Jessica Jones

ShadowDog

I didn't mean you guys! I meant people I know personally. Besides, I'm here for the discussion, everyone here has been cool with about not ruining anything.

I liked the last ep, 8. and how she is trying to

get Kilgrave to do good things with his ability

. It's like even though he totally mistreated her and has done horrible things to people she still tries to find that saving grace.

• 2 weeks later...

Haven't read the thread yet. Just popping in for a placeholder post:

Avoided the series so far, because I have a toxic aversion to Krysten Ritter. Just don't like her face for no good reason, and was not sure I could deal with 13 episodes knowing there's no chance she gets killed off like in Breaking Bad. It's kinda like John de Lancie: all my friends would gush about the Q episodes of Star Trek: TNG, while I fought the urge to change the channel whenever he came on screen, fought the urge to throw a shoe at the TV whenever he opened his mouth. But I eventually grew to like him, and I loved DareDevil for what it was, so why not give Jessica Jones a shot?

3 Episodes in.

The pace is slow, but it's enjoyable and there are some big pieces in play; at this point, the show needs to either come together and start making the threads pay off bigtime (and I think it can), or end up one of those shows like Heroes (season 1), where it's good, but leaves you with the feeling that the sum of the parts is greater than the whole.

Still overall pleased and pretty hopeful.

Finished it the other night!

I figured Kilgrave would get it in the end, considering they powered him up enough that he could control people over phones/radio/television. He could have taken on the entire Avengers team!

Loved the appearance of Claire from DD! I was thinking that Matt might even show up at some point since she was working with lawyer Trinity so much. Oh well, we know they'll meet in Defenders!

Also nice that it looks like they're setting up Nuke to be a villain at some point. Maybe he'll be a baddie for the Defenders to take on? Or just DD, I guess if they want to keep it like the comics.

Pretty good stuff. I think once I digest it a bit, I'll like it as much as Daredevil; it doesn't have the same immediate appeal or "Holy crap, that was well-choreographed!" wow factor, but works on a deeper psychological, more interpersonal level.

David Tennant stole the show. Great villain without trying to take over the world. Best of all, Kilgrave was so irredeemably slimy and amoral, yet even as I hated him, it was impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for the creature; in a way, he is trapped and infantalized by his powers, just as his victims are. Not that that makes his actions justifiable -- but it does make him a far more interesting and nuanced bad guy than he could have been.

The only thing that sucked about it was the constant Krysten Witter frustrated/worried face. I don't hate her like you do but she got on my nerves quick.

The series was totally carried by Killgrave. Going forward I think Jessica is better off as a side character in the Defenders.

This show further cements my belief that it's all about the bad guy. I thought the same with Daredevil, as I didn't really get into it until Kingpin Donofrio showed up.

I wouldn't say Killgrave carried the series. He was a huge part of its appeal and the big bad ball that kept it rolling, but if it we saw too much more of him, I'd surely like him and the series less. Since everybody is talking Star Wars now, I'd say he's kind of like Vader in the first two movies. He didn't carry those films, but his presence helped push what would have been a good and super fun space opera/action adventure into the realm of greatness.

I would have finished Jessica Jones without Kilgrave (i.e. a more generic big bad), but he definitely helped push it from "good" to "pretty damn good."

And even without him, I'd say it was all around very solid. If I absolutely must pick on something, it'd be the Nuke Simpson storyline. I get why it was included, but it felt shoehorned and distracting. But even that had some good moments.

Since I'd never even heard of the character I was very intrigued by his character arc. Victim you think is a one shot character sticks around. That was interesting. Then he joins the Scooby gang and that was more interesting. Then he started to go dark and that was really interesting. Then he crossed the moral event horizon and that was incredible.

I didn't see any of this coming so it was all awesome.

And ... bottom line? He was right all along. Jessica should have listened to him.

And ... bottom line? He was right all along. Jessica should have listened to him.

That's one thing I liked about this show and Jessica in particular! It wasn't some moral code or or keeping to a higher standard that was keeping her from offing Kilgrave. She was only holding off so that she could clear Hopes name.

Isn't picking a harder path because you want to keep an innocent person from losing her entire life behind bars a higher moral standard of some sort?

While Simpson was right that killing Kilgrave as ultimately the only way, I thought it was a cool character choice to have JJ willing to go so far in order to remedy an injustice. Of course, it didn't matter in the end, but it's the thought that counts, right?

idk if you are being sarcastic with your obviousness there, but I was definitely drawn further into the show by the lengths JJ was willing to go.

An antihero (e.g. Dr. House) would go to such great lengths because his ego demands it as the smartest/strongest person in the room -- good happens, but it's all about his ego.

A troubled hero (e.g. re-imagined Starbuck) would go to such great lengths because she hates/doesn't value herself, and so much better to burn out in a blaze of glory than fade away.

Jessica Jones is something of an antihero (not interested in her powers or being a do-gooder), and definitely troubled (a host of PTSD goblins), but when Hope shows up, we get a kind of moral purity, a need for justice that is larger than herself, and just as intense as what you'd expect from squeaky-clean icons like Superman or Captain America. Just a damn effective juxtaposition, IMO.

I think she is a do-gooder, but she doesn't really know or want to accept it! Like when she defended Patsy from her mom when they were kids, she'll help when she sees a person in need.

And like the last scene when Malcolm answered, I think he knew deep down she does want to help, otherwise she wouldn't have bothered with him or Hope.

Ok I'll give it 2 hours of my life. If I'm not hooked I'm out.

update: well perhaps calling it awful was a little harsh cause it's not awful at all, but I'm still not hooked. It's not that it's a bad show, but I just don't find it that interesting story wise or character wise. For some reason it feels kinda charmed-ey or some such melodrama. Like I'm half expecting Sarah Michelle Gellar to pop up somewhere or that lady from Party of Five. Same vibe. I guess that's the best way I can explain it.

• 6 years later...

Just started this one this week with the husband and big kid. (Finished DDS1 and LOVED it!) 

I feel like at some point in the past 6-7 years I would have gotten wind that this wasn't something I should necessarily let my 13.5 year-old watch, but here we are 6 episodes in and no turning back now. 

Does the sexual content get "worse"? Overall we're a sex positive family, but we've avoided a lot of sexual content in the past because we don't want to instill the Hollywood version of sex before he's old enough to appreciate that reality isn't anywhere close. 

I think the first few episodes have the booty calls, literally, but after that I don’t recall a lot of that. Been a long time since I watched though. It becomes pretty mind f-ing by the end though, by nature of the villain’s power set.

If y’all haven’t seen Tennant as the Tenth Doctor, this might ruin his run in Doctor Who for you. Some people have a hard time seeing an actor as anything other than they’ve first seen them as, and His Purple Man is one of the better and most evil MCU villains. It’s a stark contrast from his boyish and deeply compassionate Doctor.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.