The Walking Dead Season 6

Lucas1138

Bigotry and discrimination are things anybody can be a victim of.

"Racism" has become a catchall for such actions, but in reality, the word is used to describe a system of power.

When people complain that Jet Magazine isn't fair cause if white people had an all white magazine it would be considered racist, but why do black people get to do it if we're all equal?

Because we're not. Legally, technically, sure-- but I think people forget how recent equal rights were. That movement was less than 50 years ago. When our culture goes another 100 years after the civil rights laws were passed, maybe then we can talk about everyone getting a fair share-- but when any race, sex, subculture, or whatever has been oppressed for so long they get their fare share of time to actually laud and voice their culture-- because not so long ago they couldn't.

It doesn't help that suddenly we're in a space where progress on equal rights has ground to a halt and in some parts of the country, reversed.

I agree that celebrities have the right to make statements and I think I said as much. But I also think they have a responsibility when making those statements. Some mega-stars like Beyonce (who I personally like and only used as a point of reference) have the ability to influence so many people. So with that influence comes responsiibility. It's probably fair to say that if a celebrity of that magnitude says something, more people would listen than if it came from Obama.

I disagree with this. Take an actor; a person who wants to be employed as a person pretending to be another. Why should this person have any more responsibility to make a statement when speaking than any other? You contend it's because that person is in a position to influence others. I say that person's just doing a job like any other. Who was it that said "just because I can play ball, doesn't mean I should raise your kids"? Just because, say, Jennifer Lawrence wants to espouse her opinion on North Carolina? I don't think she should be any more careful with her words than my co-worker, Kiera is just because Jennifer is a pretty movie actress.

Her statement was dangerous to me because I think she was trying to say it was OK to be militant and it was almost a call to arms in response to the perceived racism from the haughty-taughty Academy. (I say perceived because there is no evidence of an agenda. It's just been noticed that there weren't enough nominations). Would armies of Black Panthers springing up everywhere as a result not be alarming to you?

But it's just a performance. Armies of Black Panthers have not sprung up anywhere. Everybody seems to have gotten it was just a performance. And this is nothing new for Beyonce-she does this **** a lot.

I don't know if what Beyonce did was reverse racism but you can sure as hell be sure that if a white artist showed up with an army of white dancers someone would point out that's 'not representative'. Similarly if they turned up with backing dancers wearing white power symbols we would be in a whole world of hate.

That's because white people have all the power. Don't think like Paratech-there is no such thing as reverse racism.

Th Academy are not blameless. I think they are out of touch with films, nevermind general culture.... But can you think of any specific performances that warranted a nomination?

I didn't seer many of this year's films to begin with, but I know Creed and Straight Outta Compton were brought up as examples this year. Thing is, it's not just this year-the criticism (vaild, IMO) goes back to the 40's and beyond with white actors playing ethnic roles and continues through today with only whites getting even the nominations.

Social Media is to blame for everything and that sense of 'entitlement' you speak of is part of the problem.

Disagree here, too. We had racism way before social media and if you're referring to the sense of entitlement issue only, I think we'd also have that without. I thik it's mostly due to millenials and how their parents raised them.

The other part is when people are given a voice and have a say without fear of recrimination. People can be influenced by their belief systems. And it's not a simple as you believe the world is round and someone says the world is round so you agree with them. People can encourage and influence people to see their point of view just by tapping in to their belief systems. Unfortunately we have many sheep out there willing to follow people with perhaps not the right ideas and the internet gives them the platform and power base like never before. Not all of it is bad. In fact the internet and collective power has been used to make changes for good.

Not sure I know what you're talking about here.

I think I would have more sympathy for some of the things complained about like poor Denise the Doomed Lesbian Redshirt if it was presented in a sensible way. But I can't abide the hate or the backlash or any sort of over-the-top reaction. (Don't get me started on Sansa Stark again!). the difficulty for me is that there is no happy medium or compromise. I can imagine the showrunner meetings...

But that's just YOU, letting the lowest common denominator's rants influence you.

Wow MG... I don't know how to respond to that. Maybe I'm just wrong?

:) Not necessarily-Tell me what you THINK of my replies, maybe I"m all wrong? Maybe Amanda can scour the site and show me I've responded to this

sort of thing differently before and I'm being a hypocrite? MAYBE I'm JUST HIGH?

I'm literally in pain right now, because Stevil is clearly wrong about a lot of things here, but at the same time, MG is never right about anything.

Was nice knowing you all.

HAY GAWd ****ing DAMMIT NOW GAWDDD!

Re: the oscars thing.... Straight outta Compton didn't get any nominations cause it didn't deserve any, not because of prejudice. It was an ok film, if overly one sided and very thinly veiled band sanctioned PR material. It was entertaining and interesting insight into a time and a place but it had many many flaws. Oscars nominated movies shouldn't have many flaws.

But anyway.. That was an entertaining read MG and Stevil... Back to the walking dead killing minorities

stevil is right about social media playing a role in amplifying mainstream opinions in pop culture. Likes-to-dislikes ratio, for example, certainly sways opinions as to what people feel they should or should not actually like. YouTuber rants are another, as you tubers copycat each flood the Internet with their "opinions". Look at the blowback from the horrible ghostbusters trailer and sony's questionable production shenanigans. Actually, I'm surprised nobody here has started a topic on it yet. I'd do it, but I'm too lazy and people like driver here are better with stuff like that anyways.

stevil is right about social media playing a role in amplifying mainstream opinions in pop culture. Likes-to-dislikes ratio, for example, certainly sways opinions as to what people feel they should or should not actually like. YouTuber rants are another, as you tubers copycat each flood the Internet with their "opinions". Look at the blowback from the horrible ghostbusters trailer and sony's questionable production shenanigans. Actually, I'm surprised nobody here has started a topic on it yet. I'd do it, but I'm too lazy and people like driver here are better with stuff like that anyways.

Ghostbusters kinda broke me. I argued super hard in favor of a reboot cause haters were all EW GIRLZ SJW WIN but then the trailer was painfully unfunny.

Ghostbusters kinda broke me. I argued super hard in favor of a reboot cause haters were all EW GIRLZ SJW WIN but then the trailer was painfully unfunny.

Yeah, it looks pretty terrible. For whatever reason, I always thought Paul Feig actually wrote Three O'Clock High (he was just an actor in it), a film I consider brilliant in a 1980's garishly colorful black/white hat sort of way, so I was holding out hope a Ghostbusters reboot might actually be kinda neat. But after the trailer and an appearance on Real Time a few weeks ago, where Feig came off as super nice and utterly inoffensive... but also rather vapid and incapable of communicating outside of marketing terms and buzzwords, I decided to look at his record and realized most of what he has been involved with throughout his career has been similarly bad.

No longer holding out hope. When you've got Melissa McCarthy, Kristen Wiig, Kate McKinnon, and Leslie Jones together and you can't scrape together 150 seconds of funny, you are doing it wrong.

The only interest I have in it now is figuring out what io9's angle is.

Assuming the movie is even half as bad as it looks, is io9's hype-bordering-on-obsession hinged on pride? Are they trolling their readers? Is the idea of this all-female reboot that important to them that they're willing to overlook or excuse every flaw in the film (and on that note, if it is about wanting successful films that make SJWs cheer, how do they justify having Leslie Jones play the only non-scientist of the team, and potentially a racial stereotype)? Do they have personal connections with the crew? Just WTF is going on here? I HAVE TO FIND OUT!!!

:eek:

Seth, did you see Straight Outta Compton?

I loved it for the most part-- though I firmly believe no one should get to be EP of their own life story. There was a good movie there for sure-- but there were one to many times where Dre or Cube had scenes tat were clearly a case of "Oh hey, we need to show the time I did this cool ass thing."

Had they let more of the real life warts show it would have been stellar.

Guest El Chalupacabra

Maggie or Michonne.

Not Maggie--she's turning into leader material, but in baby steps, so she still has "stuff and thangs" to do.

On the other hand, i've said I think Michonne will be the one. As everyone knows, her death robs Rick of the only real love he's known since Lori, and devastate her surrogate son Carl, which would play into Carl possibly being the ticking time bomb, if he starts hanging around Negan.

They won't kill Michonne, at least anytime soon.

This is a serious question: what is it that I am not getting that there should be so much debate on who it is being beaten in the finale?

It really doesn't seem to me there should be that much to debate. I think they will go with a safe kill for this episode. No one really that important. Like I said earlier, I think it is going to be Rosita who is the one beaten. Since Abraham and Sasha are hooking up, there really isn't much for Rosita to do. Then again, it could be Sasha, since we don't have Tyrese around, either. She doesn't have a comic version, I think. But then again, Sasha is basically what Andrea should have been, so I would be surprised if she gets it.

If it's neither of them, then I think its Glenn,

since that is how he gets it in the comic.

Maggie or Michonne.

Not Maggie--she's turning into leader material, but in baby steps, so she still has "stuff and thangs" to do.

On the other hand, i've said I think Michonne will be the one. As everyone knows, her death robs Rick of the only real love he's known since Lori, and devastate her surrogate son Carl, which would play into Carl possibly being the ticking time bomb, if he starts hanging around Negan.

They won't kill Michonne, at least anytime soon.

This is a serious question: what is it that I am not getting that there should be so much debate on who it is being beaten in the finale?

It really doesn't seem to me there should be that much to debate. I think they will go with a safe kill for this episode. No one really that important. Like I said earlier, I think it is going to be Rosita who is the one beaten. Since Abraham and Sasha are hooking up, there really isn't much for Rosita to do. Then again, it could be Sasha, since we don't have Tyrese around, either. She doesn't have a comic version, I think. But then again, Sasha is basically what Andrea should have been, so I would be surprised if she gets it.

If it's neither of them, then I think its Glenn,

since that is how he gets it in the comic.

A "safe" kill instantly loses the needed impact of Negan being a true threat to this group. Its not just the act of murder, but the level (in the heroes' eyes) he will go to in carrying out his law. Imagine if The Governor beheaded Bob Stookey at the prison instead of Hershel; aside from a gruesome end, Bob's death would not have been the axe-to-the-heart of the heroes that Hershel was. The Governor went out with a bang because he was a threat to important characters.

So, on that note, Negan killing Sasha or Rosita (or for that matter, Abraham, Eugene or Aaron) would lose all of the sinister S6 build-up, and the reasons why Rick and Co. should be completely demoralized all throughout S7. Glenn? As we move weeks away from S6, Glenn had one too many fake out deaths, and too many media call outs to the comic death for it to have any impact at all.

If AMC/Gimple had any stones at all, they will make Michonne the victim.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.