American Horror Story: Hotel

Driver

Guest Domina Crystalli

So. They finally make Idiot Rooster Mullet useful and likeable and sympathetic... and then kill him pretty much immediately.

Gaga is going down hard. EVERYONE hates her for some reason at this point.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Domina Crystalli

I keep forgetting to mention how hilarious Evan Peters and Mare Winningham are. Crack me up every time.

What's so great/awful about that is that they're such horrible people, but you can't help but like them.

• 3 weeks later...

Such a great ending! I was worried about Liz after the initial opening but it was nice to see later that it was what she wanted. Loved that Sally ended up making tons of friends online! I found it funny how a ghost trapped in a hotel found a way to communicate outside through modern technology. And yes, James Patrick March has been one of the best characters in this series!

Overall, I would say this has been the best season since 2.

In order of how much I liked each season from best to worst:

2 & 5 (tied)

I agree this was the best season by far that I've seen. I skipped seasons 2 and 4 so my rankings:

I really loved this season. My only misgiving is that in a horror series there was almost no horror in the final episode. They didn't really try for any after the teaser.

I agree this was the best season by far that I've seen. I skipped seasons 2 and 4 so my rankings:

I really loved this season. My only misgiving is that in a horror series there was almost no horror in the final episode. They didn't really try for any after the teaser.

You need to watch season 2! Aliens and nazis and demons! Oh my!

I finished watching it the other day. It was definitely far better than either of the last two seasons, which was just awful all around other than some good moments occasionally. I think I may be done with the series, though. I like aspects of it, especially the core premise of doing an extended story in a horror/creepy location and a number of the actors and actresses involved, but the show just typically doesn't really do it for me. It just often goes so overly indulgent into a combination of horror, drugs, and sex that frequently doesn't sit right with me for some reason. I also wish the network would give Murphy fewer episodes and not let him run long episodes. Even this season, which was definitely somewhat tighter than the past few, felt too long as a whole with a lot of episodes that dragged on.

We'll see, though; maybe they will get me to watch the next season, too, but I need to cut shows out that I don't get much enjoyment out of, but am just watching because I used to watch it.

My one and only complaint is that it actually isn't scary. They give away everything from the top by making the "monsters" the stars. What makes for scary is the unknown. Tension, mystery and a terrifying motivation on the part of the monster (be it a literal one like Dracula, or a psychological one like Hannibal Lecter) are what make something truly scary.

AHS is all shock/terror. It relies on insanity, gore, jump scares and crazy twists to excite and disgust in equal parts. And there's nothing wrong with that-- it's a legit form of horror, but it just isn't every truly scary.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.