The Muppet Show returns!

CoLA

It's not like the original, more like a cross of the first series but with a touch of the Office. I thought it was pretty funny but I'm not sure it's still supposed to be for kids? Some of the jokes were things that would go over kids heads, I think, like Fozzy saying he was getting a lot of the wrong responses for a personal ad he put in for a "passionate bear looking for love". :p

I don't know that I'm pissed, exactly, especially not having seen it, but the thing that I was excited about was having new Muppets to share with my kids. Sounds like this isn't it.

Plus, the Muppets have always been innocent, which is part of the humor. They're in a family friendly environment and they're still too innocent to really catch on to things. Now it sounds like that's changing, which changes everything about the characters.

So, if it's on Hulu I'll probably check it out. Otherwise, I'll watch The Muppet Show.

To be fair, it's not as though that never, ever happened in the original series. My wife and I watched all of Season 1 a while back, and there was a line in the Ruth Buzzi episode (it escapes me just now) that made our jaws drop and had us asking each other, "Did she really just say that?"

A definite "whoa" moment. But it was one moment out of an entire season. Maybe things got risqué more often in later years. Wouldn't know; haven't gotten to those yet.

But all the early 'net commentary gave me reason enough to skip this. Nostalgia or not, I've zero interest in any kind of series (with or without puppets) where the showrunners are like giggling schoolkids eager to see how often they can get away with naughty pranks under the principal's nose.

Also, I've always super-hated Miss Piggy, and the idea of her having a more authoritative position in the show sounds wretched.

The Muppets are trying to be like a Pixar production. Seemingly for kids, but with more subtle jokes for adults. Something for everyone. This is nothing new, even for the Muppets.

Plus, the Muppets are OLD. The show is for people my age who grew up with the Muppets to enjoy, and bonus-- it's okay if their kids watch too.

The real problem here is that the show just isn't as funny as it needs to be.

Yeah, anyone who is upset about any of it is just a perv.

I'll give it another shot. It wasn't very funny, and it tried too hard. Too many storylines that all were trying to be primary, and not enough humor.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.