OMG! The Pope is here! The POPE!

Ms. Spam

I have a few friends in Philly this week. I had the opportunity to go for super cheap ($70 for a week) but I can't take the time off work, or be so far away with the baby due in 2 weeks.

I'm in no way Catholic and previously had somewhat of a disdain of the organization in general, but I am a huge fan of Pope Francis. I can't think of any other one person in my lifetime who has advocated such radical and positive change in the world. If I lived nearer, I'd absolutely take the day off to go hear him speak.

It's funny, because a lot of people believe the same thing you do, yet Francis has been incredibly consistent with both Benedict XVI and John Paul II with what he's said.

So it's really all about style.

If they do, I'm totally naming the baby Jacob.

I mean, not really at all because my wife wouldn't let me and we're having a girl and I hate you, but other than that.

It's funny, because a lot of people believe the same thing you do, yet Francis has been incredibly consistent with both Benedict XVI and John Paul II with what he's said.

So it's really all about style.

I think it is the way he presents himself that makes him so different. I was tiny when he came to San Antonio but all the abuelitas cross themselves and still tell you stories of getting to touch that Pope's sleeve or hear his mass. A local jeweler even crafted the communion chalice and plate he used. So this is big stuff for Francis to come.

You mean when John Paul II came? I thought you were older than me, and I wouldn't even classify myself as tiny in 1987.

And, yeah, it's a huge deal. It was a huge deal with JPII came, and when Benedict came.

Although in many ways, Benedict and Francis are identical in statements, the biggest difference is stylistic. Benedict abandoned the man to the office, despite the fact that he was at heart a very unassuming, poor man. I've heard countless stories of people speaking to an old priest walking around Vatican City, only to later discover it was Cardinal Ratzinger, still wearing tattered old clothes. Francis has presented the world with a consistent image, believing that it's important for Jorge Bergoglio to be seen and known as well.

Otherwise, they're so similar that it would be virtually impossible to tell who wrote what parts of Lumen fidei.

I also suspect that, if anyone read actual comments from either man, you would discover that a lot of the difference is coming from the media. The narrative of Francis being different is exciting and gets clicks, whether you're in favor of those changes or against them.

My friend needs to be in Philly this weekend for a non Pope related fundraiser. I feel bad for her since my plan is to avoid the eastern part of the state until he's gone. The traffic will be insane!

That sounds like a pretty poorly planned fundraiser.

Guest El Chalupacabra

omg am i the only person in america who doesnt have popeamania

No, you can count me in too. It's probably because I'm not Catholic. But I don't have anything against the Pope, or the people excited to see him, either.

Guest El Chalupacabra

But I don't have anything against the Pope, or the people excited to see him, either.

yeah its actually kind of cool seeing people be almost as geeked out to see the pope as they were about going to their last cosplay event

Well, we all live in an age that you can't throw a rock without hitting a public figure (celebrity, politician, etc) who was touted as being a hero people can look up to, only to be disgraced or somehow let those people down, somehow. Makes one become jaded and cynical to think no one is above reproach, so seeing a Pope like this, is a bit refreshing*.

*And now that I just said that, we can now start the count down for the next Papal scandal.

I don't know if my hyperbole is coming across but yeah... the original intent of this thread was to mock the weird over-joyous love fest that's going on right now. My news feed is full of "LOOK AT THIS MIRACLE!" but there was one funny one concerning some reporting by Fox that involved bird poop falling from heaven to anoint a Fox news reporter.

But it is kind of exciting. About 60% of San Antonio identify as Catholic and as mostly poor blue collar workers they adore this Pope and it seems like he's much more approachable than say Ratzenburger was. When I go on home visits for students you'll usually see three things that are in their homes where grandparents live. A portrait of Kennedy, a rosary and cross and a picture of Pope John Paul and now Pope Francis (I think he is adored more because of being from the America's and speaking at least Spanish here) or a Mary Guadalupe shrine in the front yard.

Yeah, it's unfortunate for sure. But when a wealthy benefactor offers to host on Pope weekend, you take it!

True, but rich people can also be stupid. If the Pope were coming to Columbus, I definitely wouldn't be trying to get people to travel in the city for any reason.

It's because his Catholicism is not in line with the "Catholicism" of "devout" American Catholics who worship the greatest god, Ayn Rand.

The more liberal sides of the media ignored it coming from the previous two popes who said the same things, so they could ignore it.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.