The Wage Gap Myth

Pong Messiah

I want you to be angry because you read an article that refutes the notion of a "wage gap," pavonis.

You can still be angry about other things, of course. In fact, I encourage it. But in this context,if your anger is only meaningful if it grew because you read those words.

Sorry bro.

:(

While intensely, almost erotically gratifying, it does not fit the criteria for meaningful anger in this context.

Maybe my favorite sentence ever typed on Nightly?

I have never worked anywhere where a wage gap existed (environmental, wildlife), and I'm not sure what industry could get away with it nowadays anyhow.

Okay.

Well, I'm annoyed by the Band-aid feel-good repair that doesn't address anything meaningful.

My wife quit work because she wanted to stay home, but I know plenty of parents who quit or reduced hours because of the expense of childcare or, in lower incomes, because working 40 hours keeps them from getting assistance but 37 hours is fine. When that assistance is tens of thousands of dollars a year (Medicaid, SNAP) that can be a big deal.

Not sure if Obamacare has improved that, because i don't currently know anyone in those situations, but it is rough and the band-aid doesn't fix it or even attempt to do anything. It's feel-good liberalism, not intentional, directed policy.

And when you're looking at quantifying performance, you can basically make up whatever results you want.

Companies must now ensure that every penny of wage differential between the men and women they employ is attributable to bona-fide differences in education, training, experience, quantity or quality of work, and so on.

That must suck.

It takes more work to make up stats to prove that what you're already doing is okay, without actually doing anything.

I have never worked anywhere where a wage gap existed (environmental, wildlife), and I'm not sure what industry could get away with it nowadays anyhow.

It does, you just haven't noticed because you're on the other side of it. I knew I got crappy pay, and finally got another manager who noticed it and brought me up to where I should have been. He had to give me 2 years of crazy raises to do it. Next year after he left, boom, back to crap raises.

What's actually more pervasive is women or men who are actually involved in their family's lives are placed on the "mommy track". Passed up for promotions, not given opportunities, because corporate America really wants their entire employee base to be single men and women who have nothing better to do than be at work. Family and outside lives are an incovnience. As one of my friends put it, "Leaving early to go to golf? Ok. Leaving at 5 because you need to pick kids up from the daycare? Not there for your team."

Well, a lot of the my jobs have standardized salaries. Everyone gets paid the same because it's government work.

I can relate to the mommy track a little bit. I've always been expected to work hours that are incompatible with daycare. It's apparently crazy that a father would take his kids to and from daycare. When I've brought it up, I can see the old schools guys kind of scoff at it.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.