Alright, who else here is voting for THE DONALD?

Carrie Mathison

Late to the party, but I agree with the sentiment that Trump is Frankenstein's monster. It's basic cyclical theory. If we view political correctness, arresting parents for kids being tardy to school or being home alone @ age 13, etc as a pendulum that has swayed too far from the center, then Trump is the illustration of the natural progression of the pendulum swinging back the other way.

And no, that was not an endorsement.

I don't think the problem is really race, culture or immigration. It goes deeper than that. It goes to the natural human tendency to factionalize - to divide communities in an "us vs. them" kind of way. There's no way out of this. The liberal multicultural utopia, for all its talk of inclusion and equality, still contrasts itself with "angry white dudes" and racist redneck sorts more generally. Do away with the white nationalists and the MRAs, and the liberal SJW must find some other "privileged" faction to crusade against. Maybe white (as opposed to POC or LGBT) feminists. Maybe black/gay males still enjoying male privilege. But it would have to be something: the whole crux of their identity depends on this.

Kurgan laying down some motherf-cking TRUTH right here.

Preach it.

Early this morning, I noticed 3 Trump = Hitler/Mussolini posts and people acting like electing him is going to result in WWIII, millions dead, etc. right next to one another, so I decided it would be fun to count how many I could find in 12 hours.

Now, it's 11:16 AM, and I have officially lost count!

:eek:

TRUMP IS HITLOLINI!!!

Independent Voter News: "My Dear Liberal Friends: Trump shaming isn't working, so stop it."

But here’s the problem. Trump shaming is not working. It is backfiring badly because the bulk of Trump’s supporters have been on the receiving end of these kinds of sneering, sarcastic, superior comments for much of their lives. When liberals (and in culture-war terms, this includes Democrats, media outlets, and establishment Republicans) make sneering and disparaging remarks about Donald Trump, the people in his core audience feel even more affinity with him; the same liberals have been making disparaging remarks about them for years.

Shame and sarcasm are not going to defeat Trump because shame and sarcasm created him. Those who do not want to see a Trump presidency (and I include myself in this number) need to change tactics quickly. Mockery and derision have been complete failures.

I just finished reading So You've Been Publicly Shamed and I just thought about Trump so much.

Just wait until the tide starts to turn on individual Trump supporters, once they realize they can't shame Trump himself. I have a feeling that they're going to be digging up dirt on Aunt Mary from Nebraska and ruining her life just because they can't handle being beaten. In the meantime, they just make Trump stronger and stronger.

Meanwhile, away from social media, there has been a constant stream of anti-Trump ads on Fox News, and Neil Cavuto just dragged out the Hobby Lobby guy to rant about how un-Godly Trump is. Oh man, the sheer horror on all sides is delicious. I only wish Sanders hadn't been so crushed in South Carolina the other day -- today could have been the perfect news cycle.

i just read some piece about how generals are talking about not taking Trump orders if he gets to office.

It's gonna happen! Civil War part Duex!

This is how the west coast can become its own country finally! We need crap President and it all falls down and gets rebuilt!

Driver, the key word was "unlawful," as in not to obey unlawful orders, which is perfectly reasonable regardless of who is president. Should also be noted that this started with a retired general chatting on Bill Maher's show, so consider the angle/audience. I personally know a lot of people who would pray hourly to be rescued from a Trump presidency by some kind of bloodless, Alvarado-style leftist coup, but it's a pretty far-fetched scenario!

:eek:

So what, if anything, WILL work to steer people away from Trump? Nothing seems to have made a difference so far, so is there anything? Is it too late? Was it always too late?

If Trump does as well or better than expected tomorrow, probably nothing. People be mad. And if Sanders continues to fade, I'd expect Trump's ceiling to continue to rise, as he becomes (even) more of a symbol* than a candidate.

* To paraphrase one of the Sunday guys: an embodiment of the public's "repudiation of 30 years of bipartisan failure in the form of endless war, eroded civil liberties, unsound fiscal, trade, and immigration policies."

Stop ruining my hyperbolic fantasies with your logic and facts.

Driver, the key word was "unlawful," as in not to obey unlawful orders, which is perfectly reasonable regardless of who is president. Should also be noted that this started with a retired general chatting on Bill Maher's show, so consider the angle/audience. I personally know a lot of people who would pray hourly to be rescued from a Trump presidency by some kind of bloodless, Alvarado-style leftist coup, but it's a pretty far-fetched scenario!

CM: I wonder how you feel about Trump's "earpiece?"

Coy racist dog whistle? Do you actually believe the lame excuse?

I have actually never gotten the vibe that he is a racist -- IMO, it's pretty hard to hate people based on skin color if you travel and interact with that lots of people, and he's obviously done that more than most. So, for all of his other personality failings, that's not one I've considered.

So, assuming he's not racist and that the earpiece excuse is a lie, it's probably fair to assume he was trying to do two things at once: play to racist voters in southern states a few days before the primaries... but in a way that (he hopes) can be easily brushed off later as a flub or miscommunication. Given how teflon he's been so far, maybe it'll work. Pretty risky play, though.

Assuming that is what was going on, are you OK with somebody who is that willing to nakedly play to people's basest nature?

I just finished reading So You've Been Publicly Shamed and I just thought about Trump so much.

Just wait until the tide starts to turn on individual Trump supporters, once they realize they can't shame Trump himself. I have a feeling that they're going to be digging up dirt on Aunt Mary from Nebraska and ruining her life just because they can't handle being beaten. In the meantime, they just make Trump stronger and stronger.

It has already begun. I saw some videos calling Trump supporters racist.

Man I love American politics.

I mean, take British politics. It's the driest, eye-glazing-over-with-boredom inducing drivel. Jowly ham-robots (not as exciting as it sounds) pontificating about fiscal security in stuffy accents proclaiming "You, SIR! I disagree!"

American politics on the other hand is more like a massive sporting event, with fanfare and fireworks, and a halftime show featuring Beyoncé and the panthers. And god damn if Donald Trumps is not the team to have come out seemingly out of NOWHERE to make it into the playoffs this season and everyone is on the edge of their seat to see what is gonna transpire. Could this be the biggest upset of the season!? I dunno, Tom but I'm absolutely transfixed. I mean the guy has got the legs, and the mouth, to get upfront and centre but he's gonna have to pull some solid play from somewhere if he's gonna make the final! ..... You catch my drift.....

****ing love it. Kinda scary at times, but impossible to look away

I think Kasich has the only reasonable plan to beat Trump, at this point. It's a longshot, but I don't foresee Cruz or Rubio having the legs to beat him, especially after losing their home states. If they drop out and Kasich manages to take Ohio, you could have a real fight.

So what, if anything, WILL work to steer people away from Trump? Nothing seems to have made a difference so far, so is there anything? Is it too late? Was it always too late?

If he wins Super Tuesday? Then, yeah, it was probably always too late. This scenario became inevitable about 20 years ago when, in a globalized world, liberals decided to abandon real issues and things that mattered to most average Americans in favor of manufactured, SJW novelty issues. Maybe 10 years ago there was a chance to still change course, but certainly not now. I'd go into more detail, but at risk of repeating myself- just read my previous post in this thread here.

Assuming that is what was going on, are you OK with somebody who is that willing to nakedly play to people's basest nature?

Unfortunately I'm a little pressed for time, so I can't give you one of my standard detailed replies (not that you care, not ever being a fan of my tl;dr posts).

But the answer to your question is- "meh." The ends justify the means.

I mean, take British politics. It's the driest, eye-glazing-over-with-boredom inducing drivel. Jowly ham-robots (not as exciting as it sounds) pontificating about fiscal security in stuffy accents proclaiming "You, SIR! I disagree!"

What are you talking about? Have you ever actually watched the House of Commons when it's in session?

Way more entertaining than Congress, and it's not even particularly close.

Unfortunately I'm a little pressed for time, so I can't give you one of my standard detailed replies (not that you care, not ever being a fan of my tl;dr posts).

But the answer to your question is- "meh." The ends justify the means.

Not a worry, I figured that was where you stood.

It seems a risky move to me; then again most of the people I know in real life and much of who I read are the type of folks who are hypersensitive to the point of blanching at Devo's "Triumph of the Will" 'cause it doesn't pause to explicitly condemn fascism (even though it's obvious satire to anybody with half a brain). No idea how much this will hurt him outside of my little social/media bubble (who would never vote for him anyway), but it seems like it should at least be a net negative.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.