Star Wars Battlefront (open beta)

Odine

Been putting in the hours into the open beta of this on PS4. It's pretty cool cause, you know, STAR WARS. There is something super awesome about being in the top of an AT-ST blasting rebel scum while they try in vain to prevent your swath of destruction from advancing any further. Then you die and respawn, maybe get a TIE-fighter power up next?

Super fun.

However after a few hours blasting the same map and game mode It did start to get a little tired. Given that there are only 4 worlds (I think) that are in the game and 4 or 5 game modes I don't believe the replay ability will be very high. That is unless you love Battlefield or other 1st person modern shooters. Which is essentially all this game is. Only Star Wars. Which is why I'm somewhat conflicted. I'm not a massive fan of online competitive shooters like battlefield or call of duty. They're boring as all hell after a few hours to me. But I love Star Wars. So while I could have a few hours fun with this game, I certainly won't be dropping £50 on it. Maybe later when the price comes down.. Or maybe there is a better Star Wars game in the pipeline that suits my gaming tastes more.. One can hope.

That's cause Destiny is for suckers. What a waste of time that game was (is).

I agree DD. I can't put my finger on the exact thing that makes

battlefront disappointing. Maybe it just is it feels exactly like battlefield 4. It looks like Star Wars but it doesn't really play like Star Wars if that makes sense.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I played the Beta on PC. I only played the single player portion and the dropzone level. I never got around to playing the Hoth level, because I only managed to get up to level 5.

I hope that they address the balance issues between the Imperial and Rebel teams. The Imperials seem to have an advantage in combat.

• 1 month later...

Realizing I needed a good brain-zapping game that wouldn't suck me into endless narrative I changed my mind after trying Battlefront. Also, I won't lie-- the kid and I love Plants vs Zombies Garden Warfare which believe it or not works on the same engine as Battlefield/Battlefront.

I'm enjoying it for short spans of time, sure I get killed quick-- but I'm leveling up and get some kills in.

Really, the worst thing is Vader's voice. I get they can't shell out for JEJ every time they need him-- but they've done better than this in video games before. I can't believe somebody listened to that and said YEP, THAT'S GOOD.

So I got this today and it's worth the price of admission for the dog fights alone. The X-wing / Tie Fighter mode is soooo good. Reliving a lot of childhood daydreams in there.

One gripe (aside from all the normal gripes) is I wish they would randomize the teams after every match ends. It's kind of annoying to have the one hotshot pilot guy on the other side killing everybody, only to face him and the same team each and every time unless you quit out of the mode and go back in.

• 2 weeks later...

So I finally have the game and have been putting a couple hours in each night... and its super fun. My only gripe is the lack of content.... that will be made available by EA through paid DLC. The breaking down of a game and portioning it out in little bitty pieces by publishers to shift more units really rubs me up the wrong way. But DARTH ****ing VADER MAN! I played last night and killed it. Got the highest kill score in a round on Hoth. 52 kills for 12 deaths. A proud moment. I can only assume there are a lot of 30, 40+ players on there cause if kids were playing there is no way I would've been the top scorer.

I dunno! The fact that a massive company like EA hasn't re-used film audio for dialogue and that makes me think maybe it's a licensing or publishing thing that was preventing them? Not sure I understand. Is the audio from film legally compartmentalised from the video??

You would have thought EA would've been able to get DICE to hire better voice actors though. You would've thought the budget would allow for people who could actually impersonate James Earl jones, Mark Hammil and Ian McDermont.

As it is the only voice that wasn't totally jarring was Han Solo.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I dunno! The fact that a massive company like EA hasn't re-used film audio for dialogue and that makes me think maybe it's a licensing or publishing thing that was preventing them? Not sure I understand. Is the audio from film legally compartmentalised from the video??

You would have thought EA would've been able to get DICE to hire better voice actors though. You would've thought the budget would allow for people who could actually impersonate James Earl jones, Mark Hammil and Ian McDermont.

As it is the only voice that wasn't totally jarring was Han Solo.

I heard somewhere that it's the guy who did Chad Vader doing his voice in Battlefront, and that apparently he also did Vader in the TFU games and some other things.

I've played the beta, and I got the main game, and it's just not holding my interest. It's fun, but it really does suffer by not having a single-player.

• 2 weeks later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.