TFA in 2D, 3D, or IMAX 3D?

Destiny Skywalker

How do you plan on seeing TFA?

I have some lingering vision issues so my brain really hates 3D. I always hear that it's getting better, but I usually end up with a headache of some sort by the end of a 3D movie, and those glasses do not work well for me (daughter of an optometrist, so help me, I'm a glasses snob). But I REALLY want to see it in IMAX. Le sigh.

Until they recognize people who wear glasses can't enjoy 3D, EFF THREEEE DEEE

I found some clips on Amazon. I'm debating it, $12 might be worth a try.

I think the real issue is that I really want to see it in IMAX 2D, but as Seth said...

EFF THREEEE DEEE

Glad to hear I'm not the only one who hates 3D. My husband is always getting a semi about it, I think it's terrible.

Guest El Chalupacabra

2-D for me. For some reason, the last couple movies I saw (Godzilla and Jurassic World) in 3-d gave me headaches.

If none of you have, highly recommend watching a 3D movie but only if it's in an IMAX cinema equipped with their new 4K system - makes a MASSIVE difference. I always get headaches from the standard 3D, and always have to re-position so I don't get the double vision, but this is a whole other story. No headaches, never have to re-position to get the 3D as it's always present. Saw Everest in the Melbourne IMAX that recently had it installed and honestly if I have to watch a 3D movie, this is the only way I will do it.

But since tickets to the IMAX session were impossible to get (their servers s*** themselves), went with the standard 2D. I'd wish more filmmakers would just follow suit with Christopher Nolan and focus on high definition instead of 3D. Interstellar & the 2 Dark Knight films in IMAX pretty much blew every 3D movie out of the water with ease.

2D. Why would I willingly pay more for something I'll enjoy less?

Also, a friend made a good point - if I see a movie in 2D, I'm much more free to pay attention to the entire sscreen. With 3D, my focus has been chosen for me, and not always by the director and rarely for story or artistic purposes.

I'll save my 3D for real gimmicks (ie Universal's Spider-Man ride).

If the 3d reviews are good i'll go see it after I've seen the movie in 2d. It's a conversion though. It wasn't shot in native 3d. Plus a movie with action as frantic as Star Wars can be disorienting. A film like Gravity works in 3d because the pace of the movie suck you into the depth of space.

I watched one of the educational films in IMAX 3-D and it was survivable for the 15 minutes that it lasted, but I would never watch anything else in 3-D. I have motion sickness issues as it is, even with 2-D action sequences that have lots of flashing and spinning. I have a feeling I'd actually barf if I tried to watch a feature film in 3-D. No thanks.

Guest El Chalupacabra

Just wanna say, a lot of us are going to see Star Wars TFA more than once in the theater, so this doesn't necessarily need to be an either/or argument. But in my case, I literally had headaches from 3-D, so I will be enjoying it in 2-d.

Just wanna say, a lot of us are going to see Star Wars TFA more than once in the theater, so this doesn't necessarily need to be an either/or argument. But in my case, I literally had headaches from 3-D, so I will be enjoying it in 2-d.

Agreed. I meant initial screening. I think I'm going to go with Met's plan and see how it reviews in 3D.

Kind of surprised by all of your responses, because there are TONS of 3D and 3D IMAX show times, and a lot less 2D. But I guess I have no way to know how heavily sold all those times are. But the theaters are clearly pushing 3D.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.