Welcome to Nightly.Net
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Station Eleven

5 replies to this topic

Pong Messiah

Pong Messiah

don't want to be buried in a pet cemetery

• 19,360 posts

So anybody read Station Eleven?

I've had not one, but two friends tell me independently that they felt "suckered" into reading this book, cause it's "not really great science fiction like so many people are gushing," but they forgave it on merits of being a "beautiful story."

Aside from the Star Trek quote, I really liked it too, and didn't feel at all cheated by not receiving detailed descriptions of the pandemic. As far as post-apocalyptia goes, I would give it a sold 7.5. No MaddAddam trilogy but I'm glad to have read it

Darth Krawlie

Darth Krawlie

privileged ****lord

• Moderators
  • 34,256 posts
It was on my list and was going to read it next, actually, but the more reviews I read the more turned off I got. Maybe I'll give it a shot someday.

Pong Messiah

Pong Messiah

• 19,360 posts
the more reviews I read the more turned off I got

Why is that?

Darth Krawlie

Darth Krawlie

privileged ****lord

• Moderators
  • 34,256 posts
I'm not especially interest in earth based sci fi right now, and I'm particularly tired of worldwide epidemics and dystopias. Like I said though, I'm sure I'll swing back around at some point.

Also I got annoyed at how far down then hold list I was at the library. My hold would expire long before it'd be my turn
  • Pong Messiah +1 this

UK Legend Killa

UK Legend Killa

Double NFF Champion

• 19,652 posts
I'm halfway through it now.

Seems good enough, but nothing special. Characters are well rounded and the interconnections between the characters are fun to spot. However it does seem to be playing up the cliches a little.

I need to start it up again soon, just not had time

Pong Messiah

Pong Messiah

• 19,360 posts

Personally, I'd rate it higher than "good enough but nothing special," and I appreciated that it had a different tone and feel than what I've come to expect from the genre, but it does make me wonder how weak the field must have been for it to win the Arthur C. Clarke award.

Reply to this topic