Pope Francis meets with Kim Davis. Is it OK to be angry with and/or hate the Pope again?

Pong Messiah

Looks like all it took was a meeting with Kim Davis to get people to finally stfu about Pope Francis.

Did they really think that Francis being right on the issues of climate change, income inequality, capitalism-for-capitalism's sake, capital punishment, etc. meant he wasn't also a ginormous sexist homophobe? What, was all this "doctrine" silliness just a load of winking chum for the rubes prior to Francis's "evolution," a la Obama?

Is this what my SJW friends were all worked up about?

Probably? Possibly? Hard to tell -- they're always worked up about something!

I have a feeling that that conversation didn't go as well as Kim Davis might have hoped it would. Otherwise, I'm sure she'd be shouting from the rooftops everything he said to her.

WTF? He voiced his support of "conscientious objection as a human right" in a discussion that was clearly about her without naming her, so his position seems pretty clear, and now that their private meeting is public, she seems freakin' over the moon about it.

This isn't aimed at you, Cerina, but I am just still picking my jaw up off the floor that there are people who thought he was ever, ever OK with gay marriage. "Not passing judgment" is not the same as "supporting everyone's right to marriage equality," you twits. Tolerance != acceptance.

:confused:

Is this what my SJW friends were all worked up about?

Probably? Possibly? Hard to tell, they're always worked up about something.

Reaction from some of the little popeamaniacs has been kinda cute in its grasping. Before confirmation: HOAX! After: HE WAS TRICKED BY CONSERVATIVE PAPAL VADERS!

Sorry guys. Popeamania is dead.

:eek:

A few worthwhile points from said article:

4. His words to her, “Be strong,” and his gift of a rosary seem to be the kind of thing the pope might do for anyone presented to him. The difficulty of trying to construe these words into Pope Francis’ support for a “liberal” or “conservative” political agenda is evident here. That is, he said almost the same thing to women religious in this country, sometimes widely viewed as “liberal”: “Be courageous!”

5. For those wondering what all of this means, it’s probably best not to interpret a meeting that the Vatican will not speak about, and also to be careful about swallowing wholesale the interpretation of those who would use this meeting to support their own agenda ...

6. It’s ill advised to use a private visit with the pope to make political point. It’s also unfortunate that after the pope’s visit, during which he sought to reconcile divisions, during which he explicitly lamented political polarization in his speech to Congress and during which he sought to show how foolish the “culture wars” are, that his meeting with Ms. Davis may be used to score political points.

Notice a pattern here?

Tiny steps.

I am also a little more irritated that a lady from a podunky town in Kentucky will ride high on this stuff. It should have been a blurb in the local paper and done. She should have been removed from her position and life goes on. Instead she is getting visits from the Pope - who I'd be interested to know how he felt about her multiple marriages - press conferences and attention.

Yeah, in the chatter before all hope was lost!

Now it's: The "Cool Pope" Honeymoon is Over because Pope Francis says Kim Davis has a ‘human right’ to deny marriage licenses to same-sex couples

So let’s just remind ourselves, whatever the Pope’s economic liberalism – his vow of poverty and taking the name of a saint beloved by environmentalists, his sensible little Fiat – he still represents one of the most sexually conservative institutions in the developed world. He preaches love for individual gay people, but concurs with the church’s position that homosexuality is wrong. He opposes abortion. He’s spoken about the importance of women in Catholicism, but seems unlikely to budge allowing women to be ordained or to have a real role in church hierarchy.
Unlike Davis, who became famous for refusing to issue licenses for same-sex couples, the Pope has not been provocative on these matters. But his positions don’t appear to be “evolving.

Preach it, brother! I like that this author used "evolving" in scare quotes!

Anyone who actually expects the Pope to change any of these things is just stupid and not worthy of having a platform of any kind other than wearing tin foil hats and smearing poop on themselves.

Also, it's most likely that she was presented to him, he gave her a rosary and a couple words of general encouragement. The fact that her attorneys are trying to use this to somehow mean something is, at best, dishonest. I say we just compromise by nuking Kentucky.

It depends on your definition of meet with her.

Meet with her, meaning having a meeting with her? No. Meet with her meaning meet her along with dozens of others? Yes.

LOL the Vatican is backpedaling furiously now, and there are claims that our poor sweet Pope was "blindsided" by the dastardly anti-gayites!

Dear progressives: Look, I get it. This is the first pope in your lifetime who knew how to find your clitoris, and I totally understand and respect those happy feelings he brought to you. But now that he's out in the living room eating a ham sandwich, playing CoD with his buddies, now that it's just you and me, let's be honest: he's just using you, sister.

:no:

You can say what you will about Pope Palpatine -- he was certainly no prize -- but at least he never tried to play you.

The pope has way more authority than the Queen and there are way more Catholics than English. And hard to say that any organization with more than a billion members is irrelevant.

Better to just be open and say you don't care about an institution you hate.

Fair enough, that was a poor comparison. And I don't hate Catholicism (maybe a lot of its history) but I'm mostly indifferent to it in modern times. Being more specific with my point: I don't understand the surface level, popular culture gushing over Francis. IE Non-Catholic, Joe Average on Facebook who thinks he's the bee's knees because of lip service that makes the church appear slightly more "hip".

There may be a lot of Catholics nominally, but how many of these, at least in the first world, are much more than "cafeteria Catholics" so to speak? Catholicism is, I understand, still a spiritually and socially potent force in Latin America and other parts of the third world. But in the west, I think Brett's more right than wrong.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.