Lucas1138

You're right though, it doesn't need to be the necklace doing the magic trick. I thought taking off the necklace was symbolic of her losing her faith. Maybe she always sleeps old.

Yeah, that's how I took it. And iirc, in ADwD:

Rattleshirt, who was only going to change form for a short time (just long enough to be killed) didn't need a ruby. Mance, whose deception is more permanent, had one sewed into his shirt or sleeve or something. Could be she can retain the form for awhile without the necklace (a la Rattleshirt or gettin' naked), so I don't see it as a huge deal

No no I meant you saying maybe she could retain the form for a while. If so why then but not this time?

And yeah I don't give a shit either way so just placing mental bets for my own amusement ... was this a ret-con or are the rules as yet unexplained?

No no I meant you saying maybe she could retain the form for a while. If so why then but not this time?

My interpretation: if I had a rack like that, I'd probably want to keep it perky for the entire bath... but if I were going to bed alone and cranky with my God, I'd be all "Nah, not worth the effort."

Well-rounded first episode. A little action, a little humor, a little story progression, and it touched on many story threads all jammed into one episode. It didn't have TOO many things going on, but came close to that, which is probably why I thought it felt a little too short as well. Oh, and a little titty. Right before...well let's just say...

...Mellisandre needs to keep the beer goggles amulet on.

It could be as simple as Martin didn't even know he was going to make her an old harpy in disguise at that time, so there was no objection when she was filmed without any amulet on. If it's not in the book, you can retcon it in there with your own imagination. if it's not on film...it's not on film. That little bit of missed continuity can certainly be forgiven. Don't read into it too much.

The TV version of GoT has always been really close to overfull, occasionally getting lost in all its storylines. But now it's running into the same problem as books 4-5, where there's just so damn much stuff going on, it's impossible not to trip over itself.

My complaint about editing in film and television is usually that it's too masturbatory, too padded. But here, this episode really needed 80-90 minutes to unpack everything.

That said, there were a lot of great individual moments in this show, even if the whole was a bit overwhelming:

• Jaime's confrontation with the High Sparrow was powerful and very well played
  • The Tyrion/Dragons scene was sweeeeet!
  • Tommen's scenes were heartbreaking. He was such a good kid. Not for long. I just hope he doesn't have a heel turn before dying.
  • Ramsey was... Ramsey. Without dear ol' dad around to provide guidance and take the edge off, he's not gonna last long. But he's also gonna cause a crapton of damage as he gets taken out.
  • Wun Wun!

Theon's departure left me with mixed feelings. I get that Sansa feels indebted, and I know Theon has suffered more than anybody in the show, but he betrayed ROBB FRICKEN STARK and murdered innocent children in order to save face. OK, maybe let him go for saving you from crazy crossbow lady, but it's waaaaay too early for hugs. Still, I look forward to seeing him go home and atone.

Jon's resurrection was actually a bit perfunctory -- glad he's back, though!

I was interested in Bran's vision of the past. I'm thinking that it's going to be used as a backdoor flashback where we finally learn the hidden history of Robert's Rebellion and what truly went down between Lyanna Stark and Rhaegar Targaryen finally answering the question of whether they are Jon's parents (plus, why Hodor can't talk apparently).

As for Jon's resurrection, it was obvious enough that it was coming that it would have been better just to leave him lying there until next week.

I was interested in Bran's vision of the past. I'm thinking that it's going to be used as a backdoor flashback where we finally learn the hidden history of Robert's Rebellion and what truly went down between Lyanna Stark and Rhaegar Targaryen finally answering the question of whether they are Jon's parents (plus, why Hodor can't talk apparently).

Yeah, was pretty awesome to see Hodor pre-Hodor!

I am getting concerned about the lack of Littlefinger and Bronn.

I enjoyed this episode. However, as much as I hate to say it, even with two of my favorite characters in the mix, I have yet to really care about anything happening in Essos.

As usual, pong is 100% wrong. This was a fantastic episode.

I'd go so far as to say this was as good as anything on TV since "Hardhome." I liked everything in it... a lot. But I still think my criticism that it just had too much stuff going on is valid.

I mean Bran, Sansa, Theon, Tyrion, Ramsey, Roose, Cersei, Joffrey, Jaime, Yara, Aria, Wun Wun, Davos, Mellisandre, even Jon had great moments. It's a credit to the strength of the show that there is so much good stuff to work with -- how many shows have even 2-3 worthwhile threads? But it didn't leave any breathing room and made my head spin a bit; I still think it needed an additional 20-30 minutes, or perhaps should have moved the Bran, Aria, and Tyrion stuff into to a different episode or something.

:shrug:

Wow, that was tense.

• Two huge killings. Lords of both the Boltons and Greyjoys are now gone. It also sort of fulfills Melissandre's two-season old prophecy that all of the kings involved in the war for the crown would end up dead. Coincidentally, just moments before the last scene.
  • With the Lannister twins being portrayed in a far more sympathetic light lately, Ramsay is easily now the biggest bad of the show. He really is a bastard.
  • Even though he jokes about getting punched in the face the next time he has such an idea, Tyrion has stones of steel. I think it's also very telling that the dragons actually even kind of warmed up to him.
  • Both the Frankenstein Mountain and the Wildling Giant are badasses.
  • Bran's Jedi abilities look like they aren't merely going to be an overly gratuitous exposition device. They are certainly that, and are definitely going to be how we learn about Tower of Joy and very likely R+L=J at this point. But it also feels like it's going to be a lot of character building and setup for when Bran himself returns to the inevitable convergence.
  • No more Sand Snakes or Dorne, thank God.
  • The worst kept secret in TV is finally out, but it'll take a week or so to see what toll that death took on Jon. I really get a feeling that, while he's going to be the poster boy for both the Starks and the main hero of the story from here on out, he won't 100% be the same guy he was prior to being resurrected.

The show really is firing on all cylinders right now, and the writing and plot setting feel very confident at this point. As if there's a real endgame in mind.

The show really is firing on all cylinders right now, and the writing and plot setting feel very confident at this point. As if there's a real endgame in mind.

Yeah, I wonder if GRRM did them a favor not being able to finish in a reasonable amount of time? "Confidence" and "Endgame" are feeling really strong right now.

I will defend seasons 4 and 5, because they were still, IMO, better than pretty much anything save Hannibal but they did meander at times, no getting around that. Season 6 is taking off like a rocket!

In addition to Bronn and Littlefinger already mentioned, we haven't seen Sam and Gilly yet either. Though I could do without them for a while.

Yeah, I am okay with Sam doing the Bran treatment of "He's been training for the whole season".

I just re-watched the Tyrion/Dragons and Wun Wun/Sad Nightwatcher clips. Damn, this show does such a good job lending weight and personality to its props.

Peter Dinklage did a great job talking to what was probably a mop head, but the body language from Viserion and Rhaegal was just brilliant. Making fake stuff feel alive is hard to pull off, but it really felt like they were communicating with one another.

In the case of Wun Wun, the cherry on top was the "heft" of the Sad Nightwatcher's body sliding across the ground as punctuation.

I know GoT has a massive budget for a TV show, but it's still an impressive feat.

I feel almost as if studying the literature instead of writing the literature is more of a bonus the longer this show goes on.

Weiss and Benioff seem to have such a feel for the material now that they are the right custodians to conclude the saga.

I hope to read the ending as Martin saw it, but as time goes on, I feel it less and less likely he will finish the books.

It's more than custodians at this point...

I really hate to say this, but over the last few years I have slowly started to consider the television show the definitive version of the story... recently, even finding myself not stressing about if the books ever get done.

Every other aged hippie in downtown Portland resembles GRRM; I used to text a friend every time I would have a GRRM encounter, saying something like "Just ran into George. He's sitting on the benches near the 5th Avenue food carts eating a tofu scramble, making some teenage girl uncomfortable. Should I tell him to get back to work?"

I tell you, "Get back to work, George!" was a hilarious game for like two years. Now it has gone on for too long for anyone to care.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.