Lucas1138

One example of this (in the books) is Barristan Selmy's dismissal.

Varys is the one to suggest Barristan be dismissed, being held responsible for Robert's death in a way. This has the double benefit of getting wise counsel away from Joffrey as well as puts Barristan in play for Dany.

But in the books why would Vary's want Dany to get wise counsel?

It's been awhile, but isn't it fairly clear he is all in for the Targaryens? Or at the very least all in against the rest of the jokers?

He's in it for the Blackfyres.

It's been awhile, but isn't it fairly clear he is all in for the Targaryens? Or at the very least all in against the rest of the jokers?

That's still nothing more than a (fairly likely, very well supported) fan theory.

Well, I fully defer to you guys.

I haven't read the books since ADwD first came out, and dread re-reading the whole series once/if it is finished. At this point, I think I've forgotten more about the novels than I remember :)

Btw it seems pretty clear that the White Walkers are confined to Westeros, right? They were a weapon created to ouster invaders from the Children's lands. So ... theoretically ... all you need to do is abandon the continent to them.

Not a realistic plan but just putting it out there.

White Walkers are 'indigenous' to Westeros, I guess. But that doesn't mean they didn't reach Essos during The Long Night. All the Long Night/Azor Ahai mythology originates or has an Essosi counterpart. A World of Ice and Fire talks about the Five Forts and stuff like that in the far East of Essos that it isn't explicitly clear what purpose they served.

So, in short, no I don't think it's as simple just abandoning Westeros. For a longer, more well stated answer, check google/reddit lol.

Here's a quick bit:

According to The World of Ice and Fire, there are many legends about the Long Night in the eastern parts of Essos, which would imply that the Long Night was a global event.

Yi Ti

Legend has it that a black stone fell from the sky, and the Bloodstone Emperor began worshipping it, and "practiced dark arts, torture, and necromancy, enslaved his people, took a tiger-woman for his bride, feasted on human flesh". It is believed that he killed the rightful ruler, his sister the Amethyst Empress, in what is known as the Blood Betrayal. Because of that betrayal, the Maiden-Made-of-Light left the world, and her husband, the Lion-of-Night came down on humanity, and that age is called the Long Night. It took the efforts of Hyrkoon the Hero (also known as Azor Ahai, Yin Tar, Neferion, and Eldric Shadowchaser) and his blazing sword Lightbringer to push back the darkness, and restore balance to the world.

The Rhoynar

The Rhoynar are the people of an ancient civilization that grew on the banks of the river Rhoyne, which they worshipped as the Mother Rhoyne. Their legend has it that there was a darkness for so long that the river began to dwindle, and so cold that the river almost completely froze. Ultimately, a hero convinced the children of Mother Rhoyne to join together and sing a song to bring back the dawn.

The Sarnori

The Sarnori are another ancient civilization, centred around the river Sarne in the northern parts of Essos. The Tall Men, as they are called, claim descent from a legendary king known as Huzhor Amai, the Amazing. We don't hear anything about their version of the Long Night, but there is a distinct possibility that Huzhor Amai is a corruption of Azor Ahai. And while we are at it, the first Andal king was believed to be intertwined with the origins of the Faith of the Seven, and he was called Hugor of the Hill. Given that the Axe where the Andals originated is not too far from where the Kingdom of Sarnor existed, we might have something there.

Asshai

The World of Ice and Fire suggests that the legend of the Long Night existed in Asshai for a long time, and they mention a hero who fought with a red sword. Before the Valyrians tamed the dragons, and even before the Ghiscari Empire began, this unnamed hero fought the darkness and drove it away. We don't know when the followers of R'hllor adopted the legend, but they name the hero as Azor Ahai, and his sword as Lightbringer, with a back story where he forged the blade by tempering it in the heart of his wife Nissa Nissa. Their prophecies speak of the return of the darkness, and with it the return of Azor Ahai, who is interchangeably referred to as the Prince that was Promised.

They are SD but a lot of what's happened is Varys' doing. He has been quietly influencing matters overseas for a long time.

He's responsible for putting Jorah with Daenarys. He helped Tyrion kill Tywin and escape. He brought Tyrion across the narrow sea. He has a lot more irons in the fire too.

Not to mention his already established spy network in Essos. The whispering a of little birds...

In short, Varys and Magister Illyrio Mopatis (The guy from season one who helped Viserys sell Danny to the Dothraki) have been plotting the return of the Targaryens for some time. Even steering armies Daenarys' way in the novels. But because we don't see any of that in the TV show it appears that Littlefinger has all the cards.

That's still nothing more than a (fairly likely, very well supported) fan theory.

Well, I fully defer to you guys.

I haven't read the books since ADwD first came out, and dread re-reading the whole series once/if it is finished. At this point, I think I've forgotten more about the novels than I remember :)

This. It's been so long since I read the last book I really can't remember details. And there's not a chance in hell I'm reading all of those again. So I don't know if I'll even read the next book.

I know you all missed my rambling breakdown of the episode so here goes! (Also, this is as much for me as it is for you - when I watched on Sunday I was still pretty tipsy from the Indy 500 so I don't remember many specifics)

The North

- We get some flashes of Bran's visions as he's being walked along by Meera. Things look rather dire when a black rider shows up. Whattya know, they didn't cut Coldhands after all. Although they kind of did because this isn't the same character because it is actually.... Benjen Stark!

- Bran's Visions: First of all, bam told ya we'd get that Mad King flashback. That's the big one here. We see Jaime killing Aerys after he gives the "burn them all" order. We see more wildfire being poured, we see wildfire exploding, we see flashes of a ton of stuff.

- Benjen got stabbed by a White Walker's sword of ice, on the verge of death one of the Children put some dragon glass into his heart and kind of sort of stopped him from dying/turning.

The Reach

- Sam returns home. Randyl Tarly is a jerk, and hates Wildlings. That's quite the establishing shot of Horn Hill - wow. Definitely missed that the first time.

- Sam's mom and sister are rather delightful people. They're pretty alright with Sam visiting and taking in his bastard.

- Add Randyl Tarly to the list of people who are astonishingly perfectly cast in this show.

- Gilly starts talking mad ish to Randyl and he gets pissy once he finds out she's a Wildling. Sam's mom finally has enough and gets Gilly out of there. Randyl tells Sam that Gilly and Little Sam can stay at Horn Hill but Sam is never to return.

- Sam tells Gilly he's got to abandon her and leaves.... except he doesn't. She's going with him and their stealing Heartsbane, the Tarly family's Valyrian steel sword.

King's Landing

- The High Sparrow continues his corruption of Tommen. Margaery continues it in the next scene. Poor kid just gets played by everybody.

- Margaery has apparently dutifully converted to the Faith.... not so fast my friend. Surely this is a ploy on the part of one of the best players in the game. She's trying to negotiate Loras' release.

- Mace Tyrell (so incompetent someone has to lead his horse for him) delivers a pretty badass speech that annoys Jaime to no end and gets precisely zero people pumped up.

- Jaime and the Tyrell soldiers roll up to the Sept prepared to kill every Sparrow in order to stop Margaery's walk of atonement.

- Conflict is avoided because... Tommen has formally accepted the Faith and ushers in a "holy alliance between the Crown and the Faith." The crowd goes wild.

- Tommen strips Jaime of his position as Lord Commander of the Kingsguard. Jaime isn't pleased. Cersei tells him "whatever just deal. Do your duty as a Lanister of Casterly Rock and fuck the shit up we can control. Jaime is being sent to the Riverlands.

- Cersei gives yet another confirmation that she'll demand trial by combat and Robert Strong will be her champion. We still don't know who the Faith will call (#hype).

Riverlands

- Walder Frey is back! We get confirmation that the Blackfish did in fact retake Riverrun. Frey insists his incompetent sons go and take it back.

- Brotherhood Without Banners namechecked!

- Looks like the Freys still have Edmure Tully (heir of Riverrun) captive.

Braavos

- Yes! We get more of the play! .............

- Lady Crane is so good she gets Arya to feel somewhat sympathetic for Cersei's plight of losing her son.

- Arya puts the poison in Lady Crane's rum, but before she makes her getaway Crane recognizes her from repeat viewings of the play.

- Arya ends up giving Lady Crane advice on how to change her final speech. It's a personal touch, because Arya knows exactly how someone would feel when family is taken from her. She would be angry. She'd want to kill the person who did this to her.

- Lady Crane is about to drink the poison and Arya pops up and stops her. And of course the Waif is there to see her.

- A Girl has a name, and it is Arya Stark of Winterfell. BOOM.

- Arya gets back to her room with Needle and blows out the candle - waiting for the Waif.

Essos

- Dany delivers her 538th inspirational "hey listen to me, I'm a Khaleesi, I have DRAGGINZ" speech. No one cares.

- Drogon is quite large.

Looking Ahead

- I posit that the pouring of the wildfire and the exploding casks we see from Bran are actually visions of the future rather than past. One of two scenarios will come to fruition. A) Dany orders Drogon to lay waste to some part of King's Landing and lights old wildfire caches. B) Cersei ends up giving her own version of "Burn them all" (and Jaime will have to kill her to save King's Landing... again).

- Randyl Tarly isn't exactly the type of person who will let the theft of his priceless Valyrian steel sword go unpunished. So he'll pursue Sam to.... Oldtown? Will Sam still go to the place he knows he can't protect Gilly? He'd be abandoning his mission to Jon if he doesn't. Will he go back to The Wall in hopes that Tarly will follow and see the true threat against the realm?

- Arya blows out the candle in her room, knowing the Waif will be coming. If only she had just spent some time training without being able to see....

- Brotherhood Without Banners gets namechecked when Frey is talking. Thoros of Myr slated to appear at some point. Jaime in the Riverlands. Brienne in the Riverlands. HO HUM NOTHING TO SEE HERE.

- Next week we could get two of the absolute best passages in the entire ASOIAF series. The "Broken Man" speech delivered by Ian McShane, and the conversation between Blackfish and Jaime during the siege of Riverrun.

- #GETHYPE brokenmanbrokenmanbrokenman

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.