Random predictions for ep7 and beyond *spoilers?*

DANA-kin Skywalker

Guest El Chalupacabra

General Hux. Snoke. Captain Plasma.

I ready really need to go into this not knowing any character names.

I hear ya!

Phasma kind of got on my nerves a bit at first, but has grown on me. I suppose the latin word for phantom or apparition is kind of cool. The captain part is what makes it a little hokey.

General Hux I guess is akin to Huckster? Still kinda dumb.

And Snoke kind of speaks for itself.

Because Star Wars is about archetypes. Anakin was the fallen hero archetype. Anakin is Lancelot. Luke is the pure hero. He's Galahad. If you rewrite the story to make Galahad turn evil just because "Dude, it'll be awesome bro!" then you're not telling anything remotely like the story, you don't understand the story at all, and you're not offering anything remotely interesting.

We have a winner.

The modern day overuse of hero with a dark side and/or anti-hero is predictable..tired. There's a reason in the Marvel movies, Tony Stark is not appealing at all. His act is not cool, or "more real" because he's morally bankrupt (no matter what's happening around him). He's an asshole, but he's part of the trend triggered by the belief that concludes "its real / a story challenge" if the hero is turned evil, or is just a piece of crap. That's not anything SW levels of audiences want to follow.

Since I wasn't spoiled by the soundtrack (who the hell looks at soundtrack titles before seeing a movie?)

Obsessed Star Wars nerds trying to get the jump on every plot point instead of just walking into the theater and letting it roll. A few probably bought TPM's soundtrack just for the sake of hearing how new SW music was composed, but others were defiinitely trying to shake meaning out every line on the CD insert.

I didn't say buying a recipe before you MAKE the meal I said before you EAT the meal. You've eaten meatloaf at least once in your life before buying a meatloaf recipe.

Anyway, just a metaphor obviously. I think Star Wars is probably the only movies where people would buy the soundtrack BEFORE watching the movies because they're going to Mara out and know they'll love the movie and music before seeing it.

Probably the only one that uses classical music. I mean if a movive has a soundtrack with a huge hit single that is released before the movie comes out, people will buy it. Duel of the Fates was released with a video to MTV. People probably wanted to listen to it. They figured that whoever put the soundtrack together would be smart enough to not include any huge spoilers on the movie.

In general I agree with you, I love film scores but only listen to ones of movies I've seen. I only grant exceptions and buy the score in advance for something like Star Wars or lord of the rings or another franchise I've already loved all the previous scores of. But spend 5 minutes in any film score fandom forum and you'll see that's the exception--they'll buy scores just based on composer more often than not.

Plus, in the case we're discussing, it was huge. It wasn't hidden in a CD section, it was an end cap. I didn't look at the track list, but I remember seeing a huge display at Target.

And for the recipes: there's also a niche group there, that my wife is part of. She gets and makes recipes all the time for stuff she's never eaten. And I don't just mean she's never had that version, I mean stuff she's never eaten. She's calmed down on it more recently, since we have a kid who eats real food now.

Back to the saber battles, I like the saber fights in both trilogies but I think the only time where it really seemed like one character was really trying to kill another was when Luke attacks Vader in Jedi. I realize Vader did kill Kenobi, but that fight is just two guys kinda fiddling with each other. And I realize that Vader probably wasn't really trying to kill Luke in their fights, but rather trap him. But still, watching the fights I never got the sense that the guys were really in a fight for their lives.

That's what I hope this trilogy adds to the mix. I hope I watch and think "geez, these guys are really going at it." Judging by the quick shot of Ren taking a swipe at Finn it seems like that may be the case.

Anyway, just a metaphor obviously. I think Star Wars is probably the only movies where people would buy the soundtrack BEFORE watching the movies because they're going to Mara out and know they'll love the movie and music before seeing it.

This is true; some are already telling themselves TFA promises to be the greatest thing since breathing. I recall some doing the same after TPM preview on 60 Minutes in 1999. I think we know how that worked out.

Probably the only one that uses classical music. I mean if a movive has a soundtrack with a huge hit single that is released before the movie comes out, people will buy it. Duel of the Fates was released with a video to MTV. People probably wanted to listen to it. They figured that whoever put the soundtrack together would be smart enough to not include any huge spoilers on the movie.

ROTJ's Lapti Nek also had a MTV video, so you could say that was LFL (and/or RSO) trying to milk what they believed to be "hot" without any cause to think so.

To be fair, I think John Williams is the reason the majority of people would listen to the soundtrack before the movie comes out. If this was another composer, I doubt there would be the hype - there would still be some, sure, but we rarely hear new Williams scores these days so it's almost an event in itself. The soundtrack to Star Wars has been the only real consistent thing throughout all the movies so far - it's the only part of the prequels that is on par with the original.

This is true; some are already telling themselves TFA promises to be the greatest thing since breathing. I recall some doing the same after TPM preview on 60 Minutes in 1999. I think we know how that worked out.

ROTJ's Lapti Nek also had a MTV video, so you could say that was LFL (and/or RSO) trying to milk what they believed to be "hot" without any cause to think so.
Duel of the Fates was a promotional win for Fox and Lucasfilm. It got MTV viewers(teens and college aged kids) interested in Star Wars. It was also a better trailer for the movie than the actual trailer because you didn't have to go to the theater. Plus DSL and broadband speeds weren't what they are now. So watching it online wasn't a great option.

Though no one has mentioned this, people buy soundtracks. If they didn't they wouldn't make them.

You're looking at it from a movie stand point. Look at it from a music standpoint. Before an album is released a single and more often than not a video is released as well to stir up interest. Duel of the Fates did that and sold TPM soundtrack. And that came out 2 weeks before the movie didn't it?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.