Creed

The Choc

Can't believe there wasn't something here about this yet.

Saw it this morning, it's really, really good. Really amazing how he uses nostalgia but doesn't hit you over the head with it and still manages to have the story stand completely on it's own. Also, his amazing restraint in terms of using the music really adds to it's impact when it is used. Really tremendous movie.

Boxing and boxing films are uncomfortably personal for me, so I'm just gonna wait for the small screen, but I am definitely interested. Glad it exceeded your expectations!

So for the good films in the Rocky franchise, we have: Rocky (classic underdog), Rocky IV (guilty pleasure), Rocky Balboa (shaddup, it was actually pretty good!), and now Creed?

Woo hooo! The franchise is finally back over .500!!!

It's just really good. Seems like everything was handled with thought and care. Adonis' motivations and desire to be a boxer seem legit. The confluence of events that lead to him getting a title match so fast are believable, it not 100% realistic. Kinda like the first Rocky. His opponent is presented in a way that he is a bad guy but not cartoonish in any way. The final match is shot in a way that to me seemed like a cross between the overly dramatic early movies and the television style of Balboa.

If it wasn't for all the long lineage of the Rocky movies this would seriously get Oscar consideration, and who knows with 10 films nominated now it still may. Stallone and Jordan are excellent.

Boxing and boxing films are uncomfortably personal for me, so I'm just gonna wait for the small screen, but I am definitely interested. Glad it exceeded your expectations!

So for the good films in the Rocky franchise, we have: Rocky (classic underdog), Rocky IV (guilty pleasure), Rocky Balboa (shaddup, it was actually pretty good!), and now Creed?

I pity the fool who doesn't love Rocky III.

Hulk Hogan? Mr. T? Eye of the Tiger? How is Rocky IV a guilty pleasure over that? It's like the Iron Eagle of boxing movies.

I pity the fool who doesn't love Rocky III.

Hulk Hogan? Mr. T? Eye of the Tiger? How is Rocky IV a guilty pleasure over that? It's like the Iron Eagle of boxing movies.

Haha, good question.

For me, it's the experience as an audience member -- the experience of feeling like I'm laughing along with a movie, rather than being laughed at by it.

Rocky III was like the pupal stage of the franchise as it finally shed its dramatic roots for sheer idiotic (but entertaining) bombast. In other words, it was moronic and insulting, yet also seemed to take itself seriously too often. Rocky IV had none of that pretense: it just was what it was, and I could appreciate it its honesty.

The biggest problem with III is that the movie is about Apollo teaching Rocky to box, rather than just be a puncher. That's really alot of the plot. Then in the final fight Rocky uses the strategy of standing there and allowing himself to get hit so that Land would punch himself out.

One of the coolest things about this movie is we find out who won that third private fight between Rocky and Apollo that happened at the close of III.

Plus not liking Rocky II when it has the greatest moment in Rocky history, when Adrian wakes from her coma and tells Rocky what he can do for her is win, followed by Mickey yelling "what are we waiting for" and BAM!!! the Rocky theme and a training montage, is ridiculous.

I love the Rocky series, but I don't have an interest in seeing Creed. On the surface it seems like an attempt to cash in on a quick and easy paycheck by wrapping the Rocky name around a possibly mediocre-to-good boxing story. Im aware I could be wrong on that, because I won't pay to see it. If I want to watch a boxing movie, I'd just watch Rocky I or II again, because i'd bet my house that Creed won't be as awesome as those.

Hey, I also like The Phantom Menace best of the prequels. :eek:

I'm interested to know why that is, actually. No judgement, because there's no clear-cut "good" one...I've just never heard anyone say THAT one was there favorite.

Also interested, but I share the opinion. I will post reasons later.

Don't want to derail the thread too much, DANA-kin, but off the top of my head:

• Pacing and style (not design) felt the most like Star Wars to me
  • Doesn't matter how dumb the plot is or how hokey the dialogue: Liam Neeson can bring a certain human gravity to it. No idea how, he just does.
  • In retrospect, had the best color scheme of the prequels.
  • "Duel of the Fates" is a great theme, and its introduction with actual dueling is magnificent. Aside from Maul's too-cheesy-to-believe death, it is by far the best laser-swording in the series.
  • While it failed on many counts, TPM at least felt like it was trying to be fun, rather than the reactionary-and-too-desperate-to-nod-and-tie-up-loose-ends AotC and RotS.
  • Again, comparing it to AotC and RotS: I can watch TPM over and over and enjoy it, whereas I liked AotC and RotS much better upon initial viewing, but grew bored with them on repeat viewings.

• 1 month later...

So I'm admittedly late to the party here, but I just saw Creed. I dare say I loved it just as much as the original, if not more. Michael B Jordan not only resembled Apollo, but performed well, and trimmed up very well to look like a legit boxing champ. Stalone however...this is the best thing I've ever seen him do. Period. And that's that. He was great in Rocky I. He was better here.

Third best movie of 2015, which doesn't sound too impressive, but considering it was outclassed by none other than an AWESOME new star wars movie, well the competition is extremely tough (to say the least). True to classic Rocky form, this movie was viewed as an underdog, went the distance, and proved itself worthy of greatness in it's own right, and not just another installment in a franchise. In case you were wondering, the second best movie of the year was The Martian.

Final Grade: A

My ranking of the rest of the Rocky franchise:

Rocky-You've seen it. Classic awesomeness. Lowlife becomes hometown hero, surpasses the roadblocks of life through self-realization, and tons of hard work. The quintessential underdog story.

final Grade: A

Rocky 2-wait...I thought he said no rematch? Of course there would be! Decent enough movie, with the benefit of the ending we were rooting for in the first one.

Final grade: B

Rocky 3- silly movie, But fun. What it lacks it makes up for with Hulk Hogan and Mr. T. Why can't Rocky learn to stop leading with his face? Creed trains Rocky, teaches him speed and defense...doesn't bring these new tools to the ring...but beats Lang anyways.

Final Grade: C+

Rocky 4-Seemingly unbeatable Russian boxer drags Balboa out of retirement and into the ring, and is severely nerfed down to Rocky's level because the script says Rocky has to win in the end. The invincibility potions between rounds must have worked, because without those he would have been killed several times over. Madness. But despite all this, the snow training montage was very cool and the movie was still fun though, eh comrade?

Final Grade: C+

Rocky 5- the REAL great white hope was in this one! Tommy Morrison! So was Don King...sort of. Rocky's struggles to find balance between family and his newfound protege...who struggles with...not being a total asshat. The final showdown is NOT in a boxing ring, but in the middle of the street. Seriously? It wasn't even entertaining. Very little take-away from this movie, if any.

Final Grade: D

Rocky Balboa-never saw this one, so I obviously can't grade it. I have heard Rocky's motivational speech given to his son though, and it's pure awesome.

Guest El Chalupacabra

If I can change, and if you can change, then we all can change.......and admit that Rocky III is the best.

Don't be a meatball. Not yet.

Amen to that!

For me it's

Rocky 3: The one with Mr. T. Anything else needs to be said? It was actually the first one I saw, so I do have some nostalgia-colored glasses when it comes to this one. Still love it, despite it being a very 80s schlock movie. But it still has heart to it, and explains how Rocky retained his title in a realistic way: Mickey set up has beens for Rocky to fight. Really loved Carl Weathers in it, too.

Rocky 1: the first, and dramatically still the best. Nostalgia for 3 is the only reason I rank it above the original.

Rocky Balboa (almost tied with 1): that movie had a lot of heart, and really surprised me how Stallone took an old franchise and character that became a parody of itself, and made it fresh again. Very much the same thing he did with the latest Rambo movie.

This is where we have a large drop off.

Rocky 2: it's the slow parts that really hurt this movie, but overall a good one, but pales to the original.

Rocky 5: The one where it's apparent they are just trying to cash in, but until Rocky Balboa, we assumed this was the last one, and until it wasn't, seemed a nice send off.

Rocky 4: I must break you! This one really was godawful.

Haven't seen Creed yet, but I've had a couple friends see it and say they were pleasantly surprised how good it was, and I don't doubt that it is good (their taste is similar to mine in a lot of movies). Not sure I will catch it in the theaters, but definitely will netflix it. If I enjoy it at least as much as Rocky Balboa, I will be happy.

Outside of Rocky 5, they've all got their own brand of charm and I wouldn't bag on anyone that says they like them. I could re-watch any of them today and call it a good way to kill two hours. Even 3 and 4 with their falling to formula and cheese gave Rocky HIGHLY memorable opponents to fight against.

The Marvel Cinematic Universe wishes it had antagonists that would stand the test of time like Ivan Drago and Clubber Lang.

To give my own grades:

Rocky: A

Rocky 2: B-

Rocky 3: C+

Rocky 4: C-

Rocky 5: F (don't hate the concept, but it just didn't work on any level)

Rocky Balboa: B-

Creed: B+

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.