Alright, who else here is voting for THE DONALD?

Carrie Mathison

And let me add- this is not an ironic Trump supporter post (an internet meme of its own).

Maybe a month or two ago I was thinking, what could possibly bring down this.. this... buffoon who has led the polls straight since summer? And then I began actually examining Trump's political positions:

Centrist to lightly right leaning on economics, with a few key liberal positions (and, also being a lifelong member of the moneyed class with, nonetheless, a disdain for certain members, including hedge fund managers); sensible foreign policy of limited engagements (anti Iraq War, predicted 9/11, easily the least hawkish of the GOP candidates except maybe Paul); completely uncaring about religion and social issues (and pretty obvious about it); molding a whole campaign around being anti-PC and anti-SJW (SJWs being one of the few things that actually angers me these days); having no issue with calling pathetic weak people, "losers," when it's appropriate; freely willing to admit Western Civilization is superior to the current barbaric state of Islamic nations; being highly concerned about the downfall of this nation, as well as extremely anti illegal-immigrant (something in the past I was relatively indifferent on, but have become more conservative on, year by year); not to mention, a fellow New Yorker......

I realized then, with (at the time), abject horror.. that.. wait a minute.. this man... almost entirely mirrors all my political beliefs!

From then on, it was a gradual shift from denial to acceptance.

Got my Make America Great Again hat coming in the mail. Who else is with me?

no. but yeehaw Texas. The folks in my family in Scottsdalle are supporting Cruz. They just got their bumper stickers but won't put them on their cars that the campaign sent out when the donated. The other half is leaning towards Carson.

I can totally see how Trump appeals though.

Carson's dropping pretty quick after Trump exposed him for being a complete charlatan. I think he's back to single digits in Iowa.

I don't understand the Cruz appeal. He's basically an Ayn Randian who's also a bible thumper- conservative on social issues and outspoken on it, and way more conservative on economics than anyone in the field (except maybe Paul). Not to mention he's trying to ride Trump's coattails on immigration.

Basically you should vote for him if you're a southern Baptist millionaire. Other than that, what does he offer over Trump?

Who thinks he'd actually be able to get anything done? The guy who proudly almost shut down government. He's been uniformly hated by his peers his entire professional career. Meanwhile Trump gets billion dollar deals done regularly and has basically made the entire media love him for 30+ years. Seems like an easy choice to me.

Curious.

I won't be voting for him, but his persona -- no, his mere existence -- does not consume me with rage or cold terror the way it does many people I know.

If the unthinkable happens and he wins, instead of Armageddon, I will view his ascent as the spanking America has earned, our reward for decades of blindly supporting kayfabe Democrat/Republican "leadership." But even if I smirk at the swath of wreckage he brings, even if I chuckle at the blind, impotent fury of left wing political partisans and right wing operatives, I couldn't ever bring myself to vote for him.

Is Gary Johnson running again?

:eek:

Pong I'd gladly vote for Johnson. But he simply doesn't have the gravitas or presence of Trump. Someone with Johnson's political positions and the personality of Trump would be a force to be reckoned with.

This is it my friend, a line in the sand has been drawn between SJWs and the leadership we need. Time to choose sides.

What swath of wreckage are you talking about, btw? Total chaos in the GOP? That's fine with me. The GOP has needed it for over 10 years now.

What swath of wreckage are you talking about, btw? Total chaos in the GOP? That's fine with me. The GOP has needed it over 10 years now.

Not just the GOP, though I'd welcome it.

A Trump victory would deal serious damage to tried-and-true playbook of winning political debate by simply labeling opponents as racist, sexist, homophobic, classist, etc. instead of addressing an actual issue and its potential consequences. I mean, if he proves able to not only survive, but rise in the polls by laughing off such attacks, others will surely follow. Madness ensues!

And while the media definitely benefits from Trump, a Trump victory would leave them scratching their heads for awhile, too. I still get the impression that a lot of reporters just don't get him and view Trump as a distraction from "serious politics" at best.

Agree with all of that Pong!

Dude it sounds like you're almost a Trump-supporter-in-denial as well!

I think the only thing holding you back at this point is prior allegiances and social condemnation from peers. Would it help you if you knew that other than his immigration stance and rhetoric on Muslims, Trump is probably the most liberal candidate from either party (except maybe Sanders)?

I think what disappoints me most about Trump is going he is going to be pretty ineffectual once he takes office. He's only made money on his name and most of his business ventures are poorly run and he's declared bankruptcy more than a few times. I've been giving thought to the end game and wondered who his cabinet would be. People from the Apprentice? He's stubbed a lot of toes and then people in GOP will have to go at him hard to make the candidates they actually want elected more open to the others in the GOP that are not running from Trump.

My family in Scottsdale are going with Cruz mostly because he's crazier than Trump and they like that. They are feeling that a real shake up in the GOP would be good and want that more than electing a president. I still can't figure out the Carson love from the family in GA.

Being that I'm the black sheep in the family I am not committed to vote Trump but I can't vote Hillary.

I think Trump is pretty deplorable-- I don't want him to WIN... but I'd be all for him being in the primary. In fact, If the primary was officially Cruz vs. Hilary with Sanders and Trump stealing significant votes in either direction I'd be thrilled. It would potentially break the system, which is something we truly need.

That or let Trump win and fail so hard that we break up the union and ditch the bible belt and parts of the south to being their own back asswards country.

Dude it sounds like you're almost a Trump-supporter-in-denial as well!

Not at all, but I can't lie: find him entertaining and think his trolling actually provides a valuable service in an "emperor has no clothes" sorta way. And you're right, he has to have some positions I agree with, simply by the nature of his flip-flopping over the years. But I'm not gonna vote for somebody who runs out and makes headlines after a terrorist attack, screaming about how we need a "complete shutdown" of Muslims entering the country. Just not a guy I could ever support. But I do enjoy the sideshow :)

It just blows my mind that Trump is even in this. Are the Republicans that hard up? Apparently so.

As I said before it seems to be impossible to have a viable candidate who embraces traditional American values who's not a complete whack job.

It just all seems rigged to me. I want the pill that's not blue or red.

Centrist to lightly right leaning on economics, with a few key liberal positions (and, also being a lifelong member of the moneyed class with, nonetheless, a disdain for certain members, including hedge fund managers); sensible foreign policy of limited engagements (anti Iraq War, predicted 9/11, easily the least hawkish of the GOP candidates except maybe Paul); completely uncaring about religion and social issues (and pretty obvious about it); molding a whole campaign around being anti-PC and anti-SJW (SJWs being one of the few things that actually angers me these days); having no issue with calling pathetic weak people, "losers," when it's appropriate; freely willing to admit Western Civilization is superior to the current barbaric state of Islamic nations; being highly concerned about the downfall of this nation, as well as extremely anti illegal-immigrant (something in the past I was relatively indifferent on, but have become more conservative on, year by year); not to mention, a fellow New Yorker......

I realized then, with (at the time), abject horror.. that.. wait a minute.. this man... almost entirely mirrors all my political beliefs!

A bit more liberal on economic issues, and count me in. Not sure if I'd want him to win per-se, but I'd like him to do well. Ms. Spam raises some of the more valid objections to a Trump presidency; bankruptcies and the like. But anybody who's more or less disinterested in social issues, is anti-SJW and not a raging Marxist OR Randroid is quite fine with me.

This is it my friend, a line in the sand has been drawn between SJWs and the leadership we need. Time to choose sides.

Couldn't agree more. And I'm close to the point now of believing that the correct way of dealing with SJWs was best demonstrated by Augusto Pinoche in the Santiago Stadium in late '73. Perhaps not quite, but getting there.

Guest El Chalupacabra

I have not and refuse to believe that Trump is genuinely in this race to win. I still believe this is all about promoting himself. But the fact that he is even running in the first place just shows how broken the system is, and the fact that there are no real alternatives to begin with. This cycle is even worse than 2012, and it highlights the fact that the GOP cannot field a candidate to save their own party, and the fact that Dem primary is a farce, and that Hillary Clinton has had it locked up since 20 JAN 2009.

Edit:

Furthermore, If I were ONLY rooting for the dems, yes, I would root for Trump or Cruz to get it, just for the train wreck. But I happen to believe that we all loose when either party puts as little effort, or genuinely does as badly as the GOP has done for a generation. I'm not a republican AT ALL, but I believe I don't have to buy their politics or even want to vote for A GOP candidate, to hope they put up a decent candidate. I would like to see at least someone who is a TRUE states-person, not some caricature, or a candidate who is racing to the bottom to prove how "conservative" they are.

The Dems are going to have to run Obama again to get me to vote GOP in 2016.

Policy-wise, if Clinton wins, it is effectively Obama's 3rd, and likely 4th term.

If Kasich were nominated (I'd have to move to a parallel universe for this to happen, just speaking hypothetically), I would totally vote him over Hillary. I would even consider Rubio, as much as it grates me. As it stands right now, I will not vote either party. Not Clinton and not Trump (or Ted Crazy, or pretty much any of the other GOPers, right now). I may not even bother to vote at all, which is a first time sitting out a presidential election for me. This is how disheartened I am in this country right now, and seriously speaking, I feel nothing but despair for the direction the leadership on both sides of the political spectrum have taken this nation for the last 16+ years. It depresses me, and I am at a point were I have finally given up caring about political elections, beyond the discussion for discussion's sake of who I think will or won't win.

I'm personally a statistically insignificant anomaly, in a state where my vote doesn't count. It will be a red state no matter who I vote for, or do not vote for. I am under no illusion whatsoever that my opinion or vote matters at all.

Editing the edit:

I don't understand the Cruz appeal. He's basically an Ayn Randian who's also a bible thumper

LOL! Just caught that one. Now, isn't that an oxymoron if I ever saw one? Well, here's to hoping Ted "Ayn Randian" Cruz gets lung cancer and has to go on medicare and SSDI to pay for his medical bills for the rest of his life. Better yet, Here's to hoping he goes back to Canada, his native country, and gets on their single payer program to pay for it all.

I hate the idea of Trump winning, pretty much how I feel about every candidate from either side. What a circus. Clowns everywhere. I do like Trump's lack of PC. That is all he has.

Mostly I hate how morons in the media get to select candidates for morons from Iowa, Ohio, NH, etc to choose between and then the rest of us morons are stuck with a moronic choice.

I would even consider Rubio, as much as it grates me. As it stands right now, I will not vote either party. Not Clinton and not Trump (or Ted Crazy, or pretty much any of the other GOPers, right now). I may not even bother to vote at all, which is a first time sitting out a presidential election for me. This is how disheartened I am in this country right now, and seriously speaking, I feel nothing but despair for the direction the leadership on both sides of the political spectrum have taken this nation for the last 16+ years. It depresses me, and I am at a point were I have finally given up caring about political elections, beyond the discussion for discussion's sake of who I think will or won't win.

A-Fricken Men.

Guest El Chalupacabra

Chalupa! I'm convinced this is part of his "name" branding. The side effect is that he's genuinely getting people who will vote for him. I've seen the bumper stickers.

Yeah, I am convinced this is basically the same thing as when Tiny Tim ran for mayor or Grandpa Al Lewis ran for governor of New York. Just on a bigger scale, and since he is actually getting people seriously wanting to vote for him, I am sure he is just riding the publicity wave and yucking it up along the way.

I have a friend whom is a state campaign managaer and political strategist for the Rebublicans in Nebraska. She is outright terrified of a Trump ticket. She believes voters opposed to Trump will have a strong showing at the polls while at the same time keep many liberal/ moderate Republican voters away. She isn't even that concerned about the Trump candidacy, rather that this will have a tremendous impact on Republican local and state initiatives and canidates.

A moderate Republican (ala Bush I) would be a nominee I could really get behind. Then it hit me...there is a moderate Republican on the ticket... Hillary Clinton. She is pro-big business/ Wall Street, supports fracking, fairly hawkish, and is liberal on social issues.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.