Your Episode 7 Hope-O-Meter

Pong Messiah

What Expectations must Episode 7 Meet in Order to Satisfy You  

25 members have voted

1. 1. Episode 7 Won't Suck If...

• it is not just a great Star Wars entry, but a great film that can stand on its own!
    • it is fun and exciting, and adds to and improves upon existing SW mythology in a way I approve of!
    • it provides an explosive and enjoyable 2+ hours of escape from the drudgery of the real world while inducing minimal eye-rolling!
    • it is better than the prequels!
    • other (explain)

The Misfits were an objectively bad band (sloppy, piss-poor production, unskilled, etc.).

WHOA WHOA WHOA THERE.

JUST WHEN I THOUGHT WE WERE FRIENDS AGAIN

But yeah, there's a scale. My friends and I make a pretty big distinction between good-bad, fun-bad, and bad-bad.

Some of us are truly happier when we're mad. My best friend and I went to Vegas a couple months ago and we hated it. It was so awesome.

There's some pretty shocking comments in this thread. Do some of you not think before you post??

Padme was just an incubator, TPM wasn't Star Warsy Enough, movies aren't there to entertain you. Something else Tank said.

I think sometimes people make statements for effect without bothering to base it on any kind of truth.

Whoa, rude dude!

Padme was just an incubator

Sorry, but I did think before I posted this. In regards to her portrayal and death in RotS, I said that Lucas "Wrote her with all the character and importance a disposable incubator." The way he wrote her (especially in RotS) was a damn dirty shame, and I stand by my statement.

movies aren't there to entertain you.

I'm not sure anybody said movies aren't there to entertain you. I do think that a good movie does more than simply entertain you, however, and I stand by my statement!

:pimp:

There's some pretty shocking comments in this thread. Do some of you not think before you post??

You do know this is nightly.net right? Some of the craziest, most outlandish things pertaining to star wars I've ever read came from here.

Naboo = Dagobah / Naboo wave theory

Anakin & Boba Fett are Palpatine's evil twin sons

Padme = Mon Mothma

Yoda was a human that Palpatine shrank and turned him green

Shmi + Darth Maul = Anakin

kitster = Boba Fett

Pong Is a kind and decent human being

You do know this is nightly.net right? Some of the craziest, most outlandish things pertaining to star wars I've ever read came from here.

Naboo = Dagobah / Naboo wave theory

Anakin & Boba Fett are Palpatine's evil twin sons

Padme = Mon Mothma

Yoda was a human that Palpatine shrank and turned him green

Shmi + Darth Maul = Anakin

kitster = Boba Fett

Pong Is a kind and decent human being

One of those statements has never been made.

Nobody's arguing that movies aren't there to entertain. Somebody IS arguing that art is purely subjective. Which is fine to say that's all you care about, but anyone who's ever studied any art form is going to disagree.

Some sort of deal exists since there was a digital release earlier this year and ANH was included. Fox isn't dumb (about Star Wars anyway)-- if they just let Disney do what they want it's a passive income stream of considerable size.

Now if they'd just recognize and do the same with the X-Men...

I see what you did there.

Nobody's arguing that movies aren't there to entertain. Somebody IS arguing that art is purely subjective. Which is fine to say that's all you care about, but anyone who's ever studied any art form is going to disagree.

Art is only worth what people will pay for it ...

Art is only worth what people will pay for it ...

Only if your concept of "worth" is measured monetarily. Art has much more value than financial worth.

It was a quote actually. Similar to "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder" which fits your description.

But I have to say that movies are primarily an entertainment medium and are very rarely considered art outside of the creators and film buffs. If we judge films purely on artistic merit then the yardstick would change dramatically.

I've already stated that the only thing that matters is the financial gain. Blade Runner is considered a work of art by many but it's unentertaining and not a great box office draw. It's worth only came through cult status.

Guest El Chalupacabra

I don't get how anyone would vote for anything other than it provides a fun 2 hours. That;s all you can expect from any movie.

Well for me, at least, rewatchability is a necessary qualification for a movie to be considered a great movie, especially when it comes to two franchises: Star Trek and Star Wars. I don't care what I am doing at the moment, if I happen to be walking by a TV and Empire Strikes Back or Wrath of Khan are playing, I have to fight the urge to sit down and watch the rest of it. That's an indication of a good movie, and that is what I hope TFA is.

Blade Runner is considered a work of art by many but it's unentertaining and not a great box office draw. It's worth only came through cult status.

UNENTERTAINING!?

Maybe if you have the attention span of a chipmunk and like to watch things explode while you eat paint chips.

People like to point out Blade Runner was a box office failure, and only succeeded by being a video cult hit. Hogwash. It failed because the studio didn't market it and dumped on as few screens as possible. It's gone on to make way more than "cult" money and is held as a gold standard by directors, production designers, writers and hard scifi fans for decades.

Doesn't apply here because 4 million Maras have decided to pay for it before there's any idea about its actual merit.

Sorry not sorry.

Wasn't an insult btw. Just efficient shorthand.

I really wish I could throw myself into any kind of Fandom this blindly. I really do. Because I was that way as a kid and I lost it somewhere along the way. And that sucks.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.