Comic Book Baseball

Sonny

What the hell has happened to baseball coverage, especially on the Baseball Network? If you watch a lot of baseball as I do, I'm sure you've noticed how they've superimposed comic book like graphics over replays, lead ins, intros, etc. I can only assume this is to try to appeal to a younger audience but that is both cynical and short sighted. What teenager is flipping through channels- was about to pass by the baseball channel- sees the comic book graphics- and stays on the channel and suddenly becomes a baseball fan for life?

That never happens, I can promise you.

Either you like the game itself, or no amount of fancy smancy comic book graphics are going to change your mind about that. They're just going to alienate old farts like myself.

If ad promos aren't enough to draw in new fans, how can they be enough to alienate current fans? If you like the game for itself, as you say, how can a graphic turn you off it so easily?

Its kind of like dating. Anybody you date is going to do annoying things or be annoying. You overlook it because otherwise they're fun and exciting. But each annoying thing sits there in the back of your mind and before you know it there's a large enough collection of annoying things that you realize you're just not that into her anymore. No one thing is a deal breaker, but with each annoyance you enjoy the game a little bit less.

In this case it's not the end of the world. I was just curious if anyone else had noticed and if anyone else had a rationale for what comic book graphics have to do with baseball in the slightest.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.