Woman gets a bill for not showing up to a wedding

Guest El Chalupacabra

Guest El Chalupacabra

http://abcnews.go.com/Lifestyle/minnesota-woman-billed-bride-missing-wedding/story?id=34160008

So, basically, some woman is unable to go to a wedding because she can't get someone to watch her kid at the last minute, because her normal sitter fell through. It's not uncommon to bring kids to weddings, so maybe that is a lame excuse not to show to a wedding, maybe not. I tend to think that if plans were made to attend, and the baby sitter falls through, while it is a weaker excuse for a no show because she could have brought the kid, it is still an acceptable one. We don't know if her kid has behavioral issues, or maybe she just didn't want to deal with her kid at a wedding, but I think that is a reasonable enough reason to not show to a wedding. Anyway, this lady a while later gets a bill for $76 for the no-show. Sounds more like one of those "it's the principle, not the money" things, but still, this bride and groom are billing a family member. That is just lame. Maybe if it was so important for this woman to be there, the bride and groom should have paid for her daycare, no?

What is it with people who think the world needs to stop for them and all eyes need to be on them for a whole day, just because they are getting married? I've been to enough weddings to know that for the most part, you are guaranteed to see someone get drunk and act the fool, at least one girl cry because the attention isn't on her or is jealous of the bride, there may be a family or in law argument, and no matter how right it goes, something is always "wrong" to the bride or some family member. As a result, I've learned to hate weddings. Not to mention we can legitimately say now that more often than not, it's going to end in divorce, anyway. If your "special day is ruined," just wait about 7 years, and you will get to do it over again at your second wedding.

Thoughts?

wedding ass hats. I know that weddings cost a lot but if you as the bride and groom and whoever is paying for it feel that petty that you'll send a bill to a person who you invited and they RSVP'd but didn't show I wanna say wtf as this is a friend you supposedly invited. Something in me feels like there's an ulterior motive to this besides collecting on the lost funds of paying for a rubber chicken dinner and cheap wine and champagne.

Other than someone getting drunk and acting a fool, none of that has ever happened at a wedding I've been to. Ever. Nor do I know anyone who felt slighted that someone didn't show at the last moment.

Some people are just stupid. And their marriage won't last.

Every wedding I've ever attended, including my own, always had some kind of stupidity or drama of exactly the nature Chalup is describing. A drunken family member. A parent freaking out over "losing their baby." Jealous exes. Fights among the bridesmaids over catching the bouquet. Standoffishness between the two families. There were even fisticuffs at a cousin of mine's wedding wherein the bride's redneck parents did not approve of my cousin marrying her.

"...and no matter how right it goes, something is always "wrong" to the bride or some family member ..." LMAO! Truer words were never spoken, Chalup. Truer words were never spoken.

We had a few no shows. Also had a few uninvited guests so it worked out. I do think it's rude to no show for no good reason, but illnesses and lack of babysitters happen. Most people now do not want children at their wedding, either. I can tell you that I don't even like bringing my kids now, at least at the ages they are. The reception is loud, the kids need to go to bed, ugh. Babysitter or decline is the way to go.

Wait until bridezilla becomes a mom. No one's gonna babysit her kid and justice will be served!

The wedding specifically said "no children," too, so **** those people.

I mean, don't get me wrong -- if it's not one of Destiny's kids, I probably hate the creature, too. But the fact that the couple explicitly said no kids makes them seem even more narcissistic and controlling. Kids have been going to weddings since forever. Get over yourselves.

You can't bill someone for NOT showing up to your party. Even if said party is a wedding and you payed for expensive catering for it. This sorta stuff makes me sick. Not only are you expected to buy the happy couple some kind of gift from a list of preordained "acceptable" gifts which are usually expensive homeware (Creuset pots etc), you may have to book flights and accommodation just to get to the ****ing venue in the first place. Now if you don't show up you're billed for it!?!? Ridiculous.

here is an idea.

instead of having some narcissistic fairytale 'Cinderella' bullshit wedding with fairy lights, a church, hotel, and michelin star food that you need to charge your guests for if they can't make it, you get hitched in a registry office in front of a few friends and family and have a party somewhere that doesn't require a mortgage to finance ffs. ****ing weddings. They're usually a fun time but christ if people don't make them into a bigger deal than they need to be.

This is clearly tacky and rude, but I know that I kind of wished I could do that for the family of 6 that didn't show at my wedding because the drive was too long. Why did they RSVP yes and make me pay for 6 meals then? The drive time didn't change between the RSVP and wedding date. Also tacky and rude in my opinion.

You gotta be prepared to take the hit IMO. If you want your day to live up to whatever expectations you have thats on you. Including people not showing up. Sure.. if entire families don't show when they said yes.. then maybe they should've offered (to pay). But I mean.. that food isn't gonna go to waste. There are always plenty of people at weddings that'll eat more than their quota. Plus weddings are just supposed to be a celebration and fun. fuck expectations.

The last decent wedding I went to was in a registry office, and a reception (party) with food at a meeting room in a hotel. The bride wound up breakdancing in her wedding dress to Run DMC. It was awesome. Other than the venue hire and catering, the bill would not have been on the extravagant side at all. And it was the best wedding Ive been to.

This is clearly tacky and rude, but I know that I kind of wished I could do that for the family of 6 that didn't show at my wedding because the drive was too long. Why did they RSVP yes and make me pay for 6 meals then? The drive time didn't change between the RSVP and wedding date. Also tacky and rude in my opinion.

Absolutely understand how you feel.

The difference is that you aren't tacky and rude. People like your no-shows make the world harder for all of us, but you didn't respond to their lack of class with more of the same, and that's worth something, even if you had to eat their bill.

My first thought is :shit happens; get over it.

Honestly-with all the details surrounding a wedding and reception-THIS is your biggest problem? Don't professional planners/caterers anticipate

that a few may show up uninvited and some may RSVP and not make it? Six persons they haven't seen in 12 years 'broke' this wedding/couple? What

if this family had decided they didn't care for and finish their entrees? Would they have also been fined for wasting food?

This is one of the most ridiculous, petty things I've seen. I think everyone involved should be slapped for being tacky and rude.

The plus side of having a huge wedding is that you don't even know if people didn't show.

Although we had extra people show up at our wedding. About 20 more than RSVPd.

Guest El Chalupacabra

The plus side of having a huge wedding is that you don't even know if people didn't show.

Although we had extra people show up at our wedding. About 20 more than RSVPd.

At least you didn't have a s***load of leftovers, right?

It's a thing that some people have been doing. You'll see news stories every few months. I'm not sure if it's a real thing or people just trying to get some small level of fame.

Guest El Chalupacabra

If I got a bill like this from extended family, I might scoot the "family boundary" in a little closer to cut these people out.

For me, there would be no "might."

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.