Why Doesn't Nighty Care About Ronda Rousey Getting KTFO?

Pong Messiah

I care. It was truly insane. I didn't think she'd ever lose.

I was so sure of the outcome, I didn't even pay attention until everybody started freaking out. The reactions have been crazy. Some disappointment, but also a lot of people dancing on Rousey's grave. If there is a rematch, it's gonna make huge money.
Also, while Holm was a huge underdog, it sure didn't look like an upset -- Holm didn't just get a lucky shot or two, she dominated. While there were a lot of outside factors that may have contributed to Rousey being off her game, I'm not sure I'd bet on her in a rematch.

Barbaric!

Also broken jaws take a year to heal? ****.

Rousey's jaw is not broken.

My father is also convinced this is rigged. And usually I'd be open to that through my cynicism.

But I just don't believe a person as arrogant as Rhonda would EVER willingly give up her invincable mystique. Ever. I'd be more likely to believe somebody drugged her to slow her down or something, but no ****ing way she lays down intentionally for no amount of money.

She had a concussion I'm betting. That first punch she took to the head had her constantly shaking the cobwebs out. When you see her eyes side open you know she is trying to focus. Her strategy didn't work because Holm's reach and defense prevented it. The kick to the head sealed it.

UFC is as rigged as WWE. At least wrestling admits it.

OMG Krawlie! Why didn't you run to Vegas with this Very Important Information before the fight, before the books were "crushed"? You monster.

My father is also convinced this is rigged. And usually I'd be open to that through my cynicism.

But I just don't believe a person as arrogant as Rhonda would EVER willingly give up her invincable mystique. Ever. I'd be more likely to believe somebody drugged her to slow her down or something, but no ****ing way she lays down intentionally for no amount of money.

Well, at least in theory, it's a lot easier to rig individual contests (e.g. tennis, boxing, wrestling), since you are dealing with fewer egos, views on morality, flapping lips, etc.

And because there have been some known fixed matches (and many more that are suspected to have been fixed), I think it's normal to question an underdog victory nobody expected, especially one where lots and lots of people stand to make money from betting and rematch potential.

In fights, in particular, I think there is a tendency to do that. People who don't understand martial arts will see two opponents feeling each other out early in a match (which can look scripted), and start bleating about how so-and-so is pulling their punches or ignoring easy openings, etc. Or maybe somebody gets laid out from a punch or kick that doesn't look as devastating as it was, and people assume the fighter is just napping-for-dollars.

I had no particular interest in this, but looking at some of the photos of the bout... holy crap, the look of terror in Rousey's eyes.

Yeah, some brutal shots. And I'd surely be terrified if somebody knocked me on my ass by kicking me in the neck, too.

:eek:

That's all fine Pongy but watch one interview of Rhonda and I dare you to walk away believing that arrogant ass would EVER voluntarily give up her invincible image. With this specific person with this specific personality ... I'll never believe it. For no amount of money.

Oh, I'm not suggesting she threw the fight, SD. Didn't mean to sound like I was, if it came off like that. I'm just trying to see/explain how other people might suspect fixes due to precedent, lack of background, bad angles, etc.

Brock Lesnar said it great. She is a great athlete and fighter in a division that is very weak so she looks quite dominant. Based on what I read prefight, this was her first fight against someone that is a legitimate fighter. I watched the fight on a stream online and it was apparent early on Rousey was over matched and confused.

I never understood the Rousey fanbase or why she got so much attention.

Brock Lesnar said it great. She is a great athlete and fighter in a division that is very weak so she looks quite dominant. Based on what I read prefight, this was her first fight against someone that is a legitimate fighter. I watched the fight on a stream online and it was apparent early on Rousey was over matched and confused.

I never understood the Rousey fanbase or why she got so much attention.

I think it's just that she is a larger than life character: runs her mouth and has opinions, looks good in a swimsuit, appears in lots of media outside of fighting, etc...

That, and there's just not much competition. Who else are casual/non-fans gonna talk about?

Most of the more colorful/entertaining fighters out there right now are like 5'4" 120lb boxer dudes who don't speak English, so Americans don't care about them. Conor McGregor is pretty funny in interviews, but again, he's 5'9" and 145 lbs -- unless there is a really tough class with multiple unique talents (e.g. Duran, Hagler, Hearns, Leonard), it's just rare that a non heavyweight male fighter captures American imaginations.

Laili Ali took offense to the talk of Rousey taking on a boxer. She pointed out that Rousey ate too many punches, even in a short match, and had poor footwork as a striker.

Rousey got a big dose of reality, when she got a world class beating by a world class boxer.

http://m.thepostgame.com/blog/daily-take/201509/laila-ali-ronda-rousey-serena-williams-boxing-mma-ufc-muhammad-ali-us-open

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.