Another mass shooting

Darth Ender

Guest El Chalupacabra

That is because they are both simplistic arguments that don't take culture, training, etc. into account. There are people who collect guns, who like shooting, who have amassed ridiculous collections, and I feel totally safe around them; there are people who'd make me feel unsafe just carrying around a bb gun.

That doesn't mean people with armories are necessarily safe, or that we should start registering bb guns.

Personally, I'd love for more people to have guns. Lots more people. But that wouldn't make society any more safe unless there are also major cultural changes along the lines of the average person's level of personal responsibility/maturity/emotional stability, along with training, etc.

Gotta disagree with you there on this particular issue at NAU, Pong.

I would totally trust an 18-21 year old woman with a gun in a college setting, but 18-21 year old man, or should I say boy? Not so much. When you consider how coddled a lot of kids are these days, I think a lot of men these days are as mentally immature as children until their mid 20s.

Unless they can prove that they are responsible (and this is a minority for sure), these days most 18-early 20s men are just too immature to handle the responsibility of a gun. So, I would prefer higher education campuses enforce gun free zones, at least where it concerns college students, anyway.

Last night on the local news a gun shop was advocating the citizenry of San Antonio stock up on guns because we are an ISIS target because of being a military city. Apparently Jade Helm's hype was not enough quell those feelings that ISIS is right across the border.

LMAO! Like ISIS doesn't have more pressing things to worry about these days, even if they weren't on the other side of the planet.

I've been having tons of fun in the comments section of another viral news story about some G.O.P idiot who figures that if the Jews of Europe all had guns, the holocaust wouldn't have happened. Gun nuts really are their own brand of stupid.

I would totally trust an 18-21 year old woman with a gun in a college setting, but 18-21 year old man, or should I say boy? Not so much. When you consider how coddled a lot of kids are these days, I think a lot of men these days are as mentally immature as children until their mid 20s.
Unless they can prove that they are responsible (and this is a minority for sure), these days most 18-early 20s men are just too immature to handle the responsibility of a gun. So, I would prefer higher education campuses enforce gun free zones, at least where it concerns college students, anyway.

Dude, we agree. I think you missed the part where I said "unless there are also major cultural changes along the lines of the average person's level of personal responsibility/maturity/emotional stability, along with training, etc. " which is exactly what you're talking about, I think? Nah, at least in today's society, I wouldn't trust the average college student (especially a college boy), either.

I don't trust college kids with anything sharp, either. Bringing more than two college students together causes the maturity level to fall through the floor and the drama level to go through the roof. Quite entertaining from a distance, until they try to do something stupid with my lab equipment.

I don't understand the idea that more guns lead to a more polite society. Are we all supposed to interact with each other only with the threat of violence hanging over our heads? Was the old American frontier culture really so great and so safe that it's worth emulating in our frontier-less society with 10 times the population? How many honor duels and spontaneous shoot-outs would we have weekly if everyone were to carry a gun?

For all these people that want to stock up on guns and arm themselves - places in Africa and the Middle East practically hand out guns to children - have no gun laws and live a very codified type of life and look how they've solved their problems.

I wanna see a statistic that shows gun deaths by mental issue but then you'd have to include suicides I think. I think all those mental awareness groups promoting one type of another of metail problems or issues have it right. If we had more support and options for families who have a member with some sort of mental diagnosis. Others may also recognize issues before they become deadly. I just think that a lot of functioning psychos live in our society unrecognized.

I wish Snoop were still here to post in this thread.

I got you:

"Something incredibly ignorant. Rampant flaming of anyone who disagrees. Crying when everyone disagrees further. Calls everyone a nerd and says he was drunk and posting for LULZ. Final remark that is incredibly racist and ban-worthy, but it's cool cause he works with a black dude."

I don't understand the idea that more guns lead to a more polite society. Are we all supposed to interact with each other only with the threat of violence hanging over our heads? Was the old American frontier culture really so great and so safe that it's worth emulating in our frontier-less society with 10 times the population? How many honor duels and spontaneous shoot-outs would we have weekly if everyone were to carry a gun?

It's this macho fantasy that everybody's gonna be Clint Eastwood, drawing guns at lightning speed and releasing multiple shots with pin point accuracy. Because we all know how those old spaghetti westerns portrayed gun usage so accurately. Presumably to thwart the sinister, un-American world lurking in the shadows beyond their red state suburbs: Muslims, commies, black and brown people, Muslims, terrorists, Muslims, criminals, and of course their evil overlord, Obama. Did I mention Muslims?

I have no quarrel with gun ownership per-se. But gun nuts are definately the SJWs of the right: all neurotic, paranoid fantasy narratives reflecting their personal insecurities, no substance. Guns are their golden calves, the totems and graven idols of yet another Godless religion. Slogans chanted like ritual incantations - "If guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns" "The first thing Hitler did is disarm his population" and so on. They will be as effective in promoting responsible gun usage as "stop teaching women not to get raped, start teaching men not to rape" will be in curbing sexual violence. Which will be very little, but will give their respective congregants valid pretext to stage protests - our era's variation on the idea of religious and magical ritual.

I wish Snoop were still here to post in this thread.

I got you:

"Something incredibly ignorant. Rampant flaming of anyone who disagrees. Crying when everyone disagrees further. Calls everyone a nerd and says he was drunk and posting for LULZ. Final remark that is incredibly racist and ban-worthy, but it's cool cause he works with a black dude."

I was especially thinking of the racist comments after Spam posted about African violence.

• 2 weeks later...

It wasn't a mass shooting, but I don't have the heart to make another thread dedicated to some a$$**** killing people.

A mentally deranged woman plowed into a parade at my alma mater last weekend, killing at least 4 (so far), including a 2 year old.

I feel so terrible for all those people. What should have been a pretty happy occasion was ruined by yet another mentally deranged person. Her mug shot is spectacular.

My sister has had a history of mental issues but she's never wanted to harm other people beyond throwing things and my Mom's pretty off balance too as she's finally been diagnosed with a personality disorder because of her stay in the hospital. They had to order a psych eval because she kept picking at a particular part of her head until it bled. I feel confident though that my Mom or my sister wouldn't drive into a crowd of people or shoot up a place. I mostly just worry about them committing suicide or doing something harmful to themselves. I can't even imagine like "being in charge" of a mental person but clearly we need to look into this because of the danger they present to society as a whole. The guy who shot up Sandy Hook, the dude who stabbed his Dad who tried getting help for his son, that woman that did that on Oklahoma all should have been on some kind of watch or I dunno something but society just wants us to buy more guns because that'll stop 'em.

I personally don't think I could take care of both my Mom and my sister together and would feel overwhelmed.

• 1 month later...

So, the Isis shooters were scarfing down Adderal and Xanax. Does anybody know if the Planned Parenthood freak was on any antidepressants/anxiety meds, or was his only vice Bibles and cheap bourbon?

Obviously not suggesting all terrorists are on brain candy, btw, was just surprised to read that; so many shooters have been prescribed medication, but if there would have been a pair of shooters not on brain meds, I would have expected it to be them.

Recreational xanax users don't come across to me as dangerous.

I've got a student though that has to go to the nurses office for his adderall and he's a real "pill" in the classroom. For some reason because of my experiences with this kid it makes me think bad things about that medication and its pill takers.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.