the visit

Pong Messiah

62% on Rotten Tomatoes.

While his movies have absolutely been sucky, there are numerous critics who have, IMO, taken clear pleasure in ripping his movies apart, so it's a bit of a quandary:

Are they tired of kicking him around or has the bar been lowered so far they are giving his film too much credit -- giving it positive reviews simply for not sucking?

Or is it actually a decent horror/comedy flick?

:eek:

Oh God. I hate that movie more than Phantom Menace.

And I actually love Unbreakable too. It is what damned him though. Two movies, both with a megatwist. If he didn't do the twist he'd forever be accused of not living up to Sixth Sense, if he does it, that becomes his thing.

Stop doing the thing, make a not so good movie, and you tank.

Tank being relative-- he's still been working consistently.

Oh God. I hate that movie more than Phantom Menace.

Signs?

I thought the setup portion of the movie and its use of sound and light was brilliant. Admittedly, its decent into mediocrity and finally absurdity ruined any hope of it being a great -- or even very good -- flick, but I forgave its flaws for sentimental reasons (hey, I grew up with a creepy barn. Don't judge me!).

Hi! I'm an alien! My technology is so advanced I have mastered interstellar travel! Speed of light? No problem! Just don't trap me with a wooden door! Lol! Anyways. I'm off to invade another planet. The only thing that can stop me (other than wooden doors) is water! I mean sure, this planet I'm looking at is 85% water and it rains over 70% of the land mass-- but that shouldn't be an issue.

I mean-- you're right. There were some great scenes of tension in there. The "home video" of the alien was well done and super creepy. But those moments were lost under the weight of some Ed Wood level plot idiocy that I couldn't forgive.

Remember the one Night made where trees made people kill themselves because pollution?

I saw this movie tonight. It was great. It has some really funny moments but it's also super creepy. The teenagers losing their minds and screaming at parts that weren't even scary added to the fun energy of seeing it in a theater. I screamed once, at a part that wasn't scary but will haunt me for a very long time.

My wife and I saw The Visit last night. It was very good. It was one of those odd films wherein the whole turned out to be better than the sum of the parts. The plot, acting, dialogue and so forth were good, but not great. But it all came together in a way that really worked for me.

Besides, 62% on Rotten Tomatoes? That's pretty damn good. I've really enjoyed films that got lower grades than that. Now that I thin about it, did even Citizen Kane pull 62% on Rotten Tomatoes? They're a bloody tough crowd.

Tank, I get the hangup on Signs but we don't know the aliens motivations for coming to Earth. Whatever reason they came here for must not have been available on any other planet. So, water or not, they figured they would take that chance. It doesn't seem that far fetched. Or at the least, I can suspend my disbelief enough. I would have an issue with it if it were the primary plot, but it's really only a sub plot.

And the door? Despite them being pretty strong, why couldn't they be locked in a room? Sure they have plenty of technology but the aliens don't seem to carry any of that with them.

Tank, I get the hangup on Signs but we don't know the aliens motivations for coming to Earth. Whatever reason they came here for must not have been available on any other planet. So, water or not, they figured they would take that chance. It doesn't seem that far fetched. Or at the least, I can suspend my disbelief enough. I would have an issue with it if it were the primary plot, but it's really only a sub plot.

And the door? Despite them being pretty strong, why couldn't they be locked in a room? Sure they have plenty of technology but the aliens don't seem to carry any of that with them.

Here is the number one I live by as a screenwriter-- it's what I was taught, and it's what I do in my work, and what I've taught my students: suspension of disbelief is NEVER mentioned in a well-written, well-made movie.

You can't present something as incredibly intelligent and incredibly stupid at the same time without destroying the credibility.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.