Most annoying business-speak?

I'd love to see a course in high school that teaches people how to act/express themselves in public and on social media. I think it's time. Something of a cross between an advanced English class, public speaking and diplomacy. Teach people how to correctly spell words and how to correctly use internet-speak. Record them so they can see and hear what they look and sound like to others. Teach them basic manners. Am I asking too much?

We had a class sophomore year of high school as part of the English curriculum: Oral Communication. It was all about speaking and preparing for speeches and oral debate. It was a really fun class.

I had a professor who said, "nyah" all the time as his nervous time filler. Guy was so damn nice, but it was really annoying. To keep ourselves entertained and awake during his 8 AM Material Science class, we'd keep a nyah tally. One of my favorite professors I ever had, but I will never forget those nyahs.

My students claim they kept a tally. I found the number they gave me pretty hard to believe even for an 80 minute class. I am pretty sure they included all of the times I was saying "right" for more legitimate reasons, which happened quite a few times at certain points of the semester.

In one of my graduate classes, we kept a tally of the number of times the professor said "clearly." It wasn't so much a filler as it was a way of getting away with not explaining certain parts of a proof or derivation.

• 2 weeks later...

I work at Panera Bread in Prescott AZ. All the recent hires had to attend the obligatory meeting with instructional videos that employers everywhere feel compelled to inflict upon their hapless workers. One of them included the word "breaducation." I think the word "Ngngngngnggg" might have escaped my lips, but I don't think the boss heard.

I told my boss yesterday that the next time he has to make a presentation, he should completely deadpan "Everything is awesome. Everything is cool when you're part of a team" and see who notices.

I think he might actually do it sometime.

I might have to try that sometime when I assign a group project.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.