have heard that comment from a committed leftist this year. And wow.

With it shaping up to be Clinton vs. Trump this has become first election in my lifetime where factions in the GOP talk about how it is good to increase voter turnout, while the Democrats whine about it's better if stupid people don't vote. Oh, how the worm has turned!

I'm not encouraging anyone not to vote, just pointing out that Trump isn't anyone's ONLY choice

Do you honestly believe that you have to be a racist to vote for Trump? Are you that conformed to PC bull****? If so, then wow.

Can't speak in this individual case, but yes there are a lot -- LOT -- of people who think the only possible reason somebody could vote for Trump is because they are racist. It's hysterical -- kind of like the whole "only lazy, jealous people who want free stuff could vote for Bernie" on meth.

Of course Trump has attracted a lot of supporters who harbor racial animus, just as Bernie has attracted a lot of lazy millennials; that is undeniable. But only a partisan simp could see the entire dynamic in such black-and-white terms.

I can't imagine someone who isn't racist voting for Trump. How could a non-racist justify that, even in their own mind?

Did you read even a single post of mine in this thread?

Guest El Chalupacabra

Holy ****, news just cut to Sarah Palin at a Trump Rally in Florida, cackling about how we don't have time for the "punk ass thuggery" of the protesters.

Not trying to be mean, not trying to be funny, I know her husband is in intensive care right now, yada yada -- but she honestly sounds like she's on an a megadose of amphetamines. Whoa.

I don't know if Sarah Palin is actually getting crazier each year, or if she was always that crazy, and each public appearance simply reveals a little bit more how crazy she is.

Well, to be fair, you are a documented racist, aren't you?

But seriously, Trump seems OK with picking up the racist vote. I mean even you said he might as well, since no one else is grabbing it, right?

Thing is, even if Trump himself isn't racist, if he is going to court the racist vote, by default he becomes the one representing them. If he wants their vote, he has to accept the criticism that goes along with picking that vote up. It's guilt by association.

I don't know if Sarah Palin is actually getting crazier each year, or if she was always that crazy, and each public appearance simply reveals a little bit more how crazy she is.

My gut feeling is that it's a combination of actually being more crazy along with her removing her filter (which is no longer necessary, due to her being an entertainer without any realistic political ambitions). tl;dr: more crazy, but it's also about the paycheck.

Thing is, even if Trump himself isn't racist, if he is going to court the racist vote, by default he becomes the one representing them. If he wants their vote, he has to accept the criticism that goes along with picking that vote up. It's guilt by association.

Absolutely. How the hell do you pivot away from that in the general election? I mean, you know he is going to do his best to try, but is there any successful precedent in modern, Western democratic elections?

That's what I meant about it being such a dangerous game (high risk, low payoff in my estimation) when his little wink-nod/tapdance started.

I mean, unless he really is a racist and proud to hang his hat on it.

But seriously, Trump seems OK with picking up the racist vote. I mean even you said he might as well, since no one else is grabbing it, right?

It is one thing to say Trump is a racist, but to basically announce that everyone who votes for him is racist is either hyperbole or stupidity. There are plenty of reasons why a person would support Trump. Here's an article where a few Latino voters explain why the support Trump.

I'm not a Trump supporter at all, but these types of churlish attacks on anyone who thinks differently are really nothing more than an attempt to silence and shame.

Guest El Chalupacabra

I can't speak for what MG said, and I am not saying all Trump supporters are racist. But what I am saying is that Trump deserves criticism for actively courting racist voters. If he wants to speak to said racist voters in overt or covert messages, whether or not Trump himself is racist or not, he is seeking the support of racists. If Obama can be labeled a radical by Sean Hannity or other GOP supports for associating with Bill Ayers or Jeremiah Wright, and by extension anyone voting for Obama must also be radicals who "want to destroy 'Mericuh, and all that is good, wholesome, and pure" then it is a fair to at the very least, criticize Trump, label him guilty by association, and question whether those who flock to his rallies to listen him rail against Muslims and Latinos do so because they are prejudiced on some level, if not out and out racist.

If Obama can be labeled a radical by Sean Hannity or other GOP supports for associating with Bill Ayers or Jeremiah Wright, and by extension anyone voting for Obama must also be radicals who "want to destroy 'Mericuh, and all that is good, wholesome, and pure" then it is a fair to at the very least, criticize Trump, label him guilty by association, and question whether those who flock to his rallies to listen him rail against Muslims and Latinos do so because they are prejudiced on some level, if not out and out racist.

It's tragic that this sort of bulls**t is so integral a part of American politics, though. Smear tactics. Argument from intimidation. Fear mongering. Does America not have real problems that need to be addressed without this kind of stupid grandstanding?

It is one thing to say Trump is a racist, but to basically announce that everyone who votes for him is racist is either hyperbole or stupidity. There are plenty of reasons why a person would support Trump. Here's an article where a few Latino voters explain why the support Trump.

I'm not a Trump supporter at all, but these types of churlish attacks on anyone who thinks differently are really nothing more than an attempt to silence and shame.

omg those latino voters r so racist it makes me sad

Guest El Chalupacabra

If Obama can be labeled a radical by Sean Hannity or other GOP supports for associating with Bill Ayers or Jeremiah Wright, and by extension anyone voting for Obama must also be radicals who "want to destroy 'Mericuh, and all that is good, wholesome, and pure" then it is a fair to at the very least, criticize Trump, label him guilty by association, and question whether those who flock to his rallies to listen him rail against Muslims and Latinos do so because they are prejudiced on some level, if not out and out racist.

It's tragic that this sort of bulls**t is so integral a part of American politics, though. Smear tactics. Argument from intimidation. Fear mongering. Does America not have real problems that need to be addressed without this kind of stupid grandstanding?

I couldn't agree more. Politics really is hyperbole. On one hand, I like to see the racehorse of political campaigns, but I want to see discussions of real solutions to real problems. This election cycle especially has been disappointing. You know things have sunk to ever new lows when candidates literally name call on stage, and compare dick sizes.

Yes, I have. But this thread is 11 pages long and I don't recall every single word you said.

I just went through it all and find only this-in this thread-on racism and Trump:

"For example, immigration. Trump has been pretty specific and clear, I think, about what he wants to do about illegal immigrants here, or Muslim immigrants coming in, etc. But people don't like it. They don't like that, but they don't also want to necessarily publicly admit, "hey, I want to bring in lots and lots of Muslims!" So what happens? Well the old standby- first, "YOU'RE RACIST!" and then followed up quickly by, "hey you don't have specifics, there is no way this could ever work, bla bla bla." I can't wait until the debates with Clinton, when an immigration question is asked... Trump gives his simple and easy to understand answer that resonates with most ordinary people, while Clinton tries desperately to triangulate into something that doesn't offend anybody and ends up saying nothing specific."

and again, I don't see an explanation of how anyone who is NOT racist would be able to handle Trump's racism and actually vote for him despite it.

It's true.

I'm even torn between how awful Trump is and how awful the anti-Trump forces are. I didn't vote for him today, but when it comes to the general election, the monkeygirls of the world are likely going to push me to it.

It's true.

I'm even torn between how awful Trump is and how awful the anti-Trump forces are. I didn't vote for him today, but when it comes to the general election, the monkeygirls of the world are likely going to push me to it.

I wouldn't go that far. In the end it has to come down to actual political substance and where the better ideas are. A vote just to spite the SJWs is as foolish and wrong headed as the SJWs themselves are, making everything about their racial or sexual hysteria.

You're quite right about the rising anti-Trump backlash, though. I read post after post in the comments sections in news articles about Trump calling for violence at Trump rallies, from forcibly disrupting and shutting down rallies up to and including assassinating the guy. This, I guess, because Trump "incites violence."

To be THAT oblivious to your own hypocrisy, you pretty much have to be a progressive.

and again, I don't see an explanation of how anyone who is NOT racist would be able to handle Trump's racism and actually vote for him despite it.

The same way a pro-life Catholic who votes for a pro-choice Democrat because they can't stomach Republican economic policy handles it.

The same way a traditional conservative who votes for a neocon because they can't stomach the Democrats' stance on social issues handle it.

In other words, like an adult who is able to choose political candidates on the totality of the issues, basing their decision on whoever nets the highest score.

A voter can look at Donald Trump and be turned off by him saying illegal immigrants are rapists or his call to "pause" Muslims from entering the U.S., but still vote for him because they agree with his positions on free trade and corporate inversion, his nebulous promise to bring back jobs, to rebuild the military, to secure the border (wanting secure borders is not racist/xenophobic in and of itself, no matter what your college professor or fellow tumblrites might bleat), or simply because the idea of electing yet another career politician is no longer acceptable.

Again, I've been clear in saying that I believe Trump supporters are more likely than average to harbor negative feelings toward brown people and Muslims (bigotry, for the layperson), and that I believe Trump has deliberately courted that vote. But the idea that somebody who is not racist just couldn't vote for Trump is patently absurd.

I swear, explaining this stuff -- these incredibly basic concepts -- to you is like trying to console a petulant child. If I didn't know you, I'd be convinced you were trolling.

I don't know if I'm more astounded at the way the media are lapping up his diarrhea or the abject stupidity of some of his followers

and the way they actually seem proud of how dumb they are. I'm not sure why this makes anyone want to vote for him. Tha fawk am I missing

in this down-the-rabbit-hole equation?

'The same way a pro-life Catholic who votes for a pro-choice Democrat because they can't stomach Republican economic policy handles it."

Yeah, see, that makes no sense to me, either. Is it just that almost everybody but me has zero convictions? Things like abortion/health rights,

racism and the basic nature of a person are infinitely more important to me than economic policy. I simply don't understand how a person could

completely abandon their most closely-held, basic tenets, unless they are NOT and they're just mere whims.

"But the idea that somebody who is not racist just couldn't vote for Trump is patently absurd."

Absurd? I don't even know what to say to that! *I* don't believe you can see it that way! What's the point of BEING against racism if you're okay

with putting a racist in charge of the free world? I can see it if a person has no feeling about racism one way or another, buy one who is against

racism must actually DO the things that make one so, which, in my mind, would include NOT voting for a racist for President. Am I REALLY that odd?

I don't know if I'm more astounded at the way the media are lapping up his diarrhea or the abject stupidity of some of his followers
and the way they actually seem proud of how dumb they are. I'm not sure why this makes anyone want to vote for him. Tha fawk am I missing
in this down-the-rabbit-hole equation?

Congratulations, you just created two more Trump voters!

Yeah, see, that makes no sense to me, either. Is it just that almost everybody but me has zero convictions? Things like abortion/health rights,

racism and the basic nature of a person are infinitely more important to me than economic policy. I simply don't understand how a person could
completely abandon their most closely-held, basic tenets, unless they are NOT and they're just mere whims.

This isn't about zero convictions, it is about acknowledging that we don't live in a perfect world and being an adult about it. Even if the idea of 1.2 million abortions per year outrages you and makes your heart hurt, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to understand that overturning Roe v. Wade tomorrow wouldn't stop abortion -- and furthermore, that despite their lofty rhetoric, Republicans have, at best, only made it more difficult to procure abortions in certain situations.

So if you also are convinced that Republican economic policies limit opportunities and lead to suffering -- especially among the poor -- and one of your convictions is that everybody deserves a fair shot at life, why not vote for a Democrat? At least Democrats have a history of actually legislating stuff, even if the results are arguable.

In my estimation, it's truer to your convictions than just staying home and whining about how everybody sucks without ever actually voting.

"But the idea that somebody who is not racist just couldn't vote for Trump is patently absurd."
Absurd? I don't even know what to say to that! *I* don't believe you can see it that way! What's the point of BEING against racism if you're okay
with putting a racist in charge of the free world? I can see it if a person has no feeling about racism one way or another, buy one who is against
racism must actually DO the things that make one so, which, in my mind, would include NOT voting for a racist for President. Am I REALLY that odd?

You are moving the goalposts. You said somebody who is NOT racist could not vote for Trump, and I think I provided examples.

Now you are saying people who are actively offended by and opposed to racism, which is a different and harder argument to make, given some of Trump's statements and (at least what I have interpreted as) his wink-wink-nod-nod game of footsie with southern racists. In fact, I have personally said that I can't think of a precedent in modern, Western democracy where a candidate has put his toes so deep in the bigoted end of the swimming pool and managed to successfully wriggle out of it. But that's not what you originally said.

And yes, you are that odd.

It's true.

I wouldn't go that far. In the end it has to come down to actual political substance and where the better ideas are. A vote just to spite the SJWs is as foolish and wrong headed as the SJWs themselves are, making everything about their racial or sexual hysteria.

You're quite right about the rising anti-Trump backlash, though. I read post after post in the comments sections in news articles about Trump calling for violence at Trump rallies, from forcibly disrupting and shutting down rallies up to and including assassinating the guy. This, I guess, because Trump "incites violence."

To be THAT oblivious to your own hypocrisy, you pretty much have to be a progressive.

To be fair, it's not like I'm a Bernie supporter saying I'm going to switch to Trump. More that I don't think there are any good options, including third party, so I'm going from considering Johnson as a protest vote to considering Trump as a protest vote against the SJW. Either way, my vote is likely going to be a protest vote.

I don't disagree that Trump seems to be, at least implicitly, OK with picking up the racist vote.

But that's not what MG was arguing. MG was arguing that it's impossible for a non-racist to support Trump, which is incomprehensibly silly.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.