Dad: San Bernardino shooter agreed with ISIL, 'obsessed with Israel

Guest El Chalupacabra

Guest El Chalupacabra

The father, who is also named Syed Farook, told La Stampa that his son took on an overly conservative outlook on Islam and at least once expressed support for ideas promoted by Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi, the leader of the Islamic State militant group, also known as ISIL or ISIS.

"He said he shared the ideology of al-Baghdadi to create an Islamic state, and he was obsessed with Israel," the father told a reporter in an interview outside the home of this other son, Syed Raheel Farook, in Corona, Calif.

The father said he counseled his son to be patient because, he said, in time political changes in the Middle East will accomplish his desires.

"I kept telling him always: stay calm, be patient, in two years Israel will no longer exist," the elder Farook told the newspaper. "Geopolitics is changing: Russia, China, America too, nobody wants the Jews there."

Read more: http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2015/12/06/dad-san-bernardino-shooter-agreed-isil-obssessed-israel/76890108/

Wow. So two things jump out at me.

First, the family knew Farook was radicalized. They saw all these changes in him, and said and did nothing?

Second, according to the media coverage since the shooting we are told how RADICAL Farook and his wife were, and how MODERATE the rest of the family is, with the implication being we shouldn't judge the family on the basis of what Farook and wife did. In most cases that seems sound advice, if the family is in fact innocent of wrongdoing and aren't wackos. However, the FATHER said that Israel won't exist in 2 years? And of the US and other nations "no one wants the JEWS there?" Not only is that a pretty racist statement, exactly HOW is that a moderate view? On top of that,the father doesn't disagree with his son per se, just to be patient. Patient for what, exactly? While I would like to think he was just humoring his son to talk him down, I somehow doubt it. This seems like something the dad believes.

I'm trying not to read into that too much, but damn, that is pretty disturbing.....

I reckon he would've just been communicating with his son in a way to talk him down, like you say.. 'Humouring' or rather using rhetoric that the son could be persuaded by.

As for knowing your child is being radicalised and reporting them... If you had a child who was being radicalised would YOU dob them in to the authorities? Or would you try your hardest to resolve the situation in your own family? I think parental love goes a long way in wanting protect your offspring no matter what they beleive or might do. Looks like they failed in trying to resolve it however.

Guest El Chalupacabra

I reckon he would've just been communicating with his son in a way to talk him down, like you say.. 'Humouring' or rather using rhetoric that the son could be persuaded by.

As for knowing your child is being radicalised and reporting them... If you had a child who was being radicalised would YOU dob them in to the authorities? Or would you try your hardest to resolve the situation in your own family? I think parental love goes a long way in wanting protect your offspring no matter what they beleive or might do. Looks like they failed in trying to resolve it however.

Fair point, but if i had a family member i thought was about to kill people, i would turn them in. then again I question how much the family was in on this....http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/san-bernardino-shooting/fbi-looking-mother-san-bernardino-gunman-n475096

All of it comes down to Israel. That's just the way it is. They don't want them over there, and I can see their point.

How does that justify going into a facility in San Bernardino that helps mentaly challenged people, and murdering people?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.