TFA Trailer 3 (spoilers/images)

Driver

I think a prime example is Han saying "The dark side... the Jedi... they're real," instead of "The Sith... the Jedi... they're real."

It's a subtle, but clear difference.

Exactly!

It doesn't invalidate the PT, but it doesn't invoke it either.

If the events of the OT are more legend than history, I'd expect the taxation disputes of fifty years past to be barely-recalled historical footnotes. No reason to reference the PT, then.

I think that the Rebellion of the OT is to the new films as the Clone Wars were to the OT, though we, the audience, are far more familiar with those events than most of the characters in the film may be.

I would think that the events of ROTJ would be widely known, though the who and the why might get lost. People probably know that Palpatine fell. They probably didn't get the part about some farm boy from Tattooine being at the forefront. Especially in those Outer Rim systems.

Yeah, I retract my first statement. These guys resemble Ren more than First Order peeps... but they have guns and staffs, not lightsabers.

With Kylo's saber being "homemade," maybe he's the only one with one. Maybe he's the most force sensitive of the group or the de facto leader.

Awesome trailer. Super awesome.

Its been a little hard to follow these comments because I don't know any of the new character names matched up with faces except for Finn. And only him because of all the racism on twitter. Which is kinda cool. The movie will fill all that in for me.

I will say I agree with driver about the cinematography. Just looks spectacular.

Guest El Chalupacabra

Who's the guy Kylo Ren is torturing at 1:02? Is that Jesse Plemons?

If the hooded figure with the robot hand is Luke, like I think it is, it looks like Ren and the First Order were invading where ever it was. I wonder if that is where he is training jedi. If that is the case, I also wonder if Ren found the location by torture.

I do agree that Finn doesn't exactly look ready for Kylo's attack in that shot. However

1-Even if he is trained as a Jedi, this could be his first actual fight against someone who actually means to kill him. This could cause that reaction.

2-During Hans narration when he says "Jedi" it focuses right on Finn after he is greeted by Poe. The word comes out of Hans mouth and the camera really focuses on Finn right then.

So I'm not discounting the Finn as a secret Jedi theory yet.

No plan survives first contact with the enemy, as they say.

Alright here's what I got for the opening act of the movie....

Poe goes to Jakku for [mission]

First Order knows Poe is on Jakku, FN-2187 (Finn), Phasma, and Kylo are go down to the planet and that's when we see the village raid. They capture Poe. BB-8 ends up with Rey

Finn doesn't follow orders, refuses to kill innocent villagers. Phasma ain't down with that ("Let me inspect your weapon"). He gets in some amount of trouble.

Poe is interrogated by Kylo and lined up to be killed or whatever.

Finn decides, screw this, I'm outta here. He rescues Poe (seen leading him in cuffs in the behind the scenes video) and they both take off in the TIE Fighter in the hangar (seen shooting it's way out in the second teaser). Poe: "If we go back to Jakku, we die!"

TIE is shot down, as seen in most recent trailer.

Finn/Poe are separated.

Finn ends up with Rey, they end up in the Falcon and escape Jakku and head to..... Takodana? (Maz's Pirate castle). I don't know where/when Han and Chewie meet up with them.

Poe.... is with them? Gets out on his own?

Yeah, I think that's the basics. As for when/how they meet Han, this is just an educated guess. But it seems the Resistance has some sort of small prescence there. Obviously Von Sydow is there. So here is my thinking. The Falcon is there essentially in storage. Finn and Rey stumble upon it and think it's their best option to fly off the planet. Meanwhile when Poe didn't report back about what happened on Jakku, Han and Chewie go there to find out what happened for themselves. Finn and Rey steal the Falcon while Han and Chewie are still in the area. They spot the Falcon and are like "wtf", so they go and capture it.

If the events of the OT are more legend than history, I'd expect the taxation disputes of fifty years past to be barely-recalled historical footnotes. No reason to reference the PT, then.

I think that the Rebellion of the OT is to the new films as the Clone Wars were to the OT, though we, the audience, are far more familiar with those events than most of the characters in the film may be.

About any character speaking about the OT events like they are ancient, I find that strange. If the film is set the same amount of years past ROTJ as in real life (32 years), maybe there's that lack of knowledge because certain populations--as in real life--are clueless about major events, even in recent history. 32 years ago is anything but ancient, or some fog-enshrouded account on a tattered page, but a period that has endless influences on the current world. In the SW universe, the Empire's greatest defeat--including the death of its Sith leaders--would be something the active galaxy would know.

I still cannot get over Han Freaking Solo being the person to explain the Force to the new generation, in the same place he referred to it as a hokey religion.

My favorite tweet of the night was someone saying the answer to "Where's Luke?" is "in every word Han Solo says."

Cosmic irony. He was one the main characters' atheists, but how he could remain that way after seeing Luke's abilities in front of his face (ROTJ). Or, facing off against a Darth Vader who wanted to capture none other than Luke in ESB. Its good that the main character are all on the same page about the Force this time around.

Yep seems reasonable, Choc. Hard to imagine Han being separated from the Falcon, but that doesn't mean it's not possible.

Other things:

Here's a really awesome trailer mashup, using shots from the trailer and both teasers. https://vimeo.com/143044228

It looks, upon further inspection, that Rey is crying over Finn in the scene we've talked about. I'm sure he's not dead, but I'm equally sure he's just been handled by Kylo Ren as we suspect is the outcome there. Internet sleuth's have decided that you can "clearly" see Finn's leather jacket in that shot. The "hair" we thought was Chewbacca's is just shrubbery in the background.

Someone in over at another message board has done more work on the flags at (presumably) Maz's castle. https://thecantina.starwarsnewsnet.com/index.php?threads/flags-identified-in-trailer-3.6215/

Given Maz's dialogue in this trailer, can we assume she has some level of force sensitivity too?

About any character speaking about the OT events like they are ancient, I find that strange. If the film is set the same amount of years past ROTJ as in real life (32 years), maybe there's that lack of knowledge because certain populations--as in real life--are clueless about major events, even in recent history. 32 years ago is anything but ancient, or some fog-enshrouded account on a tattered page, but a period that has endless influences on the current world. In the SW universe, the Empire's greatest defeat--including the death of its Sith leaders--would be something the active galaxy would know.

I agree geneerally but not with specifics. Sure everyone knows about the defeat at Endor, but I would imagine hardly anyone knows about Luke, and the showdown in the throne room. It makes perfect sense that this "hero" some people might have whispered about has passed into lore. The same guy blew up the first Death Star AND took down the Emperor and his top dog? What are the odds. It seems like people are combining several heroic acts and attributing them to one individual, a savior for the alliance.

Jedi haven't been prevalent in the galaxy for over 50 years. RotS was 20 years prior to ANH, TFA is 30 years after RotJ. Even in the heyday before Palpatine, most people were probably only vaguely aware of Jedi. Han, who had been from one edge of the galaxy to the other, didn't even believe in the Force.

You can imagine people telling others "Don't think we won thanks to some hokey religion and ancient weapons. Hardened pilots won the day at Endor."

Plus it's Rey asking the question, who by all accounts has lived a pretty solitary life. Plus who cares if it's not perfectly logical. Han's lines there are so awesome and sound so awesome I don't really care if someone not knowing their recent history is believable or not.

I've decided that I'm not even going to entertain the Han-Rey discussion scene until I see the movie. I thought back to the Age of Ultron trailer and the discussion between Stark and Banner. That conversation was pieced together in the trailer and contained dialogue from three different scenes. I'm afraid what we're seeing now is being taken out of context, and is what Disney wants us to think.

Yep seems reasonable, Choc. Hard to imagine Han being separated from the Falcon, but that doesn't mean it's not possible.

Other things:

Here's a really awesome trailer mashup, using shots from the trailer and both teasers. https://vimeo.com/143044228

It looks, upon further inspection, that Rey is crying over Finn in the scene we've talked about. I'm sure he's not dead, but I'm equally sure he's just been handled by Kylo Ren as we suspect is the outcome there. Internet sleuth's have decided that you can "clearly" see Finn's leather jacket in that shot. The "hair" we thought was Chewbacca's is just shrubbery in the background.

Someone in over at another message board has done more work on the flags at (presumably) Maz's castle. https://thecantina.starwarsnewsnet.com/index.php?threads/flags-identified-in-trailer-3.6215/

Given Maz's dialogue in this trailer, can we assume she has some level of force sensitivity too?

I agree geneerally but not with specifics. Sure everyone knows about the defeat at Endor, but I would imagine hardly anyone knows about Luke, and the showdown in the throne room. It makes perfect sense that this "hero" some people might have whispered about has passed into lore. The same guy blew up the first Death Star AND took down the Emperor and his top dog? What are the odds. It seems like people are combining several heroic acts and attributing them to one individual, a savior for the alliance.

Jedi haven't been prevalent in the galaxy for over 50 years. RotS was 20 years prior to ANH, TFA is 30 years after RotJ. Even in the heyday before Palpatine, most people were probably only vaguely aware of Jedi. Han, who had been from one edge of the galaxy to the other, didn't even believe in the Force.

You can imagine people telling others "Don't think we won thanks to some hokey religion and ancient weapons. Hardened pilots won the day at Endor."

That flag work is amazing!! Subtle nod to the PT.

I think Luke was quite famous after the battle of Yavin. I'm sure there's something in the ESB crawl about his notoriety. He did blow up a Death Star. And word does travel...

No plan survives first contact with the enemy, as they say.

Alright here's what I got for the opening act of the movie....

Poe goes to Jakku for [mission]

First Order knows Poe is on Jakku, FN-2187 (Finn), Phasma, and Kylo are go down to the planet and that's when we see the village raid. They capture Poe. BB-8 ends up with Rey

Finn doesn't follow orders, refuses to kill innocent villagers. Phasma ain't down with that ("Let me inspect your weapon"). He gets in some amount of trouble.

Poe is interrogated by Kylo and lined up to be killed or whatever.

Finn decides, screw this, I'm outta here. He rescues Poe (seen leading him in cuffs in the behind the scenes video) and they both take off in the TIE Fighter in the hangar (seen shooting it's way out in the second teaser). Poe: "If we go back to Jakku, we die!"

TIE is shot down, as seen in most recent trailer.

Finn/Poe are separated.

Finn ends up with Rey, they end up in the Falcon and escape Jakku and head to..... Takodana? (Maz's Pirate castle). I don't know where/when Han and Chewie meet up with them.

Poe.... is with them? Gets out on his own?

I like it-- but there's a lot of back and forth. Star Wars is pretty consistent with linear movement, plot points changing up locations. I want to take a stab at it, but I want to organize what visuals there are first...

I still think most everything we've seen is from the opening act/third of the movie (not just my own thought, I think some others have said that as well, maybe in an EW/Variety piece or something). Even the Kylo/Finn showdown I think is maybe only the halfway point, along with the attack on the snowy planet. I think, like Choc has said, maybe the Resistance launches the attack as soon as he makes it back (and has acquired coordinates for the base).

There's a lot we can piece together, but like we've all commented on, there's still so much we don't know, which is neat as heck.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.