weird podcast question

Copper

I've been kicking around the idea of doing a podcast where I interview current and retired park district employees to hear their wild stories about things they've experienced in the parks.

But... I have no idea if I will get in trouble for doing this since I am still a park district employee. I mean, I'm not going to post anything that's character defamation or anything like that but I can just see someone getting annoyed that these stories are being told and aren't being vetted (for lack of a better word) by public affairs.

I've checked our contract and there's nothing in it that prohibits this sort of thing, plus I'd be doing it on my personal time. So I feel like I'm mostly safe.

But I don't know. I think it'd be a great podcast but I also don't want to lose my job.

Any thoughts?

It sounds like you'd be fine if you checked your contract. Is there any vague shit in it about "conduct unbecoming" or "talking to tourists about behind the scenes stuff" or anything they can use to justify firing you?

If you're not doing a hatchet job you should be fine though.

Definitely talk to PR people.

I know of certain podcasters who've had to leave shows after getting jobs with certain corporations. Then again, we have a recurring guest who works for Del Rey, the publishing company that releases Star Wars books, and they're fine with him doing the show, as long as it's clear he's not there in an official capacity.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.