American Horror Story: Hotel

Driver

Anyone left that still watches?

I thought this season opener was the strongest since Asylum. Coven didn't try hard enough while Freakshow tried WAY to hard.

This one felt just right.

Of course it's the usual dada-ist collage of horror insanity. The first hour gave us glampires, the ghost of Courtney Love, creepy bloodsucker kids, a wannabe Hannibalesque serial killer, a mutant in a mattress, sodomy by way of a metal strap on, a blood orgy, and Denis O'Hare as Liz Taylor.

As I said on my FB, (sorry to repost): The fine line between homage and rip-off, and stacking as many of them on top of each other as possible, is kinda the core conceit of AHS. Once you recognize the show as horror performance art that isnt trying to be original it becomes more enjoyable. Its kind of like a Wold Family Tree of horror.

I too pictured Lange in the Gaga role.

I'm digging it. I could never get into Freak Show. In fact, I've still never seen the last 3 episodes. I got behind and just had no desire to catch up.

Thought the premiere was very strong. There was almost *too* much going on, but maybe I was just distracted and finding it hard to focus (I was texting throughout, so this is likely).

I'm traveling so I haven't watched the premiere yet but excited to.

So far I've watched every other season. Love haunted houses, witches, and scary hotel stories. Hate mental aslyums and carnival stories. So its kinda like the Star Trek even/odd thing but opposite numbers.

I did haunted house and asylum back to back. Started witches but couldn't stand the thought of looking at the lead actress (blonde witch) for another season. Didn't care to pick it up again, though I like the idea of Hotel. Might give it a go based on your recommendation

Guest El Chalupacabra

I liked seasons 1 and 2. Season 1 got me hooked with episode 1, and season 2 was IMHO even better. Sure there were some plot elements that I had seen before, but like Driver said, they aren't trying to be original, more like good performances.

Season 3, I watched the whole season hoping it would get better. It had its moments here and there, and Kathy Bates, Jessica Lang, and Angela Basset were great individually, however, much of season 3 was too x-meny, as well as too teen soap opera-ish, but in a bad way. By the end of the season, I was completely disgusted and spoiled me from wanting to see season 4. And it sounds like I didn't miss much by skipping Season 4, anyway. I am not much into freak shows in general anyway.

I am intrigued by Season 5, but with having a hotel theme, I am sure we are going to see homages to Psycho and The Shining. It sucks Lang left the show, too. Any word on why?

Guest Domina Crystalli

If it goes more for The Shining type creepy than pointy, silver dildos shock value I'll continue to watch.

This seems like what most people DON'T like about Hotel so far... I don't think they're going for The Shining at all. But people expect it because it's a horror story set in a hotel.

My little brother was having an awful time trying to comprehend what's going on, because he kept trying to fit what he was seeing with this pre-conceived notion that the hotel is haunted.

Guest Domina Crystalli

Well they showed an elevator spew in the promos, the got creepy kids appearing around corners, and they've replicated the famous carpet pattern from the Shining.

Those are pretty intentional nods.

Okay, so maybe the serial killer original owner/designer plotline is going to go in a Shining direction. But the vampire stuff is out in left field.

So, can we talk about Vampire Gaga's horrible taste in men? I mean, Matt Bomer is fine, but can you imagine spending eternity - or even just a few decades - with Idiot Rooster Mullet? I couldn't take him for more than 30 seconds. WTF, Gaga?

She likes them pretty, then gets tired of them. That's vampire 101.

Now that they confirmed she's immortal I believe my theory even more. End of the season, when she's killed or misses a meal or something-- she's going to show her age-- and it will be Jessica Lange.

And I'm going to just say it-- I LOVE this season. After the last two I was going to bail if the first episode wasn't great. And it was.

• 2 weeks later...

This is easily the best AHS season. Devil's Night was pure genius from start to end and had me riveted to the screen. A TV show has not had me pay this much attention in a very long time. I particularly loved the attention to detail given to Aileen Wuornos and the background music of Natalie Merchant's "Carnival" during her scene. (Google this people).

I guess I don't know the difference between the real Aileen and Theron's "Monster" Aileen. I assume since Monster's and AHS's versions are identical it's close to how she was.

On a related note, Jeffrey Dahmer was creepy as f--k on this episode too. Again, great job all around to cast and crew and writers for this episode!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.