Drum circles

Guest El Chalupacabra

Guest El Chalupacabra

Are you talking about literal circles of people playing drums? Like bongos? Cause, if I were elected percussion groups would face immediate detainment with the very real prospect of deportation.

I'm talking like.....

I've always felt it was a good way to experience a lame 60s style party. Every Ren Faire seems to have one at the end of the night of people who work them just trying to chill.

On another subject but kind of related: Has Burning Man jumped shark? It just seems so I dunno filled with a certain clientele of people now and is just horrible for the environment.

Are you talking about literal circles of people playing drums? Like bongos? Cause, if I were elected percussion groups would face immediate detainment with the very real prospect of deportation.

I'm talking like.....

There is no excuse for that kind of happiness.

Guest El Chalupacabra

HATE

No. LOVE. It's time for a new paradigm.

I've always felt it was a good way to experience a lame 60s style party. Every Ren Faire seems to have one at the end of the night of people who work them just trying to chill.

On another subject but kind of related: Has Burning Man jumped shark? It just seems so I dunno filled with a certain clientele of people now and is just horrible for the environment.

Yeah, but were you convinced?

There is no excuse for that kind of happiness.

Happiness is an inside job.

Is it still 1968? What the hell?

The Age of Aquarius never ended. The party's just beginning. What's your sign?

As a musician that plays (and occasionally gets paid to play) hand drums, I have a somewhat complicated relationship with drum circles. Drum circles come in many types, simply because the people that attend them come in many different types. When I first started drumming, I went to quite a few of these things. Over the years, I've become much more selective/experienced/jaded/cynical.

There are some circles that have been pure joy to be a part of, because they were made up of fellow musicians who had the desire and ability to create something together. There have been others that I quickly left, because they were filled with drunken, attention-seeking A-holes who happened to have access to a drum (but, often, not to a sense of rhythm). Then there are the "healing power of music" types. They can be sort of a mixed bag, because I can relate to their genuine love of music, but the rest of it can be a bit much. Plus, y'know, hippies tend to smell bad.

My general rule of thumb is that a smaller group of like-minded musicians will probably be fun. A large open group, however, will likely attract plenty of people I wouldn't want to hang out with, would be overly monotonous, and would generally sound like mud. If I somehow do get talked into going to one of those now, it has to include both free alcohol and plenty of belly dancers.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.