Your Episode 7 Hope-O-Meter

Pong Messiah

What Expectations must Episode 7 Meet in Order to Satisfy You  

25 members have voted

1. 1. Episode 7 Won't Suck If...

• it is not just a great Star Wars entry, but a great film that can stand on its own!
    • it is fun and exciting, and adds to and improves upon existing SW mythology in a way I approve of!
    • it provides an explosive and enjoyable 2+ hours of escape from the drudgery of the real world while inducing minimal eye-rolling!
    • it is better than the prequels!
    • other (explain)

I've struggled to write about this because it combines so many different things: what I think about the OT (as a 41 year old); what I think about the prequels; what I think about contemporary blockbusters / my current relationship with movies (I haven't become infatuated with a movie for a long time); being aware that it is impossible for me to see the world (inc. movies) in the way that younger people do, and not wanting to fall in to some sort of nostalgia or (movie) fashion trap where I end up arguing against a perception of something that it is impossible for me to fully understand (I can only relate to it).

I want TFA to be a great / classic movie that introduces a new set of heroes that lots of people (not just young people) can really connect with (combination of the top two options), but I think it is more likely to be just another good-but-not-great movie for me (option #3) and I might be a little frustrated / disappointed with that. But that is way above something that sucks, and I think anyone who hates TFA because it falls short of their (reasonable) expectations is going to struggle to justify an "it sucks".

I expect to end up feeling the same way about TFA as I do about Star Trek (2009). I usually watch most of it when it's on TV, but there's something I find unsatisfying about it that I find hard to describe (Pong got close with "uneven... that looks great... a lot of fun... lacking any sort of compelling narrative and depth..."). I think some parts of it and some of the performances / castings are incredible, but it just makes the bits I don't like even more annoying.

But maybe my dislike of some aspects of it is just me showing my age / not really knowing what teenagers and twenty-somethings expect from movies these days (not the same thing as me now and possibly not the same thing as me when I was their age). I found being underwhelmed / bored by the first Avengers movie (only saw it a year ago) quite surprising, and that sort of difference of opinion (majority of reviews were extremely positive) intrigues me: what wasn't I seeing?

That said (and I'm just using this post to thrash / think this out), I don't think any unevenness in TFA will matter as long as there's enough of what I really want (and I've seen enough to know it will be visually satisfying). I think ANH is an uneven film too (with the middle / escape-from-the-Death-Star act being a bit weak), but the amount of (fiery) death / sacrifice in the final act (and things like the charred remains of Luke's family) affected me when I first saw it and it still affects me now.

If TFA manages to affect me in that way / make me care (Star Trek did in places, but not enough to make me not think that it was a bit shallow / superficial overall) and establishes a good foundation for the next SW movie (which could be a classic or as unambitious as Into Darkness, eek), then I really ought to be satisfied.

Finding it difficult to vote. I guess I don't have any hope for this movie. Since I view it as an alternate universe which I have no interest in, I only have a passing interest in it. I suppose my one hope is that it's an entertaining film, and I will judge it the same way I judge any film, not as a Star Wars film.

I almost wore my Obi Wan lightsaber to work today I was so jacked this morning. 3 hours to go.

My wife is worried about going to an opening show. She thinks someone is going to shoot up the place. I told her it's the first showing. That any potential gunman is going to want to see Star Wars first before being gunned down by the cops. She did not find that funny.

There's some pretty shocking comments in this thread. Do some of you not think before you post??

You do know this is nightly.net right? Some of the craziest, most outlandish things pertaining to star wars I've ever read came from here.

Naboo = Dagobah / Naboo wave theory

Anakin & Boba Fett are Palpatine's evil twin sons

Padme = Mon Mothma

Yoda was a human that Palpatine shrank and turned him green

Shmi + Darth Maul = Anakin

kitster = Boba Fett

Pong Is a kind and decent human being

Yoda was a human that Palpatine shrunk and turned green?!?!?!?! LOFL!!!!!!!!!!!!! I never heard that one. :spit:

I almost wore my Obi Wan lightsaber to work today I was so jacked this morning. 3 hours to go.

My wife is worried about going to an opening show. She thinks someone is going to shoot up the place. I told her it's the first showing. That any potential gunman is going to want to see Star Wars first before being gunned down by the cops. She did not find that funny.

I think it's hilarious.

There's some pretty shocking comments in this thread. Do some of you not think before you post??

You do know this is nightly.net right? Some of the craziest, most outlandish things pertaining to star wars I've ever read came from here.

Naboo = Dagobah / Naboo wave theory

Anakin & Boba Fett are Palpatine's evil twin sons

Padme = Mon Mothma

Yoda was a human that Palpatine shrank and turned him green

Shmi + Darth Maul = Anakin

kitster = Boba Fett

Pong Is a kind and decent human being

Yoda was a human that Palpatine shrunk and turned green?!?!?!?! LOFL!!!!!!!!!!!!! I never heard that one. :spit:

He forgot the worst one of all-- that Sidious and Palpatine were clones/brothers/otherwise NOT the same person.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.