New Star Trek Series 2017

Stevil

*says something negative about Kurtzman, expresses minor relief to see he's not the writer*

If he's EPing that means he's the showrunner-- which means he's the head writer and will touch every aspect of the how HENCE CRYING MYSELF TO SLEEP

I disagree SD.

I think we're in the golden age of television and there really hasn't been such a rich vein of great television shows in like ever. The list is endless... TWD, GoT, Dexter, The Shield, Sons of Anarchy, 24, Lost, Breaking Bad... just tons of amazing shows that have raised the bar in terms of what we expect. The series just being better than Enterprise really isn't going to cut it.

Could you really go back to the old episodic formula of Star Trek?

I think they really have to raise the bar and bring in talented writers to forge relationships and write new stories. Just going from system to system and Nebulae to Black Hole isn't going to cut it in this generation. It needs to be meaningful , have drama and suspense. Be more complex in terms of storytelling.

I'd given this thought before today's announcement and I'd love to See a Star Trek done with some of the amazing writers we have these days on board.

*says something negative about Kurtzman, expresses minor relief to see he's not the writer*

If he's EPing that means he's the showrunner-- which means he's the head writer and will touch every aspect of the how HENCE CRYING MYSELF TO SLEEP
i red this morning that he didn't want writing duties and was actively looking for somebody to pass the head writer job off to... Not that he won't be a huge force in shaping the show, ofc (hence only minor relief).

Guest El Chalupacabra

http://www.cp24.com/mobile/entertainment-news/new-star-trek-series-to-air-on-cbs-streaming-service-1.2638644

So it's gonna be on a premium service and run by Alex Kurtzman. Anyone excited??

Alex Kurtzman helped bring us the crap fest that was STID. So, no, I am not excited. I'm sort of skeptical, but hopeful at the same time. I have a feeling it will be set ion the Abramsverse, somehow. If they are going to to this, I hope they don't remake any of the other franchises, have a completely new crew and ship, and only vaguely connect it to the Abramsverse movies.

I wonder how much continuity and plot holes will play a big part??

Well, the one saving grace is if they stick to the Abramsverse, which I think they will, the only continuity they can eff up are the two Abrams movies, and Enterprise. That's assuming this isn't a second reboot, which is even easier not to screw up continuity.

Is this classic time line or Abrams time line i don't want to read

I think since Kurtzman is involved, it is almost certainly the Abrams timeline.

i red this morning that he didn't want writing duties and was actively looking for somebody to pass the head writer job off to... Not that he won't be a huge force in shaping the show, ofc (hence only minor relief).

That is encouraging, but me hoping they would bring back Ira Behr, Manny Koto, or Ronald D Moore has no chance of happening.

I tried to recommend you to Kurtzman on Twitter but neither of you are on it

I'm on it...

Honestly, I'm trying to think what a Star Trek show could give us that's new. We've come so far from the old model, and the new model is so polarizing...

It's a difficult one.

I just hope they're not banking on there being a few years since the last series and people want more of the same. The landscape has changed so much. We really are in the era of the TV series and in order to make a big impact on a premium service it really has to deliver.

That would be great too--

I'm just saying I don't know that a cast of ethnically diverse super-PC highly morally superior people sitting in a round room with lots of blinking lights tackling stories that and thinly veiled parables for society's ills is something that works.

Between Battlestar Galactica, Nu Trek going all action, Star Wars making a comeback and the ragtag dirtiness of GOTG being the biggest space thing in the box office (until Star Wars) I don't see how people would find what made Star Trek once unique interesting.

Between Battlestar Galactica, Nu Trek going all action, Star Wars making a comeback and the ragtag dirtiness of GOTG being the biggest space thing in the box office (until Star Wars) I don't see how people would find what made Star Trek once unique interesting.

I'd settle for it simply returning to its roots as The Science Fiction Franchise that Is Fun and (Generally) Optimistic About Humanity and Sometimes Makes You Think -- though come to think of it, being that would make it unique in today's market.

ShadowDog is sooo right about exploration. If the new series can provide me with an occasional sense of awe at discovering something cool and interesting "out there," I'd definitely give it a chance!

That would be aces. Really, my main worry is that they've avoided TV thus far saying they didn't want to muddy the brand from the new films. So there's no doubt this will be the same era/universe/timeline as the current movies.

But hey-- Star Trek has proved they can give us a random ship/crew we've never heard of before and we will love it... unless it's Voyager.

Guest El Chalupacabra

I'd settle for it simply returning to its roots as The Science Fiction Franchise that Is Fun and (Generally) Optimistic About Humanity and Sometimes Makes You Think -- though come to think of it, being that would make it unique in today's market.

ShadowDog is sooo right about exploration. If the new series can provide me with an occasional sense of awe at discovering something cool and interesting "out there," I'd definitely give it a chance!

Actual exploration plus well developed characters abd story arcs is totally the way to go. Episodic Trek will be the death knell of this show. That is the biggest problem with watching older trek shows these daysL everything is resolved by the end of the episode. They need to have a season or multi season long story line.

That would be aces. Really, my main worry is that they've avoided TV thus far saying they didn't want to muddy the brand from the new films. So there's no doubt this will be the same era/universe/timeline as the current movies.

But hey-- Star Trek has proved they can give us a random ship/crew we've never heard of before and we will love it... unless it's Voyager.

Yeah that makes me wonder why the reversal. IS it the rise of Fan-made and kickstarter non profit Trek films? One upcoming Star Trek fan film called Axanar looks like it will be pretty awesome. Or, is it that Star Trek (1)3 is the final Trek film in the Abrams verse?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.