Shattered Empire

Mara Jade Skywalker

Anyone pick up issue #1 yesterday?

I don't normally read comics, but I made an exception for post-Jedi content.

I thought it was pretty good, if short. I still much prefer reading prose.

Also, there's a pretty big tie-in to The Force Awakens.

The main characters are a married couple: Lieutenant Shara Bey and Sargeant Kes Dameron. And Poe just might be an Endor baby.

That's a practice that I normally try to dissuade people from because for a lot of creators, they don't get a trade if the single issues don't sell well... that said, I'm pretty sure Marvel/Star Wars/Disney is doing okay and you can count on them being collected.

I enjoyed it. It was a nice way to touch on the immediate happenings after RotJ, include many of the main characters, but still focus on new characters to help tie into TFA, while also not feeling overdone, really, in any of these areas. They did a good job picking Rucka to write this.

Yeah, it's him. I just started reading his and Ed Brubaker's run on Gotham Central very recently after Comixology had a nice sale on it and have been loving it. I know I've read other books by him, too, but I don't remember exactly what ones. I don't think I have ever really heard of anything but solid things about him.

Thinking about it now, this series seems off to a somewhat similar start to Gotham Central in some ways. That book deals with the Gotham PD dealing with crimes, both regular and those caused by Batman's rogues gallery. The book is very much about the police as they deal with the world of Batman around them, so they occasionally encounter the well-known characters while they're going about their life. That is the same basic conceit from what we see in this issue (although the style and genre is, of course, considerably different).

Despite any criticisms there may be of the new books, Marvel has definitely put good writers on the series.

I read the first issue.

I was annoyed that it started off a recap of the final scenes of Return of the Jedi, albeit from the perspective of new characters. I find that I have a hard time getting into new characters, but, at the same time, I don't like existing characters to be misused. I haven't decided about the book yet. They used Han quite a bit, but even he seemed like a peripheral character here.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.