Your Episode 7 Hope-O-Meter

Pong Messiah

What Expectations must Episode 7 Meet in Order to Satisfy You  

25 members have voted

1. 1. Episode 7 Won't Suck If...

• it is not just a great Star Wars entry, but a great film that can stand on its own!
    • it is fun and exciting, and adds to and improves upon existing SW mythology in a way I approve of!
    • it provides an explosive and enjoyable 2+ hours of escape from the drudgery of the real world while inducing minimal eye-rolling!
    • it is better than the prequels!
    • other (explain)

My science is simple-- I've never met any one every anywhere that liked the PT that wasn't either A-- a member of nightly.net or B-- under 12 years old. This litmus test is taking from people in industry meetings, walking down the hall at my old job, other parents at my kid's school and other internet message boards that are pro movie but not genre-based.

Why in Gods name are we still talking about this? It's insane. I don't get why people who didn't like the movie would spend this kind of time and energy on them. Why would anyone who didn't like ROTS spend 2 and a half hour of his life watching it again more than a decade after it's release and then on top of it take the sound away which would almost certainly make him like it even less? Why not watch a movie you like for that 2 and a half hours?

I mean I love Tolkien, not to the level of devotion some people have but I've read all his stuff multiple times and I really like the LOTR movies. I went and saw the first Hobbit movie and didn't like it. I haven't watched it since and didn't see the 2nd or 3rd Hobbit movie.

It's fun to talk smack about movies that are either almost good, or should have been good. Horrible movies provide no such satisfaction. Batman and Robin is probably the worst movie I've ever seen. I'd never suggest cracking some beers and hang out watching it just to pick it apart. I'd rather give myself an enema using a fire hose.

It's fun to talk smack about movies that are either almost good, or should have been good. Horrible movies provide no such satisfaction. Batman and Robin is probably the worst movie I've ever seen. I'd never suggest cracking some beers and hang out watching it just to pick it apart. I'd rather give myself an enema using a fire hose.

Yup.

Even decades later, I love discussions of films like Star Trek: The Motion PIcture, or seasons 3.5+ of BSG (no excuse not to be great, yet missed the boat), or Being There, or One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (amazing performances while the film itself is only "almost great"). If something is clearly garbage or transcendent, there's just not as much to talk about. Film or television that comes with "What ifs" are far more tantalizing.

And omg, with the Prequels, where there were huge expectations, yet you can literally follow along with a notepad and tick off each and every asinine narrative choice, missed opportunity, line-of-dialogue-that-appears-to-physically-pain-an-actor, etc... the fun just never stops!

My science is simple-- I've never met any one every anywhere that liked the PT that wasn't either A-- a member of nightly.net or B-- under 12 years old. This litmus test is taking from people in industry meetings, walking down the hall at my old job, other parents at my kid's school and other internet message boards that are pro movie but not genre-based.

I ask myself this a lot. A LOT.

Best I can come up with is this-- for people my age, Star Wars was kinda of a life-changer. It was the first pop culture event that was also a franchise. Everything about geek movies today was established by what Star Wars did.

For me personally, it was something that sparked my imagination and ruled my childhood. It was a daily thought every day for most of my childhood. I'd go so far as to say that it's what made me interested on how movies were made and constructed. I don't know if id be working in movies were it not for Star Wars.

So for me, after all those years, a new Star Wars movie was a big deal. So when this thing that defined so much of me completely failed it bothered me. A lot. I'm not even a big fanboy, but this was something I'd been waiting on for more than half my life at that point.

I'd love to be over it-- but it really was that bad.

Why in Gods name are we still talking about this? It's insane. I don't get why people who didn't like the movie would spend this kind of time and energy on them.

Star Wars forums would be non existent if it weren't for the prequel haters. Sadly it is the hate that sparks debate and discussion. Notice I didn't use the word rationale. That goes out the window when you state an opinion and proclaim FACT.

By definition that statement is fact.

I'll never knock someone for not liking the prequels. It is your God given right to do so. There are things in every day life that many friends and family disagree on, but its usually not an issue because you know them and except that they like different things than you. It wasn't until I joined the Force.net back in '99 that I realized that it was seemingly okay for people to judge total strangers for their difference in opinions in a hateful way. "That @MaulOrder66 is a ****ing tool because doesn't see that Rey's staff is a lightsaber!" Whatever. I've gotten too old to care about that childish back and forth. I just find it funny that haters can point out why people should hate the PT, but can't see the other side as to why people like the PT. You don't have to agree, but at least respect the others opinion.

By definition that statement is fact.

I'll never knock someone for not liking the prequels. It is your God given right to do so. There are things in every day life that many friends and family disagree on, but its usually not an issue because you know them and except that they like different things than you. It wasn't until I joined the Force.net back in '99 that I realized that it was seemingly okay for people to judge total strangers for their difference in opinions in a hateful way. "That @MaulOrder66 is a ****ing tool because doesn't see that Rey's staff is a lightsaber!" Whatever. I've gotten too old to care about that childish back and forth. I just find it funny that haters can point out why people should hate the PT, but can't see the other side as to why people like the PT. You don't have to agree, but at least respect the others opinion.

I 100% agree with you. I know the difference between fact and opinion. But for some reason, that I cannot explain-- when it comes to the PT I am not reasonable. I can understand people voting for Trump easier than I can understand thinking even for a moment that there is anything resembling quality in the PT.

Then it will be the prequels versus TFA. It is our destiny. Search your feelings. You know it to be true.

I want to be proven wrong about the new movies. I'm not saying they will be bad. I just have reservations about the ability to craft a story pushing a new set of characters forward, without people getting turned off. I read the EU from the beginning and was praying for Han, Luke, and Leia to "retire". The other stories separate from the originals were okay, but led me to stop reading the EU.

I just have reservations about the ability to craft a story pushing a new set of characters forward, without people getting turned off.

I know what you mean, but I think it's very different to craft a movie with new characters than a line of books. Most people first picked up the EU because they wanted to read the continuing adventures of Luke, Han, and Leia. It got very hard for the EU to pull itself away from that. Even now, after the Literature reboot, people complain there isn't enough of the Big Three in Aftermath or Shattered Empire.

I think it will be a lot easier for new movies to distinguish themselves as far as new characters are concerned.

As far as prequels vs. TFA, I'm actually kind of looking forward to people claiming the sequels ruined their childhood.

See I never got that description. My childhood is just fine. It isn't ruined, everything Star Wars was is still there and happy.

The PT failed to return me to it-- which, btw, Super 8 proved was possible.

But the SE... THAT was childhood killing of only because Lucas made it so hard to see the originals. Thankfully there's fan edits.

Dear God, next Thursday can't come soon enough if only so people stop talking about the prequels.

People aren't going to stop talking about the Prequels.

But the SE... THAT was childhood killing of only because Lucas made it so hard to see the originals. Thankfully there's fan edits.

Agreed. Not "childhood killing" (maybe because I've never not had access to the originals?), but I consider what he did with the Special Editions to be more problematic than the Prequels. The SEs were like a hyper kid putting a pig on lipstick; Prequels were stillborn and a source of never ending fun to pick apart and complain about, but it's not like anything great was crushed by their creation (aside from expectations).

That said, I think the SEs and PT really did The Force Awakens a big favor, in that people are excited simply by the virtue of GL not being at the helm, by the promise of practical effects, no Greedo or Anakin/Padme pain, etc...

I am cautiously optimistic.

Don't get me wrong, I am excited for a new trilogy and I will likely see TFA Sunday night or a Monday matinee (it has fallen ot of the catagory of a must-see opening night). My larger concern is what the out-of-control, non-stop marketing will have on its audience. From what I understand, there will be a movie every year for the next six years. The nice thing about the prequels is that they were every three years. I don't think my enthusiasm for the new films will keep pace with my tolerence of non-stop SW marketing. I am all for the movies, but do we really need R2-D2 humidifiers?

No losing the will to live cause you're a woman married to a dickbag despite having two kids to take care of.

Yes, especially that. The (not 8 year-old) Prequel fan I told you about yesterday insists that if you watch RotS carefully, you can tell that Padme didn't so much lose the will to live as have the life sucked out of her by Sidious in order to restore Anakin/Vader. It's so obvious!

Sure ain't obvious to me. Interpreting that sequence in such a way is sure a lot of mental hoops to jump through in order to avoid admitting Lucas simply wrote her with all the character and importance a disposable incubator.

:eek:

Don't get me wrong, I am excited for a new trilogy and I will likely see TFA Sunday night or a Monday matinee (it has fallen ot of the catagory of a must-see opening night). My larger concern is what the out-of-control non-stop marketing will have on its audience. From what I understand, there will be a movie every year for the next six years. The nice thing about the prequels is that they were every three years. To me it is similar to Christmas season; special because it is a month or so each year. I don't think my enthusiasm for the new films will keep pace with my tolerence of non-stop SW marketing. I am all for the movies but do we really need R2-D2 humidifiers?

The marketing is getting out of control, and yes -- every year is probably overkill. But if the films are good, I honestly won't mind. If people want that stuff, they'll buy it, if not, they won't. And even if it did bug me, I have no right to judge, given that I still have a Sebulba drink cover.

No losing the will to live cause you're a woman married to a dickbag despite having two kids to take care of.

Yes, especially that. The (not 8 year-old) Prequel fan I told you about yesterday insists that if you watch RotS carefully, you can tell that Padme didn't so much lose the will to live as have the life sucked out of her by Sidious in order to restore Anakin/Vader. It's so obvious!

Sure ain't obvious to me. Interpreting that sequence in such a way is sure a lot of mental hoops to jump through in order to avoid admitting Lucas simply wrote her with all the character and importance a disposable incubator.

:eek:

And why do all of my replies always end up in the Quote box?!?!?!?

I have to say that is not obvious at all. However, if they had made that part of the plot point, if Sidious somehow had the power to do that, it would have been awesome.

And why do all of my replies always end up in the Quote box?!?!?!?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.