Texas family teaches kids about the law concerning homeschooling and the rapture.

Ms. Spam

El Oh El. This may be concerning people in Texas who homeschool - looking at you Cerina. This couple with 9 - NINE - kids refuses to turn over their curriculum concerning what they teach their kids. Apparently they believe the rapture is imminent and the kids are not going to need math or reading skills in heaven. *facepalm* So instead they want to take this court instead of even naming what curriculum they teach their kids. El Paso's schools really are not that bad. There's way worse in Texas that these kids could go to.

http://www.dallasnews.com/news/education/headlines/20151101-texas-supreme-court-gets-home-school-case.ece

AUSTIN — Laura McIntyre began educating her nine children more than a decade ago inside a vacant office at an El Paso motorcycle dealership she ran with her husband and other relatives.

Now the family is embroiled in a legal battle the Texas Supreme Court hears Monday that could have broad implications on the nation’s booming home-school ranks. The McIntyres are accused of failing to teach their children educational basics because they were waiting to be transported to heaven with the second coming of Jesus Christ.
This has implications for over 300,000 homeschoolers in Texas because some stupid woman in El Paso won't provide any instructional materials or curriculum which could lead to people like Cerina handing over her program for teaching her kids to local school districts for review.
On one hand I wanna laugh. I mean the rapture is not even in the Bible beyond some esoteric stuff said in Revelation to my knowledge. The other hand thinks this is just silliness. Almost all their nine kids are grown and are out struggling in the cold hard world.

Ugh. We've been talking about this for a few days now. It's really scary for most of us. Texas is one of the best places to homeschool in the US. We have much more freedom here than elsewhere, and it pains me that a few radical morons could ruin that for all of us.

There are crazies everywhere. Limiting the rest of us is not going to change that.The good thing is, people like this are very rare. Every homeschooling family I know is VERY serious about their responsibility to educate. In fact, the vast majority of them chose to homeschool because it provides MORE opportunity for real learning than your typical school environment.

My sincere hope is that the court will see through this BS. The law in Texas already stipulates that parents must teach a bona fide curriculum in visual form. If they haven't done that, then clearly they're in violation. It has nothing to do with anyone else in Texas.

Apparently, that's not true. The testimony the school gave yesterday said that she tested at grade level and was assimilating well.

There's nothing new about a home schooled student wanting to go to public school. I know several families right now with children in public school while their siblings are home schooled. Some of these kids are doing well. Some of them are probably going to be pulled back out soon. Kids are usually going to want something different for their lives. So it's not really a big surprise that a 17 year old ran away to get something different.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.