Sicario

Brett

Anyone? I loved it. It was depressing as ****. Really heavy film.

The

dinner

scene. That's the first time I ever audibly said "holy ****" in a movie theater (that wasn't out of boredom or sarcastic disbelief at the garbage being paraded before my eyes)

It's like an orgy of war-on-drugs insanity. Emily Blunt is really intense. Josh Brolin is like some lovable psychopath. Benicio Del Toro kind of looked like he was sleepwalking through the movie, which is unusual. I can see what he was trying to do in making the character a ghost-like, broken, hollowed-out soul. But he didn't have any moments which particularly stood out to me. Which, again, is unusual for him.

Awesome score. The single, repeating, heavy-hitting orchestral riff thing is getting old but I loved what Johann Johannsen did with this. It's like a bizarre, nauseating, constantly downward, de-crescendo.

I think there were really only a few things I didn't love about this film: the ending is cliche, the guys from Burn Notice and Walking Dead showing up were kind of jarring and seemed like stunt casting... I dunno. And narrative-wise: when Del Toro's character breaks off from the main group it starts to drift in basic action-revenge territory. Emily Blunt's character kind of loses all purpose at that point. They should have given her something to do which would have mirrored the Del Toro character's cold-hearted single-mindedness (since she was the only "idealist" of the bunch). Though I can see WHY the narrative goes in that direction (and I like it) I feel they were forced to shift the narrative focus too far from Emily Blunt; whom the movie followed very closely up until that point.

Anyone? I loved it. It was depressing as ****. Really heavy film.

The

dinner

scene. That's the first time I ever audibly said "holy ****" in a movie theater (that wasn't out of boredom or sarcastic disbelief at the garbage being paraded before my eyes)

It's like an orgy of war-on-drugs insanity. Emily Blunt is really intense. Josh Brolin is like some lovable psychopath. Benicio Del Toro kind of looked like he was sleepwalking through the movie, which is unusual. I can see what he was trying to do in making the character a ghost-like, broken, hollowed-out soul. But he didn't have any moments which particularly stood out to me. Which, again, is unusual for him.

Awesome score. The single, repeating, heavy-hitting orchestral riff thing is getting old but I loved what Johann Johannsen did with this. It's like a bizarre, nauseating, constantly downward, de-crescendo.

I think there were really only a few things I didn't love about this film: the ending is cliche, the guys from Burn Notice and Walking Dead showing up were kind of jarring and seemed like stunt casting... I dunno. And narrative-wise: when Del Toro's character breaks off from the main group it starts to drift in basic action-revenge territory. Emily Blunt's character kind of loses all purpose at that point. They should have given her something to do which would have mirrored the Del Toro character's cold-hearted single-mindedness (since she was the only "idealist" of the bunch). Though I can see WHY the narrative goes in that direction (and I like it) I feel they were forced to shift the narrative focus too far from Emily Blunt; whom the movie followed very closely up until that point.

Right ON

I LOVED LOVED LOVED the first act. Everything up until they got back from the run into Juarez. From there it was still good-- but I felt like it was building toward something that didn't happen. I was still in-- but about the time we got to the caves at the top of act 3 they lost me.

I didn't like that it suddenly stopped being Emily Blunt's movie and turned into Del Toro's.

It went from a pseudo-feminist action thriller to a standard dude revenge flick.

I DID NOT like the ending, and how she was ultimately treated. It seemed contrary to where the story started.

All that said, watching this, Narcos and the Cartel-land documentary makes me want to never go south of the border.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.