Dallas High School Student Arrested for Making a Digital Clock!

Ms. Spam

It's not a briefcase. It's a pencil case. And there's nothing in there to actually explode. I would think this kid is smart enough to come up with a better fake than that. But who knows! I don't blame the school for calling the cops in this case, but I think handcuffing him and removing him from campus was excessive.

I don't have a problem with the cops arresting him at all. The kid was being a smartass and should've known better.

Whether or not he's charged the message is clear now to him and his fellow students, which is if you pull shit like this you're gonna get in trouble.

And then of course Obama invites him to the White House. Way to undermine the system, dude. That's what your good at.

Guest El Chalupacabra

It's not a briefcase. It's a pencil case. And there's nothing in there to actually explode. I would think this kid is smart enough to come up with a better fake than that. But who knows! I don't blame the school for calling the cops in this case, but I think handcuffing him and removing him from campus was excessive.

Whatevs. Still looks bomb-like to the lay person.

If the police charge this boy I will be outraged. The school can mete out whatever punishment they want.

I don't have a problem with the cops arresting him at all. The kid was being a smartass and should've known better.

Whether or not he's charged the message is clear now to him and his fellow students, which is if you pull **** like this you're gonna get in trouble.

And then of course Obama invites him to the White House. Way to undermine the system, dude. That's what your good at.

I don't think he needs to be charged criminally, but I agree with Tex on this one. He deserved the frogmarching.

He probably would think twice before doing something like this again, too, but now you have a president basically rewarding him for his shenanigans.

I haven't seen anything that suggests he did it as a joke or a prank. His story is that he made a clock and brought it to show a teacher. How is that a prank?

Oh, I don't know. The fact that it resembles a BOMB? What purpose does that serve? It's inappropriate to bring a device that resembles a bomb like that to school.

If the kid is smart enough to get into MIT he should know that this thing has the potential to freak out a teacher.

If he's not that smart maybe he needs to spend less time building clocks and more time observing the world around him. If he had taken that to an airport he would've gotten hammered for it. Why would it be any different at a school?

And where the fuck are his parents in this thing? Did they honestly think their Muslim kid could haul this thing into school and NOT attract attention?

Whether or not he's charged the message is clear now to him and his fellow students, which is if you pull **** like this you're gonna get in trouble.

You think it's okay to cuff a boy and arrest him for being a smartass? Pretty sure that's illegal.

This looks like a bomb to me and if I were a teacher I'd err on the side of caution. But then-do the teachers know this kid? Is he new at this school? Is he a sullen loner who seems like he might do something like blow up his school? And even if that answer is yes-isn't the next step to evacuate the area?

I also think that most of this wouldn't have happened if the kid was white.

Six schools in San Diego had bomb threats called in today. I work across the street from one, and for most of the day we were on lockdown--to the point where we weren't even allowed to go into the lobby, let alone outside. That's what you do when you legitimately think there's a bomb, right?

Happened to the high school next to my kids school yesterday too.

Made me realize, they say the arrested this kid cause it looked like a bomb, and yet bomb squad did not come, school wasn't evacuated, they took pictures of it and the police took him away with it.

So did they really think it was a bomb or was something else up?

I have a sneaking suspicion that this kid is of average intelligence. You can get those clock kits for kids in middle school. Boy is MIT going to be disappointed.

MIT needs average intelligences. The tightly-wound, type-A personalities that were always better than everyone need to still be better than someone, else they start killing themselves. If this kid gets into MIT, he'll learn the true meaning of smart-ass.

There's a lot that's mysterious about this, and we're only getting one side of it.

Based on what's provided, it seems pretty ridiculous. But that doesn't mean that it really is ridiculous. There are too many inconsistencies.

And there are very different types of intelligence. Not everyone who is capable of doing things is also capable of knowing if they should do things, whether they want to go to MIT or not.

And so far all he's gotten is an invitation to visit MIT, not early acceptance or anything. If anything, it's MIT just trying to get some free press and extend their name into a discussion about science and technology.

What's ridiculous is rewarding this kid for doing something stupid.

And now apparently smart people are too ambitious and can't be trusted not to kill themselves? Let's just give everyone a participation trophy and ignore true accomplishment.

Hurray for mediocrity and goodbye natural selection, if that's the case. Idiocracy here we come.

Wow. The miss information on Facebook has been worse than in this thread.

I think they should praise and reward him. He seems like a kid struggling to be liked outside of the family community and with anti-bullying and race issues I think the response from Obama was just fine.

From a teacher point of view I am concerned about how fast the picture of him in handcuffs got out as he is still a minor.

From a teacher point of view I am concerned about how fast the picture of him in handcuffs got out as he is still a minor.

Would you mind sharing a little more of your thoughts on that? Seems like it was his family sharing it.

That's what concerns me - It does seem like a weird family decision. Are they socially awkward as a family and have to manufacture a situation to get attention? Someone had to help that kid get the pieces to build his timer clock.

And Chalupa, HA. I do a lot of posting during the week from my phone and that is what it autocorrected to!

If it was a teenager, of course she's unable to understand the gravity.

And at this point, what IS the gravity? Kid got famous, got invited to take some tours, got out of a school where it seems likely that he doesn't want to be and probably isn't welcome.

The only real seriousness is that idiots like us are talking about it still, and Richard Dawkins and Ben Carson are now in love and going to have a baby.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.